Driver side mirror knocked out overnight, replace whole unit or specific parts affect

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 CW Golf TDi, '92 Honda Civic VX (wrecked), '96 Honda Civic CX hatchback (non-TDI)
I got out to my car this morning and noticed that my driver side mirror was busted and left hanging over the door.

I found the mirror on the other side of my car by the curb, in case anyone is wondering.

Good thing I still haven't used my $500 Goodwill card yet, but I don't want to use it on replacing the entire unit if I don't have to.

So what do you say? Replace the entire thing or just the specific parts?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
So what do you say? Replace the entire thing or just the specific parts?
If it were me, I would do some of my own legwork before asking feeble questions. Go to 1stvwparts.com, and find out how the parts and assemblies are supplied by VW, and for what price. I would look for existing how-to's online that show the mirror removal and possibly disassembly. I would check the Bentley manual for repair pictures.

Or just leave the mirror off, because it improves aerodynamics.

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 CW Golf TDi, '92 Honda Civic VX (wrecked), '96 Honda Civic CX hatchback (non-TDI)
lol at the last line.

Looking at the diagram, I may have to end up replacing the entire assembly sans the caps. I will also need to get another mirror as well. I've been hitting up Vortex to see if anyone is selling their mirror for cheap before resorting to using the VW dealership card as I wanted to save that for other things.

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
Try looking in local salvage yards as well.
ben
Definitely. I don't want to use up a huge chunk of my Goodwill dealership card for it, so I'll be hitting up local salvage yards as well.

Found one for $65 but won't be able to check it out until Saturday :(

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Definitely. I don't want to use up a huge chunk of my Goodwill dealership card for it, so I'll be hitting up local salvage yards as well.

Found one for $65 but won't be able to check it out until Saturday :(
Bummer... what *** hole did that. I swear I am going to put 24/7 camera surveillance on all my property...

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
Bummer... what *** hole did that. I swear I am going to put 24/7 camera surveillance on all my property...
Even if there was camera surveillance, it would be difficult to identify the vehicle's plate as it's moving.

On another note, I ended up finding the entire assembly out of a GTI Autobahn being parted out locally. I'll end up installing it this weekend. Some parts are still salvageable such as the motor and the sound cap so all isn't lost I suppose.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
if it was me, I would mix up a quarter of a tube of epoxy, put it together, tape up till it sets.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
if it was me, I would mix up a quarter of a tube of epoxy, put it together, tape up till it sets.
Dang, I don't think that's a good idea at all... The mirror looks like it needs to be weather tight. I don't see how any amount of epoxy will make it "like new" and able to stand up to a crazy rain storm.

DUBPL8, you're on the right track! The mirror should be interchangeable with the GTI housing. Let us know how the install goes when you're done. I'm pretty sure VW doesn't make it "easy" :eek::D:cool:

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree with this. If you use the right adhesive and buy the $14.00 mirror you are done. $20.00 repair.
True, I could have done that. But I ended up picking up an entire assembly out of a junkyard for $50 bucks more :D

It all works fine, so I'll keep it for spare parts.

Dang, I don't think that's a good idea at all... The mirror looks like it needs to be weather tight. I don't see how any amount of epoxy will make it "like new" and able to stand up to a crazy rain storm.
DUBPL8, you're on the right track! The mirror should be interchangeable with the GTI housing. Let us know how the install goes when you're done. I'm pretty sure VW doesn't make it "easy" :eek::D:cool:
It wasn't actually bad at all. The only issue I had was with the clips, and since I had the deAutoKey trim tool, it made it pretty simple to take the door panel off.

So right now, I have the door panel on with 4 Torx screws secured to the door itself, and left the clips out so I can figure out how to put them in the "open" position. I'm surprised I didn't break the clips as I've done with my previous cars lol

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
It wasn't actually bad at all. The only issue I had was with the clips, and since I had the deAutoKey trim tool, it made it pretty simple to take the door panel off.
So right now, I have the door panel on with 4 Torx screws secured to the door itself, and left the clips out so I can figure out how to put them in the "open" position. I'm surprised I didn't break the clips as I've done with my previous cars lol
The way they designed the door clips is pretty brilliant!

I had to take my door panel off to replace my window switches & mirror switch last year and found the process to be pretty painless. The clips were a bit hard to get off the first time however :eek:

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
^Very true.

I took my car out to work for the first time in a week, and I noticed that the side mirror glass is vibrating and wobbling while the passenger side mirror glass is secure and steady.

Is there anything I need to check to make sure it's secured? The M8 screw is already as tight as one can get, so I'm not sure what else I can do.