MKIV Keyless remote programming

Shikaroka

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat GLX 1Z, 1999.5 Jetta ALH
I am trying to program a key fob for my 99.5 Jetta.
Ross-tech has instructions, but they say for a car with power windows. My car has manual windows and I can't find instructions for it.
Do all MKIVs have keyless entry?

Shikaroka

Veteran Member
TDI
Still having troubles.
Does accessing the central locking module and remote control adaptation with VCDS, prove that the car has a keyless entry option?
I've followed those directions with several different remotes and still can't get any of them to work.

Shikaroka

Veteran Member
TDI
You need to go to Ch 00 first and SAVE it.
Then go to ch 01 .
Did you do it this way?
What is the part number on your remote?
Yes, I did that.

One of them is:
HL0 1J0 959 753 F

I've tried a couple others too.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
So take that remote, put in in the ignition and go thru the steps in Post#2. Be sure to hit save at each step. Be sure the number of keys is set to 1 and save.
Once you get that key to work, try adding additional keys, although I believe the part numbers must match.
I'm pretty sure manual window cars still have the remote lock/unlock feature. If the remote is not the one that came with the car, there may be additional steps, maybe to turn off the window down w/key funtion (I'm just guessing)

Shikaroka

Veteran Member
TDI
That remote (with no key) was in the glove box when I got the car. I didn't actually get a key with the car, so I had a "valet" key cut at the dealership using the vin. That's the only key I've ever had. I've been considering ordering a couple switchblade keys, but wanted to make sure they would work first.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
You need to go to Ch 00 first and SAVE it.
Then go to ch 01 .
Did you do it this way?
What is the part number on your remote?
*channel 0 press read, then save
then go to channel 1, press read, choose the number of keys, then press save

next push a button on your remotes and you should hear 1 beep after pressing the button to confirm successful programming

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
That remote (with no key) was in the glove box when I got the car. I didn't actually get a key with the car, so I had a "valet" key cut at the dealership using the vin. That's the only key I've ever had. I've been considering ordering a couple switchblade keys, but wanted to make sure they would work first.
So you don't actually have a fob? Go ahead and purchase one of those switchblade things, they are actually 2 pieces, a fob and a key. Then have the key portion cut using your valet key, then you should be able to program the new unit.

Shikaroka

Veteran Member
TDI
*channel 0 press read, then save
then go to channel 1, press read, choose the number of keys, then press save

next push a button on your remotes and you should hear 1 beep after pressing the button to confirm successful programming
I tried that. No beep.

So you don't actually have a fob? Go ahead and purchase one of those switchblade things, they are actually 2 pieces, a fob and a key. Then have the key portion cut using your valet key, then you should be able to program the new unit.

Right, I don't have a working fob.
That's what I'm worried about. Getting one and can't program it.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
I tried that. No beep.
I've seen a lot of old bad wireless entry boards that just didn't work anymore, 1 trip through the washing machine will fry them but the RFID chip would still be functional for mkiv cars. Oddly enough, that isn't the case for the MK6 cars, one of our clients went swimming in the ocean with key, afterwards he couldn't get the car to stay running because the immobilizer kept shutting it down.

Shikaroka

Veteran Member
TDI
Well mine has no RFID, no imobilizer.

The fob is transmitting, at least according to the tester at the auto parts store.