How many of you are still rocking a MK4 as your DD?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A wagon would be more suitable for towing as well, bigger and heavier. A golf cant do much besides a seadoo or small utility trailer.
Common misconception. Although the wagon is about 9" longer than the Golf, it has the same wheelbase and weight is pretty similar, depending on equipment level in each car. My base GL wagon weighs under 3,000 lbs. A GLS Golf weighs about the same.

I have both a Golf and a Wagon, and although I agree it's easier to carry large objects in the Wagon, I'm impressed with the size of the cargo area in the Golf. Significantly larger than my MKVI Golf was.

My '02 Wagon is still my DD after 16 years and 360K miles. The MKVII GSW sits in the garage most of the time.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
B5.5 Passat Wagon and 2006 Jetta Wagon - both with about 210k km. The Passat needs things repaired fairly often (lift pump, steering linkages, thermostat now a boost hose etc) but nothing I haven't been able to do myself since I bought it about 5 years ago and had the timing belt, cam and tandem pump done.

The Jetta has had NOTHING go wrong since I bought it about 7 years ago and had the timing belt done. Only regular maintenance - oh and the lift pump.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
A wagon would be more suitable for towing as well, bigger and heavier. A golf cant do much besides a seadoo or small utility trailer.

That is simply not true. Of the A4 cars, the Golf is actually the BEST for towing. Why? Because its hitch is closest to the rear axle, so tongue loads effect it less. Otherwise, they are all identical. Same powertrain, same brakes, same suspension.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Common misconception. Although the wagon is about 9" longer than the Golf, it has the same wheelbase and weight is pretty similar, depending on equipment level in each car. My base GL wagon weighs under 3,000 lbs. A GLS Golf weighs about the same.

I have both a Golf and a Wagon, and although I agree it's easier to carry large objects in the Wagon, I'm impressed with the size of the cargo area in the Golf. Significantly larger than my MKVI Golf was.

My '02 Wagon is still my DD after 16 years and 360K miles. The MKVII GSW sits in the garage most of the time.
Probably because you couldn't fit a human in the back of a mk4 golf...it had great trunk space I'll agree, but people couldn't stop complaining everytime they got in it... I can't speak for the Mk6, but my mk7 is a different world, plenty of room for a normal adult to fit in the back seat and decent amount of trunk space

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I can count on one hand how many times I have had an occupant in the rear seat of my Golf. Just isn't that important to me on that car. And truth be told, the Passat sedan is longer (more legroom) but worse headroom and ingress/egress is difficult due to the sloping roof line (the A4 Jetta sedans are horrible for this). At least the Golf and all the wagons have a straight roof line, something the sedans used to have, so getting in and out is not so bad.

I have sat in the back of cars like mine, though, and while I would not want to travel a long distance, they were tolerable for short distances. I don't think I'd want to drive around every day in anything larger.

Mostly for me, it is just the driver... and once in a while a front seat passenger. Plenty of room for that, and I can (and have) spent pretty much all day driving one. The fuel tank can outlast my bladder usually. :)

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Plenty of room in the back of a B5 Passat wagon! I can sleep stretched out fully in the back with the seats folded down and I'm 6'3".

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Not a wagon, but my 2000 Jetta is still my DD despite owning a "new-never titled" 2015 Golf TDI I bought last May. I have only put 3,000 miles on the Golf in that time period.

And if stuff like rocks or debris hits the Jetta on the road, who cares?

I also like the power band of the ALH better.

Steve140

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 & 2011 Golf TDIs
I have had my 2000 Golf for 16 years. Has 553000 kms on it with the original fuel pump, turbo etc. Also have a 2011 Golf with 140000 km with a tune and full delete. Stored it over the winter. Recently bought another 2002 Golf with 325000 km on it.

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic
Still driving the 03 wagon with 527K as the DD, although now that I'm retired it's not racking up the mileage any longer. Body is starting to go in a few places where the paint has rubbed off, no holes or anything though.
Wife would like something easier to get into, but I figure I'll keep it until the 01M fails again. Not going to put another $6K transmission into it, but so far the reman is still going strong and has gone 60K beyond the original transmission.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Well I'm now rolling in a 2003 wagon so we'll see how it goes :). Will be hard to say goodbye to the MK6 GTI and all its go-karty goodness, but the ALH wagon just makes so much more sense for me.

Startering

TDI
2001 Beetle GLS
Put maybe 200,XXX kms on my 2001 new beetle. Granted I'm only 19 now but my father owned it before me so realistically I put maybe 8k? Haha as a teenager I love my stupid slow ALH (5 speed).

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Only 168,000 on my '04 and I drive it almost every day. The only time I haven't driven it is when the battery was dead one morning. I think I need to drive further and use the heated seat less.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Well I'm now rolling in a 2003 wagon so we'll see how it goes :). Will be hard to say goodbye to the MK6 GTI and all its go-karty goodness, but the ALH wagon just makes so much more sense for me.

Live within your means is important.

Fahrvergnugen

TDI
:( all gone
Just sold the mk4 BEW golf! still tones of life with 386,000 and ONLY reason I had to get rid of it is I don't have room for two cars and the lady does not like driving manual.... sad day :(

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
Still driving my 2005 wagon. For now anyway. I having been looking for something I can carry our tandem inside. Found the outback does the job so wagon is going to be for sale

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Ya my last tank with my beat-up mkiv ALH I got 1005 kms on the tank and the fuel light was not on yet.
I also have a Silverado and Corvette, if I want to waste fuel, haul things or go fast I get in those ;)

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
I drive my 2002 ALH still and have only 463,000 km on it. Just got back from a 3 Day trip to Vancouver (2,650 km) and no Oil usage to see on the Dipstick. With the car prices today I will keep this car until the last day!!!!

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
Me and my wife both daily drive a mk4 Jetta. Just went to a wedding in NC in mine and it ran and drove perfect. Honestly I bought mine with a bad tranny for $800, with leather, sunroof, clean body and ok paint. Threw an 01m that I had out of a car that I crashed (I work in NYC), put a valve body for good measure($300) and I’d drive it to California tomorrow. There’s no car in that price range that is this simple, reliable & pulls like 40 mpg to boot. If you can do some of your own wrenching, to me, it’s a no brainer

Last edited:

Hwycruiser

TDI
DD- 02 Golf 5spd with 270k, avg 45mpg, and run all over Texas in it, plus tow with it. Only had one breakdown last year when turbo oil feed line came loose (fortunately happened in town at low speed), otherwise very reliable. I do think about a new Golf TSI, but my TDI is paid for and the maintenance/repairs are reasonable so its hard to justify a new one right now. Very enjoyable versatile DD that is fun to drive.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's a vented tank, so the first half lasts longer than the second half. But that tank was over 800 miles. I've been getting 51 MPG or so the last few tanks, despite sitting in traffic and running at 80 MPH on the highway when traffic is moving.

Like I wrote, ALHs are amazing. My '15 will get good FE if you drive it gently, but ALHs get good mileage no matter what you do, it seems.

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
That's a vented tank, so the first half lasts longer than the second half. But that tank was over 800 miles. I've been getting 51 MPG or so the last few tanks, despite sitting in traffic and running at 80 MPH on the highway when traffic is moving.

Like I wrote, ALHs are amazing. My '15 will get good FE if you drive it gently, but ALHs get good mileage no matter what you do, it seems.

Yes even I vent the tank, and run the .205 injector tips. My commute is a mix of highway-city 60%-40%, but I still can't break the 5L/100kms. barrier ever...:(. I think I average around 5.5L/100kms. I drive on the highway around 100-105km/h.