High mileage CR - post it up!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Could be sway bar end links. one thing to look at are the subframe mounting bolts, and the subframe bracket bolts.

After some alternate investigations, I found a couple loose (stretched a bit it seems).

I just replaced the bolts and re-torqued to spec, followed by alignment, and have been impressed with the ride ever since. (also the nice struts I put in, oem spec, but new bushings are nice.)

the funny thing is, you would need to drop the subframe to replace the sway bar, which would mean you would have to torque the mounting bolts. (and should replace) could be they did this before that fixed a complaint for another customer, and it was only the loose bolts, which fixed the problem, not the sway bar. (just a thought)

angelman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sportswagon tdi
The car hasn't exactly been ridden hard (my wife is not the fastest of drivers). I may or may not have taken it out for the occasional blast in the mountains on a very few occasions but fewer than I can count on one hand. I wish it was wet where we are, we need rain in SoCal!

I can't do any work myself but it helps to get some background info when talking to mechanics, dealers etc.

Thankyou for you comments

tekka

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Holy ****, AWESOME, did you go 283,000 on original DPF, how did you know to change it finally, usually it can back up and blow a turbo,
So my turbo blew at around 95k...should I be worried about the dpf? Dealer that replaced my turbo didn't mention it.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
So my turbo blew at around 95k...should I be worried about the dpf? Dealer that replaced my turbo didn't mention it.
Some that have reported turbo failures talk about oil leaking out of the tail pipe. If it were my car, I would insist that they replace the dpf at that point. Here's the discussion thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=360617

There is also a thread just for the failure reporting and you should be able to find links within the thread above.

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
Was the turbo failure due to bad bearing? Or locking up of the valve flaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tekka

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Was the turbo failure due to bad bearing? Or locking up of the valve flaps?

Here's the email I got from the service tech at dealership...make sense to anyone? It doesn't to me, but I'm not a gear head.

"What failed was the bushing inside the turbo making the car sputter and check eng light."

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
Here's the email I got from the service tech at dealership...make sense to anyone? It doesn't to me, but I'm not a gear head.

"What failed was the bushing inside the turbo making the car sputter and check eng light."

Yeah bad bearing.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI

I pulled over to take a photo of the 100K moment!

• Only issue was one injector replaced under warranty a very long time ago.
  • I just received new tires from Tirerack. This will be the second time I put on tires.
  • No other expenses besides oil changes, filters, and fuel.
  • I hope the good luck continues. I love the car!

PS: I also replaced the battery after about 2.5 years. I thought it was an iced intercooler issue and still think it was, but my battery also didn't make the test.

100K!

on Flickr

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Nice.

Looks like it doing a regen 959 ETG;s at idle.
I think you're right! The idle is elevated too. I didn't realize that until after I took the photo. But no worries, I was back on the road cruising down the highway again in very short order.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
Any updates? I have 2011 JSW with 112534, bought it last February with 80K. They did put T-6 5-40 oil for one the oil changes. It has ash load 138g.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.......sharing a 100,000 mile essentially trouble free experience.................

.......makes this sailor's day!

Thanks, ez

mzg

TDI
2011 VW GOLF TDI
My golf is at 131000 no issues yet, other then light bulb issues ,for some reason it senses that my passenger marker bulb is out and I have the orange dash light on but in reality it all works. replaced a few filters and now its time for new timing belt dsg fluid change oil and so on.

Tfuce

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI
LOL, I just hit 8000 on my Golf. I have a 2002 Honda with 225,000 and a 2001 BMW with 216,000 so I am hoping for a similarly long, productive life.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Now my TDi has rolled into 170k miles mark. Shes 2011 JSW TDI.

tadurkee

Veteran Member
TDI
none (formerly 2010 JSW DSG)
I'm officially out of the running for 500 or 600,000 miles. My poor 2010 JSW with 370,000 miles was in an accident 2 weeks ago and insurance company decided it was a total loss. After getting over the initial shock (rear end damage only but frame was bent) and receiving only $9500 for my car, I purchased a 2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring with 40,000 miles for $12,500. It's a decent enough car (lots of cargo space just like the JSW) but I miss the torque and handling. I won't miss the high maintenance cost. And with gas being so inexpensive (for now anyway), the Elantra gets about 27mpg combined city/highway. During the winter I was only getting about 34mpg in the JSW, so actually paying a bit less overall at the pump right now.

But I do miss that JSW. Definitely a fun ride and an experience I will never forget.

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
Still people talk about high maintenance costs. Still have yet to see them. (At 52k miles)

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
tadurkee,
Sorry to hear about your car but at least you were not injured I hope. 370k is an impressive number and your car was certainly one of the higher mileage examples in the country.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I don't think my wife's Beetle will ever get that high. We drive my Golf on any trip just to keep the miles off hers. That's one reason I finally hit 150k.

But I keep an eye out for high mileage customers' cars to post up.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone

LaTuFu

TDI
2010 JSW, 2005 Passat Wagon BHW
My car just hit 200,100 miles today. Knock on wood it's been a great car.
Holy moly, 50k a year driving. Where are you going all the time? :D

And I thought I drove a lot putting 22-25k a year on mine...

tadurkee

Veteran Member
TDI
none (formerly 2010 JSW DSG)
tadurkee,
Sorry to hear about your car but at least you were not injured I hope. 370k is an impressive number and your car was certainly one of the higher mileage examples in the country.
Thanks Matt. Was not injured but my JSW took quite a hit in the rear (actually 2 hard hits). I know I could have gotten at least 500K if not 600K on that car. My JSW and me were buddies. It's like losing a good friend. :(

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
$9500 seems more than fair for your car with 370k on it.

but sorry for your loss, just the same.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Silverghost, any update on that 2010 JSW mileage now?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Ekk sorry to hear about your beloved JSW. I feel the exactly same thing with my JSW.... Chugging at 170,300 miles today.....

I'm officially out of the running for 500 or 600,000 miles. My poor 2010 JSW with 370,000 miles was in an accident 2 weeks ago and insurance company decided it was a total loss. After getting over the initial shock (rear end damage only but frame was bent) and receiving only $9500 for my car, I purchased a 2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring with 40,000 miles for $12,500. It's a decent enough car (lots of cargo space just like the JSW) but I miss the torque and handling. I won't miss the high maintenance cost. And with gas being so inexpensive (for now anyway), the Elantra gets about 27mpg combined city/highway. During the winter I was only getting about 34mpg in the JSW, so actually paying a bit less overall at the pump right now.

But I do miss that JSW. Definitely a fun ride and an experience I will never forget.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
121,xxx as of today

'10 GOLF TDI 6MT (purchased June'10)

funny thing i'm still on original brakes, (about 6mm in the back 50%?) and (about 10mm in the front 65%?)
120K service i did: Timing belt, Brake system flush. and since coolant was drained about 60% for TB it was just refilled and didnt need a flush service.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
105k here, took delivery of my '11 jsw with 34 miles on it end of august 2010. been good other than a broken rear spring, rusted rear caliper and the paint failing around the front bumper reflectors.. (I think it was hastily repaired shipping damage before I took delivery..) it has been great. also knock on wood.. starting to gather the parts and tools for the upcoming timing belt job.

Diesel here in va/nc is about 2.55 a gal, gas might be .50 less, I fully expect fuel prices to be right back at $4+ a gallon as soon as opec squeals. to operate on any other assumption is, in my opinion, deluded.