2009 Jetta TDI start problems

Joeym4692

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I have a 2009 Jetta TDI with the DSG with 87,xxx miles.
The other day as well as today I started the car and it had a very rough idle. Today was different. It idled a little rougher then died right out. All I could get after that was the motor to crank but it wouldn't fire up. After a few attempts I the battery went dead and I had to get it jump started.
I left my jeep connected for a few minutes and then the VW started up. It was a little rough for a second and then was running normal again.
Anyone have any idea what this could possibly be? No lights are on the dash.

Also I have a humming noise coming from I believe the rear that sounds like a wheel bearing possibly. I jacked the car up and tried rocking each tire back and forth but none made a distinctive sound. Any clue on to what this is as well??

thecause17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red TDi DSG
After a few attempts I the battery went dead and I had to get it jump started.
You might want to get that battery checked...a good battery shouldn't die after only a few attempts at starting your car. If it's the original battery and it actually made it this long just replace it anyway.

Joeym4692

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Update.
Well today I pulled the cold side of the intercooler and cleaned out some oiley goo. Soaked up a bit with some towels.
It started to move it in the drive way just fine and then to move it over to put it out of the way.
Then later on today roughly around 7p.m I went to start it and nothing... Cranked twice and then acted like the battery was dead. When it tries to start all the lights shut off and it reset the trip back to 0.0
But when I don't attempt to start all the lights are as bright as usual including headlights with it off.
I really have no clue what it wrong. It sat for 3 days and started right up. Then try starting it later in the day and it just wont fire up. The temperature was around 45-50 degrees so I couldn't be the intercooler freezing up. Volt meter says battery is sitting at 12v, went down to 11v when trying to crank it a few times. During crank it goes down to roughly 5volts.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

LpTdiguy

TDI
09 Jetta DSG 307k.....
You might want to get that battery checked...a good battery shouldn't die after only a few attempts at starting your car. If it's the original battery and it actually made it this long just replace it anyway.
I agree, battery seems way too weak. No battery should go down to 5v while cranking. Did u have it tested??

Joeym4692

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Update:
Got the battery tested and it came back as "bad battery" Bought a new one and she fired right up!

Now I'm curious as to what you guys did to keep your heat shield on the hood up as mine is shrinking.

Also. The fuse for my lights has burnt up a second time and I have no clue what could be causing it.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Update:
Got the battery tested and it came back as "bad battery" Bought a new one and she fired right up!

Now I'm curious as to what you guys did to keep your heat shield on the hood up as mine is shrinking.

Also. The fuse for my lights has burnt up a second time and I have no clue what could be causing it.
Which fuse? Which lights?

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
I cut some short pieces of rubber tubing (vacuum line tubing - approx. 1" long) and pushed them into the slots in the metal hood where the hood pad tabs go. This provides a slight bit of support for the pad and holds everthing snug.

thecause17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red TDi DSG
Glad the battery was the issue.

As far as the lights go, as tdiatlast stated, please elaborate a little. There has been a recent recall on these cars involving the fuse/fuse panel and it could possibly be related.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I sprayed some 3M 77 spray adhesive on the back of the soundproofing pad and on the hood after cleaning both. I let it dry a little and then mashed them together and so far it has held ( a month or so)
I don't know how long it will stick, but I am hopeful.

Joeym4692

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Its the one fuse that works the headlight, directional and everything.

Half of it starts to melt and then i lose my passenger side headlight, and directionals. I have replaced this fuse twice and around that area in the fuse panel its slightly melted.