If VW buys back your JSW, what will you replace it with?

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Every TDI owner that is moved out of their car should buy the biggest SUV or truck that gets atrocious MPG. That will show EPA, CARB how to save the world. :D

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
I have 273,000 miles on two JSW TDI...both with Pano.

I bet in that 273k miles, no more than 500 have been driven with the shade back.

So the Pano is a waste to me.

I definitely love the manual (three of my 4 VW TDI cars have/had manual, the other is a Touareg), so the manual is a must have.

I also need a hatch and storage space, as I haul stuff frequently (stuff that is too large to fit through a door or into a trunk).

That leaves me with a base GSW TSI 1.8 Turbo. I think I can live with that if the price/buyback is right.

If VW can't keep me, looking at a small truck or maybe a Subaru...but the Subarus seem a little pricey for what you get.

4WD would be nice. My cabin in MO is 4 miles off the pavement. And the 6 miles of trails I have on my Ozark paradise requires 4wd and clearance (hence my looking at Tacomas). The 23 year old Land Cruiser I keep on the property won't last forever.

I just have to decide which compromise(s) I am willing to live with.

But if VW plays their cards right, I could very well end up in a TSI GSW manual.

fastball

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Golf Wagon, DSG, panoramic sunroof, Weathertech mats, Curt hitch
Am with you on the Pano.
While I enjoy the light it brings into the vehicle, I've really never used it more than occasionally while driving around town. Plus, the thing had issues with the track and rattling. I had been in the shop at least a dozen times - and they finally replaced the whole thing. In doing so, they caused some kind of mysterious rattle where the A-pillar meets the dash. They've had it apart and put back together several times to no avail. So I can totally do without the pano.
A new 1.8L TSI Golf is probably where I'll end up....and I'll take the Sight and Sound option package with the bi-xenon lights and Fender Premium audio system.
While the Subaru Forester is probably the perfect replacement for my JSW, the Forester is about as sexy as the box that the car came in...and the folks at Subaru sure haven't spent a dime on the interior or electronics.

iadubber

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW
I'm really having a hard time finding a suitable replacement for my JSW if I were to give it back to VW. It's just such a perfect car for me. I love that it's manual, I love the torque before and after a Malone tune, and I have plenty of leg room for me and the kids behind me. And I only will sell it back to VW if I'm forced to or the buyback amount is considerably above what the car is currently worth. I wouldn't mind getting out of a car payment and buying a beater with any cash left over from paying off my loan.

I came from a BMW 525iT E39 Touring and really do miss that beast. If it was a manual I would have kept it and not traded it in on the JSW. That's about the only thing I would want back, otherwise I guess it's just going to be a beater with a heater and save some money on insurance and car note payments.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
My roof has never rattled.....I've had the cover run forward one time. The rest of the time it's been opened. I've only had the roof opened a time or two though.

It's too bad VW never brought their truck here. I would consider it big time.

BioBilly

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2002 Jetta TDI, 2004 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta lucky me TDI
My BUYBACK PRICE IN 2 WORDS... "POLO"
This is the only way we're gonna get Polos in the USA people,
Unless they're screwed up as well?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
VW won't introduce the Polo here. The Golf is their lowest-selling vehicle in North America. Why introduce the Polo when they can just point us to the $20k Golf?

During the recession, there was almost a case for the Polo as the public was suddenly keen on small cars again. But notice that in just 1 redesign cycle, even cars like the Cruze have become mid-sized. And I don't see all that many Sonics, and even fewer Sparks.

The margins also probably don't justify certifying and importing the Polo.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
VW won't introduce the Polo here. The Golf is their lowest-selling vehicle in North America. Why introduce the Polo when they can just point us to the $20k Golf?

During the recession, there was almost a case for the Polo as the public was suddenly keen on small cars again. But notice that in just 1 redesign cycle, even cars like the Cruze have become mid-sized. And I don't see all that many Sonics, and even fewer Sparks.

The margins also probably don't justify certifying and importing the Polo.
It's a shame that we won't buy the Polo in sufficient numbers to make it worthwhile. Are you sure the Golf is the lowest selling model in NA? Hard to believe they sell more CC's, or Touregs.

iwegian

TDI
2009 Sportwagon
Loved the Sportwagon but after HPFP failure they made me pay for out of pocket I was already not going to buy another VW. So now with this I am looking for a non VW car that is mainly for commute to/from work that will be eventually handed down to daughter. So fuel mileage, low end torque (love diesel) and handling are important. Room to carry things would be great....hard to beat the sportwagon. But looking seriously at the Ford Fiesta 3 cylinder SFE that has some pretty good reports (Alex on youtube for example). Sounds like torque like a diesel, excellent mileage (up to 50 on test loop) on rug. Have several other diesels I can console myself with.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
Loved the Sportwagon but after HPFP failure they made me pay for out of pocket I was already not going to buy another VW. .
It is the concern about a HPFP failures that has me thinking that I will take advantage of the buyback. But I have to figure out what I want to replace it first..

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
I'm just so happy I didn't get rid of my 2003 golf when I bought my 2014 GSW. If Vw dose buy it back I just have to make sure it's in good shape for a DD the 500$ at the dealer helped with that. I just want it to last long enough for the Tesla model 3 to be available.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
It is the concern about a HPFP failures that has me thinking that I will take advantage of the buyback. But I have to figure out what I want to replace it first..
I knew about the HPFP issues long before I bought my 2014 JSW. It was one of the reasons I traded my 2010 JSW for a NMS Passat TDI. I suspect that it had a substantially tougher pump than earlier HPFP versions. There's a thread on that here!

Why did I trade the Passat for a 2014 JSW? I just like the wagon better, and decided to get the last of the MKVI-A6 JSWs on the assumption that it would be better than the 2015 (though I do like the new JSW!).

But anyway, I decided that HPFP or turbo fail or whatever is something I was willing to risk. I made the decision consciously, and deliberately. Not everyone went into HPFP paradise with foresight. I bought a 2010! But I bought 2014 too. HPFP failures were about 1% for earlier models BEFORE HPFP upgrades.

Last edited:

dnslater

TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI
JSW alternatives

I'm enjoying this thread. The JSW fits my needs well aside from the diesel as I only have a 5 mile commute now but really enjoy the torque. We have three kids and a dog, and my wife has an Impreza so I have the "big" vehicle so I cannot go with anything with less space so a Golf R/GTI or Mazda 3 (terrific interior) is sadly not an option. I refuse to go the Minivan route again or get a crossover as I really enjoy driving experience. I also don't want to take on another loan, and estimate I will have $15-$17k to spend so I will go lightly used. My criteria is a sporty, fun lightly used wagon. It is surprising how much utility I can get out of a Wagon when pared with a Skybox.

Subaru Outback:
I hardly consider these Wagons any more as they have become more SUV-ish. The VW has also made me appreciate a high quality interior-which isn't to be found in the Subaru lineup. Lacks driving dynamics.

CPO TSI VW GSW

I would consider another SW in the new body style. The style of my 13 is ok but I have grown bored with it's jellybean shape.

Acura Sportwagon
I had to gave up my GS-R when I begin having kids, so another Acura is appealing - but I can't stand that beak. Acura reliability is attractive though having owned a long line of Honda/Acura products (85 Civic Si, Integra GSR, Element, Odyssey....). Both thrilled about another FWD car.

Volvo V60 AWD
Attractive exterior and interior. Unsure about maintenance. As I understand they actually have less space than the JSW. Strong contender.

BMW 328i X-drive wagon
Can be had with 50-70k miles in my price range. Great engine and as I understand it is pretty bulletproof although I would be concerned about overall maintenance costs. Would have to do more myself to make up for this. Concerns about BMW owner stigma, but perhaps being a Wagon makes up for this. Not many recommend BMW's with high mileage.

Audi A4 Avant
Love the style of these. Good drivetrain. Haven't been offered here since 2012 so finding a low mileage version in my price range might be tough. Reliability of newer Audi's is actually very good, just like VW. Rare. Love the A3 5-door but those are more comparable to a Golf.

Audi A4 based Allroad
Another strong contender. Latest ones are basically a lifted A4 Avant and they are still sold here so more readily available used. More $$ though.

Anything I am missing? Anyone have thoughts on options above? I realize staying with a European used car will be more maintenance intense, which is a concern, but I only put 8-10k on a car annually and am willing to do some more myself.

Last edited:

starjays

TDI
2000 NB 5MT
Right now I'm leaning heavily toward a three-quarter ton Chevy/GMC duramax, '00-'06. I've got a half-ton '95 GMC gasser, but you all know the story there, despite the 350 it won't pull anything with ease. I don't have the work commute anymore that I did when I bought my JSW and my parents also gave me their old Toyota Avalon (205k mi.) that I've been using as my daily driver. Maybe get back with VW if/when they get their act together on compliant TDIs. Hopefully someday...

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
........I have a '13 JSW - - and I really can't (no offense here) see the jellybean shape........

That being said, the TSI 1.8 5M JSW and the Mazda 3 6M hatch are on my short list.

(But - as will most of us - I will miss the torque-rich, fuel efficient, long ranging style of the diesel)

ez

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
What would I replace my 2011 JSW with?? I'm hoping to get 13-15K in a trade-in, plus 5K from VW.....and if VW wants my business again, they'll have to suck it up and further "incentivize" me by cutting the cost of a new Golf 1.8 TSI by a couple of grand as well. That's the bare minimum starter for me not going and looking at a CX5 or Forester/Outback.
This is exactly where I am. If they want to keep me, there better be a huge additional incentive for me to stay with VW otherwise a CX-5 or OB will be my next car.

FiremanTDI

TDI
2013 JSW/Golf Wagon TDI, 2013 Audi Q7
I bought my car brand new and know the service record. Can't necessarily put a price on that in my opinion. Even after any potential fix if my JSWs fuel economy is the same an an equivalent gasser (ie outback, focus wagon, etc) I would still keep it. Unless I'm gaining something why take the buy back?

JD_TDI

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M
Considering I really do not want to give up a manual, options are slim. My wife and I basically share our Volkswagen as we run our business together and since moving closer to work our commuting needs have changed. We use the Sportwagen a few times a week for our business so a hatch or wagon is essential. We also have 4 large dogs and with the seats down the VW is great.

My list of possibles are a GTI (if VW offers a good enough incentive), BMW 328 wagon (unicorn hunt) and last would be a new Tacoma with a top for the dogs. My wife would like a 4Runner Trail (we rented one in Wyoming a couple years ago and she loved it).

It all really comes down to what VW offers. I wouldn't have a problem keeping the car since my state doesn't require emissions on diesels........yet; selling our 2008 Silverado and get the 4runner for my wife.

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Just had to do an impromptu pickup of a large, 6' long package this morning and appreciated that I didn't have to try to find another vehicle on short notice, tie to a roof w/o rails or drive around with a big box hanging out the back of a trunk. Just when I was thinking GTI or Golf. Now I really wish they'd get the 2015+ JSW TDIs certified if my current is not fixable in a reasonable fashion.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
Just had to do an impromptu pickup of a large, 6' long package this morning and appreciated that I didn't have to try to find another vehicle on short notice, tie to a roof w/o rails or drive around with a big box hanging out the back of a trunk. Just when I was thinking GTI or Golf. Now I really wish they'd get the 2015+ JSW TDIs certified if my current is not fixable in a reasonable fashion.
If there is no TDI, I guess there is the GSW. Other than not being a TDI, my only problem with it is that to get a manual you can only get the base trim level. Anything more than that and you are stuck with an automatic. I suppose replacing the front seats would be a lot easier than doing an automatic->manual conversion. Not sure about getting the heating elements in there.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
If there is no TDI, I guess there is the GSW. Other than not being a TDI, my only problem with it is that to get a manual you can only get the base trim level. Anything more than that and you are stuck with an automatic. I suppose replacing the front seats would be a lot easier than doing an automatic->manual conversion. Not sure about getting the heating elements in there.
Having the lighting package is a must after having it on my 2011 TDI. Seriously HIDs are supreme when it comes to lighting the road :D

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Having the lighting package is a must after having it on my 2011 TDI. Seriously HIDs are supreme when it comes to lighting the road :D
Looks like only the SE is available with the option of adding the lighting package.
MSRP for the SE with just the lighting package addon is $28,840.

Comparing that to a GTI...
4 door S model with the performance package and lighting package is $28,905.

So for just $65 more you get a base model manual transmission GTI (yay, no sunroof!) with the performance package that adds better brakes and 50 more HP... Unless you absolutely need to have the extra cargo space the GTI looks like the better value.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Looks like only the SE is available with the option of adding the lighting package.
MSRP for the SE with just the lighting package addon is $28,840.
Comparing that to a GTI...
4 door S model with the performance package and lighting package is $28,905.
So for just $65 more you get a base model manual transmission GTI (yay, no sunroof!) with the performance package that adds better brakes and 50 more HP... Unless you absolutely need to have the extra cargo space the GTI looks like the better value.
To further build on that GTI...

The SE has the much improved sound system, leather interior and the option to add driver's assistance package along with Dynamic Chassis Control.

Fully loaded SE model is $34,230.

And at that price you're knocking on the door of a Golf R.
Base Golf R is $36,470
fully loaded Golf R with all the options is $40,010

I'm thinking that I'd have to see just how nice the fender system is compared to a standard stereo to see if it's worth the extra cost. I surely love the Dynaudio system in my current Golf. It actually is very close to as good as my custom installed stereo I had in my last car. Color me impressed at just how good it is :cool:

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
Went out today to eleminate options that were low seeded and frankly I didn't expect to make the short list anyway. I didn't even plan on taking any of these for test drives, i just wanted to take a look at the interiors to see how skis would fit.

Toyota Rav4 & Rav4 Hybrid: The Hybrid had an outside chance because of the fuel ecomomy being around 30 combined but as soon as I opened the rear hatch, Iteh rear seats not only didn't go flush, they were a good 8-12" up at an agle taking up precious cargo area alog with the angle made this a no go. I took a look at the regular Rav4, while these seats did fold flat< had talked to someone who has one of the new ones, he only gets 25-26MPG. No go there.

Honda CRV: I was suprised at the anount of space, it could work, but...I sat in the LX and the seat position was awful, to get a power seat, you have to go to the EX or EX-L (Leather), the EX-L is almost $33K. I am not sure I want to drive a CeRVEX...

Hyundai Tuscon 2.0: Sharp looking car but visability is minimal out the back. Like the options listed above, interior is too small and the surprise was that the Tuscon is at the high end of the pricing scale, surprised me for a Hyundai

VW Golf TSi Wagon: I figure is VW is going to try to keep me as a customer, I better see if there is a car that fits my needs and this one comes the closest. Cargo area is the best of the cars I looed at today. Ergonomics are like an old friend. This one I actually took for a drive, basically to check out the drivetrain. Going from a 140hp/246 torque manual transmission to a 170HP/199torque with a Tiptronic (Not DSG) would take some getting used to. I do like that it is NOT a DSG, those take about $400 service every 20K and OMHO it is not worth an extra $45/mo for it, I will never be going through the gears, I will just put it in D and go. VW will have to heavily incentivise one of these to get me back into a VW, lets see how aggressive they want to be. If so, this one will make the cut and to the bonus round.

Still to look at, that are serious contenders, when Tricia can get out there with me, we will look at the Golf SW along with the following.

Mazda CX-5
Subaru Outback

I don't think there are any other real contenders.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Watch out for that Outback. Subaru says they aren't safe to drive.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
.......VW Golf TSi Wagon: .......I do like that it is NOT a DSG, those take about $400 service every 20K.......

Mazda CX-5
Subaru Outback

I don't think there are any other real contenders.
The service for the DSG is every 40k miles.

The only thing that needs changing every 20k is the diesel fuel filter.

Check out the Forester. That'll likely be my pick if I go the Subaru route.

Last edited:

Wklink

TDI
2014 TDI Sportswagen
Not completely sure at this point.

Thought about maybe getting a 2016 Golf Sportswagen. Same size, same layout, would be easy for the wife to adjust to.

We came real close in 2014 to buying a Subaru Forester, might take another look at that. I have always been leery of first year models and I personally liked the JSW better so we went with that.

There are some other cars to look at but I really want something about the size and weight of the JSW. I'm not exactly against replacing it with another VW but if I am going to do it Volkswagen better make it worth my while.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
The service for the DSG is every 40k miles.

The only thing that needs changing every 20k is the diesel fuel filter.

Check out the Forester. That'll likely be my pick if I go the Subaru route.
The size and layout of the Outback suits us better, the cargo area is longer than the Forrester. The DSG service is really irrelivant since it is not the transmission option anyway.