The hard work is done. Now what?

fryerdiesel

TDI
'05 Passat wagon
So, I finished the balance shaft delete/oil pump chain upgrade, transmission/torque converter replacement and while I was at it, replaced the timing belt, tensioner, roller, crankshaft seal, accessory belts, tandem pump seal, coolant sensor and the plastic neck on the back of the head. So, the car should be good for a while.
Now, however, I'm a little undecided about whether to keep the car or sell it. When I bought it from the original owner who gave me all the receipts (even the original window sticker) with a bad transmission, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Coming from ALH Jettas, I thought, how can I go wrong? Now it seems, they simply don't fetch the same money and I would only be breaking even at best. Hence, my question. What is a 2005 Passat wagon with 175k on it even worth these days? BTW, the camshaft has already been replaced by a VW dealer some years ago.

Thanks in advance.

Dan99TDI

TDI
ALH going in a 56 CJ5, B5.5 tdi wagon
In my searching (bought mine today) they range from 2-6K with that mileage.

With that level of maintenance, assuming it was in decent shape, I'd guess you on the higher end of that spectrum.

I will say, for the passats I've looked at, if yours really is in decent shape, I'd hope itd be an easy sale, there's a lot of junk out there.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
So, I finished the balance shaft delete/oil pump chain upgrade, transmission/torque converter replacement and while I was at it, replaced the timing belt, tensioner, roller, crankshaft seal, accessory belts, tandem pump seal, coolant sensor and the plastic neck on the back of the head. So, the car should be good for a while.
Now, however, I'm a little undecided about whether to keep the car or sell it. When I bought it from the original owner who gave me all the receipts (even the original window sticker) with a bad transmission, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Coming from ALH Jettas, I thought, how can I go wrong? Now it seems, they simply don't fetch the same money and I would only be breaking even at best. Hence, my question. What is a 2005 Passat wagon with 175k on it even worth these days? BTW, the camshaft has already been replaced by a VW dealer some years ago.
Thanks in advance.
Why get rid of it? Mine is pushing 400k just replaced the Original tranny And TC. I plan on driving it indefinitely. The BSM was deleted at 80k miles other than timing belts, a power steering pump/rack/reservoir, and brakes and struts. My cam is even still original.

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
it looks like at 15yrs the value to recoup your cost in parts and time isn't there . I just sold a perfectly good one with a bsm delete for $5000.CDN. I should have kept it as a second car. it won't tow a boat, but theres not much else it can't do. at some point the body rust will take it off the road, but it will still run.

PS; and then i was presented with an orphan 05 wgn which is now trying to become a family member, except that has been abused and is show rust and accident/bodyshop abuse damage... i ma be stuck with this one or lose money on it going to the auction.

Last edited: