60 MPG back to back Thread Secrets Only

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
I have stock wheels & tyres my current car (and also had them on my old Passat). Have never tried to calibrate them, but the distance reported on google maps is consistent with the trip meter.

Adding oversize tyres (to increase the gearing) would cause the odo to understate your actual mileage, so, yes, a correction is necessary if you do that.

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 5 sp., 2003, Silver/Grey Int.
Question to all you guys getting high MPGs, is your odometer correct? As I am sure you all know, changing tire size will affect the actual miles being rolled up......could over state or under state, depending on the tire size deviation from OEM. Also, even the OEM tire size doesn't always result in accurate odometer readings!

Just wondering! In my Excel spreadsheet formula(s), I add a correction factor depending on the circumstances,,,,,take off a little or add a little! Of course, the variation has never been more than 1.5% + or - !
I believe mine is, I've checked it against a GPS many times and it actually reads about 1 mph slow. (that's the speedo part) I've also checked the odometer part against the posted mile markers and it corresponds to the readings that the GPS was giving me. For the heck of it I have a "distance travelled" box on my hand held GPS, and it reads about 1% more than what the odometer says.

Even tho I've switched to 16" wheels and tires, I reduced the sidewall height over the 15" wheels to try and keep the same OD.

When I had the cluster apart I (well it was CoolWht that did it) removed and replaced the speedo needle. It happened to get reinstalled at just the correct spot to give a durn 'near perfect mph reading. I had to do that because my high beam indicator was super bright, cutting my night vision. I used 2 layers of limo window tint to cut the glare. He didn't believe me until we went out at night. My car was made in Germany, his in Mexico and his wasn't that bright.

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
Question to all you guys getting high MPGs, is your odometer correct? As I am sure you all know, changing tire size will affect the actual miles being rolled up......could over state or under state, depending on the tire size deviation from OEM. Also, even the OEM tire size doesn't always result in accurate odometer readings!

Just wondering! In my Excel spreadsheet formula(s), I add a correction factor depending on the circumstances,,,,,take off a little or add a little! Of course, the variation has never been more than 1.5% + or - !
Yeah ... not a bad question, however most everyone goes larger rather than smaller which would equate to under reporting . I'm running mine at stock size, still with the 15". :D

white95v6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta 5spd tdi 2003 jetta jw 5spd tdi
man I stumbled on this thread and thought hmm wonder if I have done this.

well turns out I have. I done a back to back. and it was almost a back-back-back lol. the last one was a 59.48mpg.

car was stock at the time. besides a cat-delete and a muffler delete. average speed was 50-55mph. and on Fairly flat ground.

it was in my 2000 jetta 5psd.

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
Ok, not making 60 mpg but I have a run of 4 tanks over 50 mpg, which I don't think is bad in a CR

1. 2013 Jetta 6M, Stock
2. I somewhat pay attention to what I'm doing to increase mileage
3. Location: Minnesota. Conditions: Fairly flat terrain around 800 ft above sea level, avg. temp - mid 60's F. Normal daily commute of 130 miles round trip, 75% freeway cruising, 25% city (stop and go, side streets, etc.)
4. Mileage calculated by actual fuel used (hand calc)

6/17/14 - 54.166 mpg
6/24/14 - 50.720 mpg
6/30/14 - 50.215 mpg
7/10/14 - 52.374 mpg

Two tanks later had 54.224, which is the best tank I've ever had.

Winter approaching, so I'll be back down under 45 mpg for a while. Plus my commute just got 36 miles round trip shorter, so less cruising now.

What do I do to get this mileage? It's not really what I do, it's what I don't....which is drive like the guy you see darting in and out of traffic, kicking it down for 100 yards just to tailgate the next guy, then punch it to fit through the next crack to gain another 2 car lengths. I just drive along normally, not slow, but watch ahead of me. And then usually pass that other guy later down the road because his last mad dash for an opening pinned him in the slowest lane.

Last edited:

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Ok, First off, I've done 60mpg in a Mk6...and there is no way I'm going to even attempt back to back 60mpg tanks, even assuming conditions would allow it. It was enough freaking work to do one tank, and with 15.2 gallons pumped in, I can promise you the mpg was NOT the result of tank to tank variability.