Consumer Reports: MKVI Golf TDI

TDInownow

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now...
Just got the new (March 10) CR a few days ago. They had a VERY positive article about the MKVI Golf where they tested a 2.5 and a TDI. They are now recommending the Golf (predicting average reliability on the TDI and well above average on the 2.5), and they have both at the top of their Small Hatchbacks segment, with the TDI on top. Interestingly, the Jetta TDI is also the top sedan. Two things I found very interesting:

1) They made a point to test the manual TDI Golf. They called it 38MPG overall with 49MPG highway. Pretty impressive, especially considering the fact that they called the Jetta 33MPG overall with a DSG. Either way, I think 49 is a bit optimistic, but it's cool nonetheless. I can't get over 41-42 in my JSW, but it's 300 pounds heavier and I drive 75 highway on *not flat* terrain.

2) Regarding the manual they said, "When the revs drop in typical low-speed situations, it's overly easy to stall the engine." Boy, I'm glad to hear that...it's vindication for the 5000 miles I spent learning not to stall the JSW even though I've been driving stick for 15 years.

Just found it all very interesting.

Last edited:

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
I don't have problems with the MT in low speed operation. In fact it seems to have no problem with it staying in 6th gear and going 30 mph.

I have stalled it more times in the first 2 days of ownership than the entire 6 years of my previous car (which had a HD clutch and lightweight flywheel). The problem seems to be 1st gear moving from a dead stop. If rpms drop under 800 or so rpm, it just dies. No chance to catch it or slip the clutch more. BOOM. instantly dead in the water.

I've gotten better with it now, but it's still touchy.

Scenic Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
mysql said:
I have stalled it more times in the first 2 days of ownership than the entire 6 years of my previous car.
Me too. It took a few weeks to get used to it, now I only stall it once in a while. It will probably happen a few times later because I said something :)

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
Makes me wonder why.

The car just turning itself off is irritating. My RX-8 was nice that I could just start it up again without turning the car off first.

bruce846

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's
I think when these TDIs are new the engines are tight and have high compression, therefore, it's my opinion that these factors combined with low RPM's and not keeping your heel on the floor when operating the clutch led to stalling. After 3000 miles, no problem.

Edit: The comment about high compression here was in comparison to gassers, not other diesels broken in or not.

Last edited:

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
I haven't read anything about compression getting lower with age - I read them getting higher compression as it breaks in (~20k miles). So if high compression is the cause, it would get worse.

bruce846

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's
I think what you say is correct, but just one of the factors. The engines loosen up during break in, probably more of a contributory factory, my opinion.

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
I'd like confirmation. If it's just breaking in and getting smoother to spin, then that's a good excuse for it being difficult and I'll feel good about it.

If it's just a pain in the ass for no reason, then I won't feel as delighted ;)

bruce846

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's
In my case, just keeping my heel on the floor to better modulate the clutch action solved the problem... either that or I am not well coordinated, I'll let you make the call!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
bruce846 said:
The engines loosen up during break in, probably more of a contributory factory, my opinion.
The rings seat better as it breaks in, thereby increasing the compression which is still lower than any of the older tdi's.

I wonder what the stock flywheel weight for the CBEA is?

TDInownow

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now...
I don't think it's really a compression thing so much as a design thing. For some reason, VW designed these cars with a safeguard to prevent lugging below a certain RPM. In most cars, you can feel the engine starting to lug heavily and getting ready to stall. In these, you don't get the response from the engine that it's going to stall because once the RPMs drop under a certain threshold, the engine is actively killed by the CPU (harshly).

Fortunately for me, my 65 mile commute has one stop sign and two lights, which are almost always green at the time I'm on the road. I don't stop much on my daily journey.

I have gotten used to being very sensitive to the engine RPM at a higher level than normal (~1000RPM) and not letting it drop below that if I'm pulling out of a stop, etc.

PS Scenic: I drive through OC NY every day on 84.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
mysql said:
how much lower is the newer tdi's? and why is it lower?
oilhammer or others will probably tear me a new one for not knowing these exactly and will give you the exact numbers but here is a summary
1.5L,1.6L,1.9L IDI - 23:1
1.9 VE DI - 19.5:1
1.9/2.0 PD DI - 18.5:1
2.0 CR DI - 16.5:1

mysql said:
and why is it lower?
I'll let the meister himself field this one (I don't need both these gents beating me up)
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=232821&postcount=10