Stick shift Passat

HowieE

TDI
2015 Passat stick shift
Anyone driving a Stick Shift Passat. I have a question on the shifting. There seams to be a resistance when shifting between one gear and another. Almost like the synchronize had not positioned the gears to slide in smoothly. If I slow shift this is not as noticeable but I can not slam a shift. I have even reverted to double clutching from first to second. Is this normal or a problem in the tranny?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Is it one gear or all gears?

Has it done it from the start or an issue that developed over time?

HowieE

TDI
2015 Passat stick shift
I bought the car with 16,000 miles on it and don't remember it as a problem when I first got it. It is most restrictive in first to second and less restrictive as I go up through the gears. On put 1,000 miles on it so far

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
you might post this in the forum for the NMS B7 (2012 + ) Passat, not the B5 (2004-2005 in the US). There are B5 passats with manual swaps in them, but your question will get more responses in the other forum.

My 2013 is an auto/DSG so I am no help here.

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
First thing id guess is a clutch disengagement issue. Have you tried bleeding the clutch line?

HowieE

TDI
2015 Passat stick shift
First thing id guess is a clutch disengagement issue. Have you tried bleeding the clutch line?

The clutch travel seams normal so I will not look at bleeding the slave cylinder. Turns out the car is warranted and I have an appointment for Friday.

Interesting point. Parts in the drive train are covered but not adjustments. How do you need and adjustment unless some part has worn?

I will post what it turns out to be for the good of the Forum.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
There are no adjustments to the hydraulic clutch master or slave cylinder on our passats.

Id drain fluid in tranny and look for excess particles in fluid. Bleed clutch and fill with fresh fluid if the old fluid looks good. If that fails you're pulling the tranny to examine the clutch and pressue plate, probably replacing.

These b5 and b5.5 transmissions are stout but the are approaching 20 yrs old, we will continue seeing failures

Gm synchromesh is a known bandaid for grinding gears on many different manufactured vehicles .

HowieE

TDI
2015 Passat stick shift
Gm synchromesh is a known bandaid for grinding gears on many different manufactured vehicles .

Can you give me a bit more detail on this issue before I take the car in to the dealer on Friday? I would not describe this as a grinding but more like a physical detente in the linkage just before the point of engagement of the teeth.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Find it in the automotive section with other gear oils.

I forgot to mention check shifter and shifter bushings. I suppose enough slop could cause issues. Bad motor and transmission mounts could also cause enough slop to cause shifting issues.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
It a gm brand of their mtf.

Google gm synchro mesh.

Honda guys used it for a notorious 3 gear gind fix.

Yellow bottle iirc

HowieE

TDI
2015 Passat stick shift
Thanks. A lot written on the subject once you know what the subject is.

Do you know offhand what the capacity of the VW stick trans is?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Im sorry i dont recall. I think around 2.5 quarts but it's been about 2 years since i changed mine during the 5 speed swap.

HowieE

TDI
2015 Passat stick shift
Went to the dealer and the mechanic that got the job said the trans shifted within VW specs.

I did not after the hour driving time to the dealer that the shifting was much smoother and the dealer did say I could bring it back and leave it overnight so they could see it cold.

Not too interested in that approach.