When will diesel prices start to fall?

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I filled up yesterday in Paradise,CA $2.15, pretty good price for us in N. Cal
Thatcis an amazing price. I saw $2.77 in Yuba City last Monday and $2.79 in San Rafael yesterday. Unfortunately I am running 76 Renewable in my cars and the price of that is still high at $3.49.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
My last fill-up last week was for Chevron diesel at $2.19/gallon but locally in Savannah most brand-name stations hover around $2.49/gallon. Premium is always more expensive than diesel.

VW_Factor

TDI
2003 Jetta, 2009 Jetta, 2020 Passat R-Line Gasser
Diesel is still about 2.50 a gallon here. :(

Most fuel stations however have gasoline at close to 1.20

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The real question now: when will diesel prices start to rise? Soon, I think. And hope.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The real question now: when will diesel prices start to rise? Soon, I think. And hope.
I'm betting they'll stabilize at current levels, which vary by region, and won't change for a while, maybe not for a year. Demand simply isn't there, and won't be for the foreseeable future.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm betting they'll stabilize at current levels, which vary by region, and won't change for a while, maybe not for a year. Demand simply isn't there, and won't be for the foreseeable future.
The comment on the news last night was that some areas were already seeing prices of gasoline creep up pending those states reopening and people starting to drive again. All you have to look at are the pictures over the weekend of the Atlanta parks. People have been cooped up to long and will flood out of their homes.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I was talking with my sister-in-law last night, she lives in Roswell GA. She said they drove back from Charolotte on Sunday and traffic on 85 was like any pre-lockdown Sunday.

However, many people still aren't commuting anywhere in country. And air traffic last weekend was off over 90% from a year ago. No cruise ships operating, fewer ships in general. I wonder what electrical demand is since factorys aren't running, schools are closed, and most retail still isn't open.

I think we're a long way from getting back to normal consumption. Oil prices will fluctuate over the next few months at least, but I don't think they're going to rise significantly anytime soon.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm guessing that our electrical consumption is up with both of us being home all day. Hotter temps in the carolinas mean higher humdity. The results are that I'm changing my presets on the thermostat.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I can see it go either way(or stabilize), though I don't think diesel prices are likely to go much lower if they do go down a bit more. I can envision a significant jump up if we can put this pandemic behind us soon. Hopefully folks act sensibly as the economy re-opens, and don't put us right back where we were. But yeah, a little stabilization wouldn't be the worst thing.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Keep in mind that after the latest "price run up" WTI is at about $24.50, and it hit a high in February of over $60. So it's still way off the peak.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Diesel's relative higher price vs. gas is due to the further refinement needed to remove sulfur.
I've noticed this to be the case in the US.
Where I live (West Coast - Canada), diesel has been cheaper than RUG for most of the 20yrs. I've been driving TDIs (like at least 90% of the time). Sometimes, it's by as much as $.25/L (=$.94/g). Right now, though, diesel is indeed about $.05/L more.

From what I remember, the taxes listed on the little sticker on the pumps are same for both diesel and gas, so....??? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯