Reliability

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
How’s everyone liking their CR TDI? My old ALH is getting near end of life and was thinking of moving into a newer TDI? I’ve heard they could develop problems with the fuel system? Is there also def system? How’s everyone’s reliability? Thanks!

ShelbyRazorback

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT (traded in). None at the moment.
Back in 2013, we (my wife and I) bought a new JSW TDI w/DSG. We worked at the same place and had a 35 mile drive one way to work. When dieselgate hit, we decided to turn it in because no one knew what the fix would be or how that would effect performance or fuel mileage. We'd average high 30s and would hit 41 in the summer. It had almost 70,000 mi at turn in. I don't recall any problems with it. VW paid off the rest of our loan and gave us a few thousand to boot. It was almost perfect shape except a couple scratches on the steering wheel. Unfortunately, I think it was crushed.

Fast forward a couple years and I bought a 2012 Golf TDI 6MT with 118,000 mi. It hasn't been perfect. I had an issue with my lights which turned out to be a melted fuse and fuse block of which I installed the newer fuse (there is a thread here somewhere you can search for). Also when I was going to replace my fuel filter, there were two stripped screws that didn't want to come out. I had to replace the whole canister. Also, my Tach and Speedo's needles don't light up like the Temp and Fuel needles. It's no biggie when there is daylight but it would be nice to see them at night. I don't know how to fix that. From my digging around on the Internet, I only found one instance that someone else had the same issue and he took the cluster out and ran a bead of solder from the other needles to the dead ones. I may take it apart and look but a little nervous I'll break something. Fuel mileage has been mid 30s typically. We moved and am now only 12 miles from work. Mostly stop and go driving.

Just took it on vacation. Went about 490 miles round trip with it loaded and drove 70 - 75 MPH for most of it. Got 40.6 mpg on that tank. I'm happy with that. I didn't buy it CPO (Certified Pre Owned). I would suggest, if you can, buy one that is CPO just in case.

With both vehicles, I think they had good pep. It's not a 375hp V8 or my V10 but the torque feels good from a stop light (not racing, just normal take off) and I seem to always get to speed quickly and ahead of the pack without smashing the go pedal. They are both fun to drive. When we had the 40,000 mi service on the JSW, I remember just the DSG maintenance was about $400. I'm glad my Golf is a stick.

I see you are in CA so this might not apply to you but my Golf stumbled a few times during winter which I'm guessing may have been ice/water in my Intercooler. I put 1/2" pipe insulation in the grille and haven't had any issues. I don't recall the JSW ever having that issue. Both are kept in the garage at home but stay outside at work.

My Golf now has a little over 129k miles so I plan on changing the timing belt soon. I've never had any fuel issues. When I bought the JSW, I came here and read through quite a lot of posts. One of them was about fuel additives. Currently I use Opti-lube every time I fill up. Has it helped? I can't say for sure. Every one seems to have an opinion on additives so you can make up your own mind. It does give me piece of mind and I don't mind spending some money on that. I feel it helps with lubricity which seems important for the HPFP.

I forgot to mention that as far as I know, the MK6s do NOT use DEF. They do have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) that some have had issues with it cracking. I think they typically throw a code as well. I haven't had any issues with it so far. If I do, I hope it will be covered under the extended warranty due to the fix. There are threads on that as well on this forum that you can search for.

Last edited:

90_zeros

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
I've had my '13 a little over a year now. No fuel pump problems on my end, but I have had a rough time with the emissions. It's all been covered, but it's annoying. I'm having the entire dpf replaced this time, not just sensors. Anyway, that's my experience but don't let it scare you. I idle my car sometimes 12 hours at a time, which you may or may not know, is the single best way to kill a dpf. A delete is in my future for that reason alone, but if you don't idle frequently, I wouldn't worry about it at all. I also put about 35k miles a year on my car, sometimes more, so I'm an "extreme use" case. All that being said, a delete will fix all of my problems, and I love my car. Even stock the power is adequate. I have a history of V8 f-bodies and turbo Subarus, and I'm not at all disappointed by the power. Stage two, you MIGHT keep up with a stock gti. MAYBE. Expect V6/8 feel up to 3000 rpms, then it feels like a NA 4 cyl after that. Best way to describe it.

Edit: btw, no DEF system on MK6, DPF + cat only.

Last edited:

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I've had mine for about 2 years and have put a shade over 40K on it in that time and it now sits at 108K.

I did have an issue with the wiring for one of the glow plug/pressure sensors go bad, which threw a CEL for "implausible pressure". Took it in on what's left of the warranty, they fixed it no questions asked and said it becomes brittle with time and increased heat in the engine bay during summers here.

Mechanically the vehicle's been terrific, with proper use and regular service. It's an MK6 so DPF + cat, no DEF, but will delete once I move back to more rural settings.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I have a 09 Jetta that I bought new and it currently has 250K + miles. The only real problem I had was the DMF going out. I did have the emission fix and shortly afterwards I had the wastegate actuator go out which was replaced under the extended warranty. I perform regular scheduled maintenance and it runs and looks great.

I also have a 15 Golf that I bought about 2 yrs ago and have not have any big issues with it. It does have DEF, but I have never had any issues so far. I also perform regular schedule maintenance and it runs great...

Overall, I have been very please with my tdi's...

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I have a 09 Jetta that I bought new and it currently has 250K + miles. The only real problem I had was the DMF going out. I did have the emission fix and shortly afterwards I had the wastegate actuator go out which was replaced under the extended warranty. I perform regular scheduled maintenance and it runs and looks great.

I also have a 15 Golf that I bought about 2 yrs ago and have not have any big issues with it. It does have DEF, but I have never had any issues so far. I also perform regular schedule maintenance and it runs great...

Overall, I have been very please with my tdi's...
Over 250k! Speaks volumes for mkVI cjaa (w/ maint). Not to down the value of DEF but it is ANOTHER item to fail/maintain(?) The biggest issue for me is the dramatic price jump from a 14 to 15. On the other hand they do have a few more options like homelink

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've owned both MVI and VII TDIs and in my opinion the VII is a superior vehicle in all ways. The EA288 engine won't have intercooler icing issues, the fuel system is likely more reliable, and the car drives better and has far lower noise levels than the VI. I never warmed up to my VI, but I like the VII.

Having said that, my MKIV, despite having 410K miles on it, gets more use. If I had to keep one of the two I'd keep my '02. If yours is rust-free then I'd invest in it and keep driving it. Without a doubt it will be more reliable and require fewer repairs than either of the newer cars.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I hit a deer in my 01 and the damage is pretty extensive. 4800 initial quote without even tearing down the vehicle. Insurance is claiming it as a total loss. I’m bummed. I will most likely just start daily driving my f30 335i with m6 transmission.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Yes, all common rail TDIs have a 120K timing belt interval. Some documentation says 130K, but I believe 120K is the most commonly accepted interval.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I’m gonna take a look at a couple of 2015 golf TDI’s that have been through the recall and have 6 speed manual transmissions both with under 50k miles.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I’m gonna take a look at a couple of 2015 golf TDI’s that have been through the recall and have 6 speed manual transmissions both with under 50k miles.
What do the 15's range now $ ?

PacketHauler

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI 6M, 2013 Jetta TDI DSG w/ Prem (retired)
I have a 2014 6MT wagon that I got used in 2018. Right now it has a CEL on for a cracked DPF. The dealer ordered all the parts, but the DPF is on backorder. The car drives fine, but they said if it starts driving weird, bring it in and they would get me into a loaner. The DPF has been on backorder for 4 months now.

Other than that, it's been my favorite car that I've owned in my 20 years of car ownership.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
I had a bad cat on my sportwagen last year... it was diagnosed by VW in April of 2019 and the part arrived in November of 2019. After a few months of "we don't have an ETA" as well as driving around getting 30mpg and having the car constantly in regen, I said screw it and went malone stage 2 with a DPF delete. The warranty is worthless if it takes months to get parts.

I have my CP3 kit arriving from Darkside Developments on Friday. I'm also going to do an EGR delete/race pipe to mitigate the intercooler icing issue.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I’m surprised no one has had a hpfp issue? I hear if it goes you need to replace the whole fuel system.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Incidence of HPFP failures are exaggerated. Historically there have been very few.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
That’s good to know. I’m trying to decide between a gasser golf and a TDI. It’s a tough decision. I like how the TDI has a 6 speed but the gasser didn’t get it until 2019 when the 1.4l came out.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The 2019 1.4L is the one to get if you want a gasser. The 1.8T isn't a great engine, according to oilhammer here.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
What doesn’t he like about it? I’ve see golf all trac owners get 39 Mpg’s in them?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The TSI and TFSI engines from VW have a raft of issues from intake problems, timing chain tensioner failures, rear main seals leaking, water pump failures, and lots of others. The 1.4L seems relatively immune to many of the problems.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I think I agree on the tfsi but is a 2L. I’m referring to the TSI 1.8t from 2015-2018. I’ll message him. Thanks for the heads up anyhow.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
You maybe correct on the 1.4t, but it hasn’t been around long enough for a true test. I wish the compound boost engine was brought to the USA.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Incidence of HPFP failures are exaggerated. Historically there have been very few.
From what Ive read fungus from sitting or (?) seems a huge factor.?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Maybe not fungus, but a few people have reported algae in fuel tanks. Just a few, as far as I know. If you did experience this it's something the warranty would cover.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
We’ve decided to resurrect my ALH Golf it going to be 6200 in front end body work but I’ll get 2300 from insurance and I’m refinancing my home so I’ll skip a payment so I’ll really only be out 1700. Gonna get an r32 bumper and glass hella headlights and a black badge less grill.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Love mine. No issues with it yet. Just a couple quirks. Get 39highway, 30 city. Normally average 35. I drive hard. Stage 2 not deleted (yet). But I've got a wagen. Have gotten as low as 28mpg. Lol. Torque is addictive. Haven't found a gti to race yet. Have been at 129mph, might top out at 135 in optimal conditions.