SDI cams in ASZ

Nikpage

TDI
Hi guys! I do not speak English well and the forum search is poor. I have questions, if something like this was discussed, please give a link and sorry for the stupid topic! Seat Ibiza 1.9tdi ASZ PD. Installed Firad +160, turbine gtb 2568 vk. Camshaft .fcp. Crankset fcp. It so happened that the camshaft is defective and has bumps. Due to the virus, the border is closed and I can’t order another one. Tell me, can I install the SDI camshaft, what can I expect from him to at least temporarily participate in races? thank!: D

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
1984 CJ w/ ALH and 1994 XJ w/ PD150/ALH hybrid
Can I ask to see the bumps? I know that CATERPILLAR here in the United States have put a coating on some of their cams that we thought was a problem, but was made to help break the cam in. I wish I had pictures, but they looked almost like sandpaper on the lobes. Is that what you have?

Nikpage

TDI
Can I ask to see the bumps? I know that CATERPILLAR here in the United States have put a coating on some of their cams that we thought was a problem, but was made to help break the cam in. I wish I had pictures, but they looked almost like sandpaper on the lobes. Is that what you have?

Assembled a new camshaft with new liners. Kolbenschmidt. I drove about 500km calmly. Carried out an inspection on the camshaft, the liners were damaged. Put other liners company glyco. He started the engine, 20 minutes, and made out such a result.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I don't think the cam or the bearings are the problem. The cam dimension is probably accurate, although the cam lobe wear issue have been historically, a problem.

Also, you realize, if you removed the usual bolts that are used in the PD, they are not reusable? We have a set of reusable chrome/ moly bolts for this engine. Some think you cannot reuse any bolts. We have been using this bolt for 10 years with no issues.

When installing the bearings, cleanliness counts. The bearings look dirty, but it may be torn bearing material instead. The first bearing pictured is scored. The second bearing pictured is off-set from it's proper location.

The other important thing to note is cam caps can only be installed in their intended location. The caps are marked 1-5, with #1 closest to the timing belt. The caps are align bored to fit only their respective locations. Do not mix up the cam caps.

Start with new bolts, as your old ones cannot be used unless they are like our reusable ones. The stock bolts are ZXN heads and will break off if reused. Ours are allen headed screws.

Install the cam followers. Install the cam bearings in the cylinder head saddles. Apply assembly lube to the cam followers and cam bearings. CLEANLINESS COUNTS!

Install the bearings into the cam caps and apply assembly lube to the bearings.

Start with cam caps 2 and 4, tightening the bolts incrementally until the cam caps are seated. Install the number 1, 3 and 5 cap. We usually install the cam seal now and use a piece of electrical tape over the woodruff key slot to protect the seal. Tighten all cam cap bolts to 48 inch lbs.

In order to properly center the bearings on the journals, we use a plastic tear drop mallet and strike the cam caps hard. The plastic mallet will not harm the aluminum caps, but will vibrate the cam bearings to center them. Install the cam sprocket (74 ft lbs) and use a counterhold tool to turn the cam. It should turn smoothly and at certain points, the cam will snap over from valve spring pressure.

If using the stock bolts, tighten to 72 in lbs + 1/4 turn. Strike caps at each increase in tension. Turn cam to see it runs smoothly in the journals. Finish with 1/4 turn.

At any time, if the cam becomes hard to turn, loosen cam cap bolts until the offending bearing cap is noted. See if it is dirt, a burr or if it's just a poor fit from cam to bearing.

Our reusable bolts are tightened to 144 in lbs;`12 ft lbs. Since they are not TTY bolts, no need for the 1/4 turn.

Good luck.

P777

TDI
VW Passat 3bg 1.9tdi AVF stage3
I don't think the cam or the bearings are the problem. The cam dimension is probably accurate, although the cam lobe wear issue have been historically, a problem.

Also, you realize, if you removed the usual bolts that are used in the PD, they are not reusable? We have a set of reusable chrome/ moly bolts for this engine. Some think you cannot reuse any bolts. We have been using this bolt for 10 years with no issues.

When installing the bearings, cleanliness counts. The bearings look dirty, but it may be torn bearing material instead. The first bearing pictured is scored. The second bearing pictured is off-set from it's proper location.

The other important thing to note is cam caps can only be installed in their intended location. The caps are marked 1-5, with #1 closest to the timing belt. The caps are align bored to fit only their respective locations. Do not mix up the cam caps.

Start with new bolts, as your old ones cannot be used unless they are like our reusable ones. The stock bolts are ZXN heads and will break off if reused. Ours are allen headed screws.

Install the cam followers. Install the cam bearings in the cylinder head saddles. Apply assembly lube to the cam followers and cam bearings. CLEANLINESS COUNTS!

Install the bearings into the cam caps and apply assembly lube to the bearings.

Start with cam caps 2 and 4, tightening the bolts incrementally until the cam caps are seated. Install the number 1, 3 and 5 cap. We usually install the cam seal now and use a piece of electrical tape over the woodruff key slot to protect the seal. Tighten all cam cap bolts to 48 inch lbs.

In order to properly center the bearings on the journals, we use a plastic tear drop mallet and strike the cam caps hard. The plastic mallet will not harm the aluminum caps, but will vibrate the cam bearings to center them. Install the cam sprocket (74 ft lbs) and use a counterhold tool to turn the cam. It should turn smoothly and at certain points, the cam will snap over from valve spring pressure.

If using the stock bolts, tighten to 72 in lbs + 1/4 turn. Strike caps at each increase in tension. Turn cam to see it runs smoothly in the journals. Finish with 1/4 turn.

At any time, if the cam becomes hard to turn, loosen cam cap bolts until the offending bearing cap is noted. See if it is dirt, a burr or if it's just a poor fit from cam to bearing.

Our reusable bolts are tightened to 144 in lbs;`12 ft lbs. Since they are not TTY bolts, no need for the 1/4 turn.

Good luck.
this is not only a problem for one person, I also have problems with the FCP camshaft!

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
This is simple to check. Honestly, the cam shafts we have problems with are the chineseium. Several we know are either soft overall, or the hardening is unequal, lobe to lobe or journal to journal. When we do our cams, the journal question is gone, as the hexatane chrome method used on the journals makes the journals Rc75.

If you check the stock cam measurement and then measure the FCP cam, I get you find they are identical. The equipment to grind the cams is very close tolerance. If you actually found between cam journals even .0005" variation, I would be making a fuss. The tolerances for most rod and cam journals is figured in .0002".

Get an accurate micrometer and measure. We seem to find the 'squeak' test is accurate. Set the first journal distance and lock your micrometer. If the journal is clean of oil, you will hear the journal 'squeak' against the micrometer. Each journal in order will do the same thing. it takes an extremely small difference in journal diameter to lose that 'squeak'.

I think installation is the big problem. I've put in hundreds of PD cams with none of the issue you are seeing. However, I've seen it done exactly like you show.

You are welcome to contact me more directly if I can be of any more help.