www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old August 1st, 2018, 01:26   #1
ScottBob

TDI(s): 2014 Jetta
Default New (to me) 2014 Jetta TDI

A few years ago I had a 2006 Jetta TDI with some issues (needed a new flywheel, sometimes wouldn't start). I decided that it would cost more to fix than it was worth, so I had to let go of it (and I needed the money for some other financial reasons).

Now that I've straightened my situation out a bit, I'm in a position where I can get another vehicle, and guess what - TDI it is again!

So here's what I got: 2014 Jetta TDI, the "plain Jane" value edition (cloth seats, no sunroof, no steering wheel controls, no navigation system), but it does have some nice things such as Bluetooth hands-free calling.

Looking at Carfax, it appears to have had one corporate owner (perhaps a rental?) The history is as follows:
  • Vehicle sold in October 2014
  • All services performed as scheduled
  • Appears to have been part of the buy-back program, as Carfax says "Title or registration issued to manufacturer". The odometer read just under 49,000 miles.
  • It looks like it was in storage from June of 2017 until late January of 2018, before it was transferred to my local dealership (only four miles had elapsed on the odometer since then). After that, it pretty much sat in inventory since January, until I bought it today.
My guess as to why it sat in inventory for over a year was because the emissions cheating scandal thing still left a bad taste in people's mouths, but hey, that didn't bother me, as loved my old dirty Diesel, and hated to see it go. So I settled on a $14,500 purchase price, and for the money, I got pretty much a worry-free car:
  • The dealership did all the emissions system recall modifications, replaced the battery, did the DSG service, swapped the original rims with alloy rims from another car, and installed all new tires.
  • They transferred over the original drivetrain warranty of 10 years or 120,000 miles, and added the 4 year 48,000 mile extended warranty after doing the emissions system.
I don't see much discussion here about 2014 Jetta TDIs, most people seem to have either 2011's or 2015's. I do know that 2015's and later have a different engine, and use DEF in their emissions systems, where 2014's and earlier don't.

So what do I have to look forward to (or dread)? I intend on keeping this one a while...
ScottBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2018, 11:08   #2
tdiinsc

Congrats on the Jetta! I myself just bought a 2014 TDI about 3 weeks ago. I also have the value edition w/6spd manual, but mine didnt come with bluetooth hands free. Mine for sure was a vw buyback and its easy to tell by looking at the carfax and seeing a Michigan title shows up (hint that vw bought it, but didnt mean that it sat in a large parking lot there). Mine apparently had both phase 1 and 2 emissions completed. Great car...im sure you'll enjoy it as much as i do.

Just make sure you drive it hard at least once a week to keep issues with the DPF clogging low. If you have a short commute each morning, you are more prone to it occurring since the car doesn't have much of a chance to generate the heat needed to burn all that crap out of the filter. You may find that you stop the car in the middle of regen cycles (fan still running when the car is shut off).

Last edited by tdiinsc; August 1st, 2018 at 11:11.
tdiinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2018, 11:47   #3
bora2003
Veteran Member

I, too, recently bought a 2014 Jetta TDI Value Edition with just the right amount of technology in it back in March of this year. It is a 6-speed manual and has the same Michigan registration/title on its Carfax. Mine has 83,000 miles on it, but the price was right.

I haven't had any troubles with it and I think it' s a great car. Mine definitely experiences more regen cycles than I remember with my previous 2010 Jetta TDI wagon. It's a shame Volkswagen has abandoned the diesel motor for the future.

But, I have mine now.
bora2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2018, 04:26   #4
tdiinsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bora2003 View Post
I, too, recently bought a 2014 Jetta TDI Value Edition with just the right amount of technology in it back in March of this year. It is a 6-speed manual and has the same Michigan registration/title on its Carfax. Mine has 83,000 miles on it, but the price was right.
I haven't had any troubles with it and I think it' s a great car. Mine definitely experiences more regen cycles than I remember with my previous 2010 Jetta TDI wagon. It's a shame Volkswagen has abandoned the diesel motor for the future.
But, I have mine now.
I haven't really noticed the car doing very many regens, i guess its happening behinds the scene on my brief highway commutes. Its possible that the quality of the fuel here is good, the quik trip by me doesn't advertise cetane numbers but it is ULSD with no more than 5% biodiesel added.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 18:47   #5
ScottBob

Okay, here's my first issue: The key won't turn off without a fight. I can stick it in and start it just fine, go drive around, etc., but when I go to turn it off, the key physically won't turn, like it's stuck. I can turn it forward like I'm starting it, it just won't turn off. Thinking that there might be some sort of safety mechanism involved, I made sure the gear shift was in park, the parking brake lever was pulled up, and I even stepped on the brake pedal, but I still can't turn the key off. I wiggled it this way and that, tried pushing it in and pulling it out, etc., but it won't turn off. Some cars have a button or lever to make it release the key, but not mine. After fighting with it for a few minutes, it finally got past whatever it's stuck on, and easily turned off. This happens every time I start it, and I don't want to break the lock (or key fob). Am I missing some sort of secret combination to shut it off, or do I need to go back to the dealership and get them to replace the ignition switch?
Old August 3rd, 2018, 11:19   #6
tdiinsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBob View Post
Okay, here's my first issue: The key won't turn off without a fight. I can stick it in and start it just fine, go drive around, etc., but when I go to turn it off, the key physically won't turn, like it's stuck. I can turn it forward like I'm starting it, it just won't turn off. Thinking that there might be some sort of safety mechanism involved, I made sure the gear shift was in park, the parking brake lever was pulled up, and I even stepped on the brake pedal, but I still can't turn the key off. I wiggled it this way and that, tried pushing it in and pulling it out, etc., but it won't turn off. Some cars have a button or lever to make it release the key, but not mine. After fighting with it for a few minutes, it finally got past whatever it's stuck on, and easily turned off. This happens every time I start it, and I don't want to break the lock (or key fob). Am I missing some sort of secret combination to shut it off, or do I need to go back to the dealership and get them to replace the ignition switch?
See if this helps you...
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113564
Old August 4th, 2018, 17:54   #7
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

Back to dealer ... ignition lock housing
06bluebeetletdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2018, 18:02   #8
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bora2003 View Post
But, I have mine now.
Agreed on the regens, ESPECIALLY if you do a short trip, iíve had gen 1, 2 and 3 kick into regen after short trips. If i take my tdis to the post office 3 miles away, shut it off, come home, its regen time! (Note: my commute for work is 32 miles each way (64 total), 29 of which are 70mph, the rest is 15-55 mph).
06bluebeetletdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2018, 08:43   #9
GEFP

My wife had to have all kinds of crap hanging off of the key. I warned her that it would eventually wreak the key but she doesn't listen well. One day it happened that we couldn't pull the key out. She discovered that if you lightly pull the key up as you are pulling it out then it will come out. I flooded the key slot with WD-40 and we haven't had issues since. Now she too uses a key with nothing hanging off of it.
GEFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2018, 21:34   #10
ScottBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06bluebeetletdi View Post
Back to dealer ... ignition lock housing
Yeah, I called the dealer service dept. asking what to do, fearing I would have to disconnect the battery to shut it off. The service rep said the ignition lock housing had to be replaced (not the whole ignition switch, though.) They've seen this problem before, and as a quick fix, I could try turning the key all the way forward like I'm starting it (not to worry, the starter won't engage), then let it snap back. I tried that, and it worked. They said the repair is covered under warranty.