P0470 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor

drt568

TDI
2010 vw jetta wagon tdi
I found the Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor (076-906-051B) for under $30. Will install once arrives in the mail. Just want to be positive on what part I should replace. The Exhaust Pressure sensor #2 in behind the oil fill cap that I will start with. Looks like most of the people ended up replacing this one.

drt568

TDI
2010 vw jetta wagon tdi
Installed this morning Exhaust Pressure Sensor

Part came in the mail yesterday and installed before went to work.
Tough getting to the expansion clamp for the larger tube lose, but was able to install and reset with my cheep code reader/code erase.
Driving with out yellow light, feels nice.
I had P0470, P0470 P and P0471 codes before reset.

drt568

TDI
2010 vw jetta wagon tdi
Drove 50 - Now have 1 code

Light stayed off for about 50 miles.
Then last night drove my car and accelerated to get through traffic light.
Light came back, today checked and have P0471. Either the other Sensor (G450 to the left of Oil fill cap) or clogged filter.
My driving habits are not long travel or heavy on the foot feet. I do not drive long distances often.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Both sensor's are the same so VW says and PN ends in G now. Change both why for, if both not bad then only the one that has gone bad. If it isn't broke don't fix it? In my case the one behind oil fill cap was gone bad.
My VW mech using Ross tech adapted it on his lap top and done deal. Yes they have to be he said so they work proper.

Last edited:

drt568

TDI
2010 vw jetta wagon tdi
Replace 2nd sensor

After resetting code. Check engine light was off.
Drove for 30 miles, again light comes on but this time it was for DPF dirty
Code P2453 p.
Looked it up in the owners manual. Said to drive it X speed for X miles.
I did and light went off.
Then after sitting for 30 minutes started back home and check engine light back on.
Once home, tried to reset codes (P0471, P0471 and P2453 P), but could not get it stop when did the rescan. I read that some times need to unplug the electric connector. Then reset code. Did this with success, codes gone.
Driving to work today the DPF light came on. Called different VW dealer for appointment Saturday to check codes. On the way home light went off.

I replaced both sensors with 076 906 051B. I bought these for less $80.
I noticed FXDL said that VW now has these sensors superseded with letter G?
Could it be I need to drive it hard to get it to fully regenerate(clean)? Or maybe longer drives. It is 0 degrees outside now, so getting it up to proper tempters might be tough.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
To confirm my 0470 G450 sensor 1 Exhaust sensor issue is related to the sensor behind the oil fill cap. I disconnected the sensor by the Aux fuel pump and received another code for no DPF pressure sensor. This is the same as the info posed on rosstech that the bentley is wrong.

I'm not sure if the coded the senors backwards, but I'll be replacing the sensor behind the oil fill once it arrives early next week.
I think I am having the same problems. VCDS code P0470 says G450 sensor 1 is bad. So we changed sensor 1 on Aux Pump and code comes back after recalibrating and clearing code and code comes back.

Should we be changing Sensor 2 behind oil filler cap instead. Is Vagcom mixed up on Sensor 1 G450 vs Sensor 2 G451?

With CBEA and CJAA engines, the factory documentation may show the wrong part location for the Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 (G450). This sensor is in a foil pouch just behind the oil cap.

Really confused here

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Your question is really how to match the actual physical part with the sensor1 sensor2 as relates to the computer.

the idea of disconnecting the plug from one sensor and running a scan may be helpful in this task.

VW changed the way these are plumbed in somewhere along the way. documentation just did not catch up.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I think I am having the same problems. VCDS code P0470 says G450 sensor 1 is bad. So we changed sensor 1 on Aux Pump and code comes back after recalibrating and clearing code and code comes back.

Should we be changing Sensor 2 behind oil filler cap instead. Is Vagcom mixed up on Sensor 1 G450 vs Sensor 2 G451?

With CBEA and CJAA engines, the factory documentation may show the wrong part location for the Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 (G450). This sensor is in a foil pouch just behind the oil cap.

Really confused here
It is definitely confusing. Because I have VCDS, I have been involved in the replacement of these differential pressure sensors on 3 CR diesels (not mine - yet). In my (admittedly limited) experience - I have never seen that sensor over the aux fuel pump fail. In every case it was always the one above the DPF (behind the oil filler) that failed. I suspect that the heat from the DPF regeneration damages that sensor over time. Apparently that foil insulation wrap is not enough protection for this sensor.

There were also apparently some name changes for these sensors between the CBEA and the CJAA engines which just makes things even more complicated and confusing. VCDS should be able to tell you which one is which, but without access to VCDS, I would always start by replacing the one behind the oil filler (the one that is more difficult to replace). The confusion about which sensor is which is the reason why many shops just replace both sensors at the same time - to eliminate the guesswork and to guarantee a fix on the first attempt.

Have Fun!

Don

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Thanks, will swap out the sensor by the oil filler next. How far can the car be driven with the faulty sensor as I have driven 365 kms or 227 miles with the faulty sensor.

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
Right on topic. I just replaced both sensors last night. Bought them with the VW gift card. The one behind the Oil filler was a quite some work to remove the clamp from the larger hose. Wife took the car to work today, about 50 miles. Will see if the CEL cames back on.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I've put on about 25K and year and half since replacing the sensor by the oil fill cap.

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
CEL came back after 60 miles. This time it is the dreaded exhaust flap valve stuck open. Will replace it. I am glad I have the VW gift card.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
CEL came back after 60 miles. This time it is the dreaded exhaust flap valve stuck open. Will replace it. I am glad I have the VW gift card.
The exhaust valve has a extended warranty to 120k.

edgewatertom

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd GLS; 2010 Jetta 6spd; 2003 Golf 2DR 5spd; 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8DuraMAX
I'm posting here since this is the last active thread on the topic.

This is on my 2010 Jetta CJAA and it popped a CEL.

001136 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 (G450)
P0470 - 000 - Malfunction - MIL ON

I removed the sensor from behind the oil fill spot and and it is the 03G 906 051G.

I see that there are D, E, F and K versions available but the K is about $40.00 more. ???

Questions...

Is the G version still available and if so, should I go with it?

Should I switch both of them to the 076 906 051, if so what is the latest version?

My wife is counting on you TDI masters. ;)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I removed the sensor from behind the oil fill spot and and it is the 03G 906 051G.

I see that there are D, E, F and K versions available but the K is about $40.00 more. ???
If I am not mistaken, that 03G part number has been superseded by newer part number. The correct p/n for a 2010 is 076 906 051B. This is the part number for both differential pressure sensors in a 2010-2014 (CJAA) engine. 2009 (CBEA) engines need a 076 906 051A sensor.

Note: you will probably also need to find someone with VCDS to adapt the new sensor (actually to adapt the ECU to the new sensor).

Have Fun!

Don

edgewatertom

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd GLS; 2010 Jetta 6spd; 2003 Golf 2DR 5spd; 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8DuraMAX
Awesome Don, Thanks for the quick reply.

Fortunately I do have VCDS.

The wife says thanks. ;)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
If you have the vcds, and have removed the sensor, have you used the VCDS to verify which sensor is involved?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
While you have the sensor unplugged, (and the engine running) look at the engine controller, advanced measuring values, and see if there is a value for DPF differential pressure

you also can run basic settings 78, (you have to enter 78, there is not a pull down menu for this option) and verify the other differential pressure sensor is still working. (the one across the EGR filter)

the reason to care (other than potentially changing the wrong one) is that the one across the DPF (450) has a basic settings option to adapt, the other one does not.

I suspect just having the sensor unplugged may throw a code, and it should match the error you saw earlier.

Car901

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6spd, Black, in and out - traded for '17 Alltrack
My '10 JSW threw P0470 last week. So, just ordered a 076-906-051B through Amazon for $25. I'll start w/ the sensor behind the oil filler and see what happens.

edgewatertom

Veteran Member
TDI
How can you tell if the adaptation was successful?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
good question.

Assuming you mean the G540 adaptation. the real deal is that the DPF pressure will read. and the DPF differential offset.

i think (ok, guess...) this probably adapts once in a while as you drive, and the manual adaptation gives it a head start. perhaps a different question would be what happens if you do not do the adaptation. how long it takes till things are all adjusted.

Or are you asking how to tell the other sensor is working?

edgewatertom

Veteran Member
TDI
I replaced the sensor.
Moved ignition key to ON
Opened VCDS
Selected 01 - Engine
Selected Coding II
Entered the value for Start Exhaust Pressure Sensor Adaption

I then got a message about login successful and selected OK (or something like that)

Nothing else happened so I waited a while, turned off the ignition, waited a while, turned on the ignition, started it cleared the codes and went for a drive. NO CEL

I am getting values for pressure in Group 100 slots 3 and 4.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds good to me.:)

if you reset errors, OBD readiness will not fully clear until the car finishes a DPF regeneration it runs on its own.

you probably do not care so much about this in MD.

edgewatertom

Veteran Member
TDI
Cool. I'll report back in a few days, it's the wife's DD.

Car901

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6spd, Black, in and out - traded for '17 Alltrack
Installed sensor Saturday, which was a bit frustrating removing the hose retainer. Ran around town for a bit, CEL still on. Today, wife also drove around. Came home to go to dentist, CEL is off. Game over.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Subscribed. Just got this code.

What is the most current part number?

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Give your VIN to a vendor who has access to the vw supply system.

if you call a local dealer parts desk, and ask nice, they should be able to give you the part number and a price.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
According to VCDS, Sensor 1 was bad. Did some looking around in the engine, (with my mirror as well) and see that both part numbers are the same:

Sensor 1 (left of oil fill): 076 906 051B
Sensor 2 (behind oil fill): 076 906 051B

I cleared the code and so far so good. It hasn't come back. I am driving more "spirited" though, as someone previously suggested. Had a regen as well during this time.

Last edited: