18x8 Interlagos OEM rims with 235/40/18 tires - WILL THEY FIT MY 2011 Golf TDI OR NOT

mxulive

TDI
White 2011 Golf TDI DSG
I am about to make a purchase of a set of 18" Interlagos (offset 41) with 235/40/18 tires to replace my 205/55/16 stock wheels on my 2011 Canadian Golf TDI. However I am getting conflicting information about whether they will fit or not. The seller of the wheels tells me without a doubt they will fit. One VW dealer told me it will not fit and two other VW dealers told me they have no idea until they try to put it on (after I pay them $120 to have the wheels mounted and balanced, that is).

At this point, I seriously have no idea who I can trust and would like a definite answer as to whether they will fit or not, on the stock suspension.

My question is pretty simple (but would appreciate input if it's more complicated): will 235/40/18 wheels fit my 2011 Golf TDI on stock suspension?

Bob Sacamano

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
235's are kinda wide, but on stock suspension i don't see why they wouldn't work

having said that, if you go lower at all, no guarantees.

i run 215's on koni coils with my interlagos

but i'm considerably lower.

Dirty Fall by -BIRD, on Flickr

Last edited:

mxulive

TDI
White 2011 Golf TDI DSG
I have no plans to lower my car. It seems that the overall size of the tires will be similar to my 16" (just lower profile). So it won't really make the ride height any different, right? I hope it doesn't end up making my car look like a minivan lol (if anyone has any pictures of stock TDI's riding on 18" it would be appreciated as well).

mxulive

TDI
White 2011 Golf TDI DSG
Thanks for the reply everyone!

Timu - in the link you posted, the guy has the exact same specs as I'm about to buy (18x8, 235/40/18). However, he mentioned that "front and rear have rubbed a bit". Is he on the stock suspension? Will it rub when I have the wheels with the stock suspension if I don't modify it somehow?

I'm not too savvy when it comes to cars (this is my first one). I would like the new wheels but I don't want to adjust the stock suspension at all.

Also, for those of you wondering why I don't just get 225/40/18, it's because I found a REALLY good deal on a set of new Continental ExtremeContact DWS, so I want to use the 235/40/18 if at all possible.

According to wheel size calculator the 235/40/18 are only about 0.5" more in diameter compared to my stock 205/55/16... will that difference cause the wheels to rub? Can someone double-check with another calculator perhaps?

Timujin

Veteran Member
TDI
14 T-Reg
Yeah the guy in the other link is me. Yep, similar setup except I was running the OE equip tires which are Conti Seal run flats and quite bloated IMO. You will rub. Maybe only the sidewalls slightly in certain conditions, but they will rub. The VW suspensions limiters helped 70%, but they still rubbed the plastic fender liner. If you drive slow over dips and don't load your car full of people/weight you will be ok most of the time.

Thanks for the reply everyone!

Timu - in the link you posted, the guy has the exact same specs as I'm about to buy (18x8, 235/40/18). However, he mentioned that "front and rear have rubbed a bit". Is he on the stock suspension? Will it rub when I have the wheels with the stock suspension if I don't modify it somehow?

I'm not too savvy when it comes to cars (this is my first one). I would like the new wheels but I don't want to adjust the stock suspension at all.

Also, for those of you wondering why I don't just get 225/40/18, it's because I found a REALLY good deal on a set of new Continental ExtremeContact DWS, so I want to use the 235/40/18 if at all possible.

According to wheel size calculator the 235/40/18 are only about 0.5" more in diameter compared to my stock 205/55/16... will that difference cause the wheels to rub? Can someone double-check with another calculator perhaps?

mxulive

TDI
White 2011 Golf TDI DSG
Oh, that was you! It's just that the 235/40/18 is only half an inch larger than the 205/55/16... and this is already enough to cause rubbing with the stock suspension? (BTW, what is rubbing? I'm just assuming it's when the inside fender comes into contact with the top of the wheel during driving). Does this mean that the 235/40/18 will not work and I'll need to hunt down a set of 225/40/18s?

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
yes they will fit. You must be buying the wheels from the guy in Caledonia Rd.

I have a set on my 2011 Jetta. The wheels are actually from Passat CC's hence why they have the 235's on them.

As for rubbing, my car is not lowered, but if i go over huge humps on highway speeds they will rub for a sec. I'm planning on changing the tires once they are gone. Other issue would be the mud it spreads on the sides bc they are just a bit wide.

for the price he is selling them i think they are a great buy.

if you like come to toronto to try them on your car before getting the other set. they are already off of my car.

Last edited:

mxulive

TDI
White 2011 Golf TDI DSG
yes they will fit. You must be buying the wheels from the guy in Caledonia Rd.

I have a set on my 2011 Jetta. The wheels are actually from Passat CC's hence why they have the 235's on them.

As for rubbing, my car is not lowered, but if i go over huge humps on highway speeds they will rub for a sec. I'm planning on changing the tires once they are gone. Other issue would be the mud it spreads on the sides bc they are just a bit wide.

for the price he is selling them i think they are a great buy.

if you like come to toronto to try them on your car before getting the other set. they are already off of my car.
Thanks for the reply! I guess you have your winter wheels on for the time being? When you had the Interlagos on, did you notice any rubbing when you turned the steering wheel all the way? My dealership told me that because of the different offset, the brakes might rub... although they're not sure but willing to give it a try (they'll only charge me if they fit).

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
Thanks for the reply! I guess you have your winter wheels on for the time being? When you had the Interlagos on, did you notice any rubbing when you turned the steering wheel all the way? My dealership told me that because of the different offset, the brakes might rub... although they're not sure but willing to give it a try (they'll only charge me if they fit).
they dont rub on anything. as i said if you want you can come and try it on and see if they rub on brakes.

TDI
2011 Golf Wagon, 116000 KM
Hey mxulive, did you end up buying the 18'' Interlagos?

Im in the same situation. Stock Canadian 2011 TDI golf wagon currently on 205/55r16. Looking at purchasing a set of 18'' Interlagos. Waiting on the seller to tell me exactly what tires on the rims.

Best,
Marc

evantful

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2016 Golf SE TSI
Hey Marc,

I have a Jetta/Golf Sportwagen and I run Interlago replicas 18x8 with ET45 offset with 235/40/18 tires. My JSW is stock suspension and I have virtually no rubbing.
The only time I have had ever had it rub quickly in the front was during a full suspension travel going over an intersection crown at high speed.

My car does not have the fender screw mod done or any kind of fender lip rolling. I absolutely love the 235 tire size. The slight increase in wall height fills out the wheel gaps nicely, and 235 on a 8in wheel looks great