Add me to the list of Dip$hits

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I know exactly what you're talking about. The one and only time that I've dropped my bike (so far) was when I was practicing after hours at the DMV so that I could get my MC endorsement. I took the test at the DMV twice and failed twice. At the time I couldn't get my bike (Kawasaki Concours 1400) around those stinkin lil cones (I can do it now no problemo). The guy giving me the test told me to go borrow a smaller bike from a friend and try again. Well, I didn't have any friends with a smaller bike so I took the basic MSF course to get my MC endorsement instead. I should have started with the MSF course anyways.
Funny thing about the test is that the stuff they have you do in the parking lot has NO practical value in riding on the street or freeway!!! When is the last time someone slowed to a crawl and did tight little circles to avoid a driving cutting into their lane???:D

My bike is a Honda VFR800 Interceptor and I was at just under the steering lock to make the small radius circle they had us ride to test. In CA at the time if you put a foot down at all it was an automatic fail... It was very difficult on virtually any sport or sporty bike. I actually think a good "stunter" would be able to pass the test on a wheelie easier than on two wheels!!!:eek:

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Funny thing about the test is that the stuff they have you do in the parking lot has NO practical value in riding on the street or freeway!!! When is the last time someone slowed to a crawl and did tight little circles to avoid a driving cutting into their lane???:D

My bike is a Honda VFR800 Interceptor and I was at just under the steering lock to make the small radius circle they had us ride to test. In CA at the time if you put a foot down at all it was an automatic fail... It was very difficult on virtually any sport or sporty bike. I actually think a good "stunter" would be able to pass the test on a wheelie easier than on two wheels!!!:eek:
Yeah, or do figure 8's inside a specifically sized box? ;)

I had great fun taking the MSF course on those lil Honda Rebels. The instructors weren't too happy with me when I scraped the crash bars every time I made a turn. They nick named me Sparky. :D

Last edited:

veedubfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 golf
Can't land with your gear up if it's fixed :) I have about 50 hours logged in my grandfather's 55 Cesna 170 tail dragger.

Only having 1 car also helps with using the right handle :)

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Can't land with your gear up if it's fixed :) I have about 50 hours logged in my grandfather's 55 Cesna 170 tail dragger.

Only having 1 car also helps with using the right handle :)
Or having all three cars use the same fuel, in our case, diesel, as we have 3 TDIs. Well we also have a '98 Odyssey but it's retired now and awaiting its fate with the scrap yard.

Planes have misfuel issues too. The odd thing is that jets can burn gasoline, but put jet fuel in a gasoline piston engine, and soon you're going to suddenly find yourself flying a glider, if you manage to make it off the ground (odds are you will, with what gas was left before). Which is why I tend to be anal about watching the fuel jockey put gas in my plane which also happens to glide like a brick.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Got off work this evening and needed to refuel before the 109 mile drive home.

Proceeded to pump $51.00 worth of premium unleaded into the tank.....

I realized my error as I hung up the pump. Thankfully I didn't start the car.

2 hours later: after pulling the rear seat and fuel pump, emptying the tank with a crappy transfer pump from the local auto parts store, putting it all back together, adding another $48 worth of diesel -- finally headed home.

I'm thinking of it like landing gear-up in an airplane. There are those that have and those that will.

Well at least I'm still on the 'Those that will' list for landing gear-up!
IT COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE, is what I tell my self, because it could.
I have not done it, and I hope to say that when I hang up my TDI wings.
Great recovery.

I am a pilot and your analogy is kind of true, but with check list, two
pilots, all kind of warnings it is unlikely. In general aviation retractable
gear planes, yes infinitely more likely to land gear up than planes with gear
down and welded (which can't be landed gear up but landings can still be a fail).

That brings me to a point. CHECK LIST, PLACARDS, USING STANDARD PRACTICE (SAME STATION,
PUMP), are things pilots due to avoid human error. This can apply to some degree to refueling.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
IT COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE, is what I tell my self, because it could.
I have not done it, and I hope to say that when I hang up my TDI wings.
Great recovery.

I am a pilot and your analogy is kind of true, but with check list, two
pilots, all kind of warnings it is unlikely. In general aviation retractable
gear planes, yes infinitely more likely to land gear up than planes with gear
down and welded (which can't be landed gear up but landings can still be a fail).

That brings me to a point. CHECK LIST, PLACARDS, USING STANDARD PRACTICE (SAME STATION,
PUMP), are things pilots due to avoid human error. This can apply to some degree to refueling
The same station thing can be a cause of the problem too, when something at that station changes, or when traveling and dealing with a station that is different but looks the same where colors may mean different things.

The safest way to avoid a misfuel, is simply to read the pump EVERY TIME, and hope the fuel jockey put the right stuff in the right tank at the station!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

That could describe the act of PARKING the motorcycle. Heh.

Bill

Claydon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportswagen TDI
The safest way to avoid a misfuel, is simply to read the pump EVERY TIME, and hope the fuel jockey put the right stuff in the right tank at the station!
I work in the medical field and mix and infuse chemotherapy drugs. No matter how many thousands, or tens of thousands of times I have read the label for a drug, I still read the label to ensure that the concentration (mg/ml) is the same etc.

Mundane, obnoxious, but absolutely necessary. Same applies with fueling up in these cars.

Helo_mech

TDI
2003 VW Golf 5 spd
It's easy in Oregon. My local Chevron's guys are under strict instructions to not put diesel into anything -- gas here has to be pumped by an attendant. Diesel can be owner-pumped.

Otherwise:
red car + right side = diesel
white car + left side = gasoline

When I was in high school in Oregon in the 90s, I drove an 82 rabbit caddy pickup diesel. I went to get fuel at my local station and the guy filled it up with regular. Luckily for me (and them) I noticed and asked the guy if he just filled me up with gas or diesel. They pushed it in the shop, gave me a ride home and called me in the morning after it had been drained and refilled with a free tank of diesel. The last time I was back home I noticed that the same place moved their diesel pumps to the other side of the lot. I never knew you could self serve diesel there. When I move back some day I'll have to try that.

nozzle

TDI
'13 Sportwagen
My problem with the 2013 idiot-proof filler mechanism is with stations that put gasoline nozzles (too small) and/or the larger lipped-farm/truck nozzles (too big) on the diesel pumps. I have spent my Goldilocks moments finding the pump that is "just right" at stations I've not been too before.

Has anyone made an adaptor yet that makes fits on the smaller gasoline nozzle that would open the gate on the 2013 filler neck? I figured a plastic adapter with holder that I could stick to the fuel door would end up saving me one day when I waited too long to find a vendor in an unfamiliar area.

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Mk4 Jetta TDI (Black)
Lesson of the day gents (and ladies too), don't associate colour with fuel type. Under regulations in Canada, we should only have Red/Black for Gas and Yellow/Gray for Diesel however we know that is not the case always. Best thing is to look at what selector you are pressing. Thankfully I have yet to make this mistake. Reminds me of the UK advertizement for the TDIs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyOOUS9_0Lk

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Under regulations in Canada, we should only have Red/Black for Gas and Yellow/Gray for Diesel however we know that is not the case always. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyOOUS9_0Lk
You are lucky to have regulations. At least you can complain about the violators. Here in the USA, there are no regulations regarding diesel pump colors or nozzle diameters. I have pumped diesel fuel from green, black, yellow, and blue pump handles. In the USA pump handle color is meaningless. Only paying attention to what you are doing works to prevent disaster.

Have Fun!

Don

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
If anything, I would have the problem of pumping diesel into my Subaru, my wife's car do to the years of pumping slurry er diesel. The only way I can see gas getting into the old tdi is if I don't refill and the wife takes it for a drive and decides to refill. A highly unlikely occurrence given her hatred of fuel filling.

homersapien

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT
pr
I'm lucky. The fuel filler on my other two vehicles are on the driver's side. Remembering which side of the car I need to put next to the pump helps me double check what fuel I'm putting in which car. (Now, as long as I remember which way to put my landing gear in my amphibian, down for runway, up for water!)
LOL! Same here. In fact, after having (once again) to get back in the car to re-position it for the right hand filler it's hard to forget about using diesel.

I really hated the right side filling port, but maybe it's a useful feature!

Last edited:

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Got off work this evening and needed to refuel before the 109 mile drive home.

Proceeded to pump $51.00 worth of premium unleaded into the tank.....

I realized my error as I hung up the pump. Thankfully I didn't start the car.

2 hours later: after pulling the rear seat and fuel pump, emptying the tank with a crappy transfer pump from the local auto parts store, putting it all back together, adding another $48 worth of diesel -- finally headed home.

I'm thinking of it like landing gear-up in an airplane. There are those that have and those that will.

Well at least I'm still on the 'Those that will' list for landing gear-up!

Close one. You almost got moved to the crappy cr 2.0 faulty fuel pump thread. I still think most if not all of those pump failures are mis fuels.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
It's easy in Oregon. My local Chevron's guys are under strict instructions to not put diesel into anything -- gas here has to be pumped by an attendant. Diesel can be owner-pumped.

Otherwise:
red car + right side = diesel
white car + left side = gasoline
Wow. So if you can't pump regular gas, does that mean you have to tip these guys? You can buy cigarettes though or are you not allowed to touch them and they have to hand them to you too lol. whahhhh

FarmLandWanted

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen 6 Speed Manual
Unbelievable Miss Fueling But It Happened

I am a new member and just love all the info and truly have respect for the folks conversing that have patients and keep their cool and reply constructive manor when they hear something that is unusual, off the wall, contriversal or even somewhat hard to believe. With that being said I would like to tell a story about fueling of my 2001 and 2003 Jetta TDI's. One of my employees miss fueled both of them in the same day, the 2001 was at 1/4 tank and filled with gasoline and the 2003 was at a 1/3 of a tank and filled with gasoline. The 2003 was driven 35 miles when I received a phone call informing me that when the driver approached a stop light the car would stall and would restart if it was cranked for 20 to 30 seconds, he was told to park it and I would come see what the problem was. I was driving the 2001 at the time and just returned to my home when the call came in. I shut it off and went in the house to grab something came back out to car started it at which time I noticed it took longer than normal for it to fire. As I backed out of the drive and let off of the accelerator it also stalled. The wheels in my head started turning fast what is the common denominator here? Immediately I was dialing the other driver of the 2003 and asked what fuel barrel on the farm he pumped fuel out of and if he had fuel both cars. He said he did fuel both cars and informed me that out of three 2000 gallon barrels of fuel he did indeed use the gasoline barrel thinking they were all diesel. The 2001 I was not worried about it was probably only driven 8 miles but the 2003 by that time had been driven 50 plus miles at highway speeds. Long story short I pumped the fuel mixture out of the 2001's tank with a stiff hose into filler hole on tank, changed fuel filter and filled filter housing with a 50/50 mixture of 15-40 engine oil and diesel fuel. I proceeded to fill the tank on car with two gallons 15-40 engine oil well mixed into a full tank of diesel. Started the engine and drove it a few miles no problems has been running fine ever since. Hauled the 2003 back did the same to it as the 2001 and it also is running fine today. This had happened 5 years ago and a lot of miles on them since.
About a year later a 10,000 gallon transport truck and pup brought diesel fuel and gasoline to the farm when I was not nearby to supervise the unload into five tanks. As it would happen 1000 gallons of gasoline ended up in a 2000 gallon tank with about 550 gallons of diesel. Too much diesel to burn in a gas engine and I was not about to blend it off into any of my tractors with and engine in them costing $50,000.00 to $70,000.00. I picked out the least expensive unit I had and it turned out to be the 2001 Jetta TDI that was miss fueled before. I should mention that this happened in November here in North Dakota so we were heading into Winter if that helped or not I do not know. I had a 130 gallon service tank that I used to blend 5 gallons of 15-40 engine oil and this was (new clean oil) into 125 gallons of the mixed diesel and gasoline out of the 2000 gallon barrel. The entire 1550 gallons of the mixed fuel and the 5 gallons of 15-40 oil per 125 gallons of fuel mixture was burned in the 2001 Jetta TDI this was over four years ago and both Jetta's are still going strong today with no repairs needed.

Last edited:

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Mk4 Jetta TDI (Black)
FarmLandWanted that story of yours only reinforces the need for colouring standards across the board for various fluid fuels. Everything from coloured fuel caps, jericans and any pipework/caps associated with filling stations. Not entirely idiotproof, but certainly a step towards being more transparent in terms of identifying fuel types.

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
A friend of mine's step daughter did the opposite, pumped a fuel tank of diesel into her Focus, they had it towed to a shop and got charged $600.

Pumps that combine gas and diesel nozzles are the demon's spawn; my regular station I use had an isolated diesel pump plus you can pump first and pay cash which is my preference.

I do get a receipt just in case and at this point they are already printing it when I walk in to pay lol

Analogeezer

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Planes have misfuel issues too. The odd thing is that jets can burn gasoline, but put jet fuel in a gasoline piston engine, and soon you're going to suddenly find yourself flying a glider, if you manage to make it off the ground
Not a pilot, but it's my understanding that it's illegal to put "turbo" graphics on aircraft with turbocharged piston engines, just in case someone sees it and assumes that it refers to a turboprop engine, and fills it with jet fuel.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I didn't get as far as even attempting to fit the pump nozzle, but was thrown by nozzle colors at a local station yesterday.

The 7-11 near my work has a (Cenex?) gas station attached, and their PUG nozzle is green. I'd only seen them out of the corner of my eye while getting food on my way home a few days earlier and thought that I'd have to check their D2 pricing the next time I filled up.

Come yesterday and a nearly empty tank, and I'm glad for having seen these stories off and on over the years, and the attention to detail that they encourage.

Palladin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI w DSG
This color coding confusion is not just a North America issue. I found this especially troublesome in Switzerland a few years ago. Not only are the pump handle colors randomly applied but they also use unfamiliar Swiss names for the different products which makes it very treacherous to navigate and get the right stuff in the tank.