TDI Golf won't start

dieseldubs

TDI
golf 2001 indigo
TDI Golf won\'t start

I can't get my 2001 TDI Golf to start. It seems to crank fine, but won't turn over. When I ran a scanner on it, I kept getting "Link Error" and couldn't make connection.

A week ago, the car stalled out while driving normally at 35 mph. After sitting for a moment (and fidgeting with the fuel filter), it started up again. I'm running 100% biodiesel in it, so I figured the fuel filter was clogging. I changed it back in April, but the car sat for a month this summer while I was in Mexico, and regular diesel was in the tank, so I figured that the full tank of biod that I just put in could have something to do with it. About a week later, the car just won't start, so I finally replace the filter. I primed the filter, there's fuel in the line, but still it won't turn over. The air filter is fine, as is the battery. The crank sounds normal.

Any ideas? Or do I just tow it to the shop now?

Thanks,

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
TDI Golf won\'t start

I can't get my 2001 TDI Golf to start. It seems to crank fine, but won't turn over. When I ran a scanner on it, I kept getting "Link Error" and couldn't make connection.
You did have the key on when you tried this, didn't you? If not that is the cause of the link error. If you had the key on and get this then either there is a wiring problem ( non-factory radio installed incorrectly or other such problem) or the ECU is not being powered or is shot. Lack of power to the ECU could be a blown fuse, bad relay 109 or wiring problem.

A week ago, the car stalled out while driving normally at 35 mph. After sitting for a moment (and fidgeting with the fuel filter), it started up again. I'm running 100% biodiesel in it, so I figured the fuel filter was clogging. I changed it back in April, but the car sat for a month this summer while I was in Mexico, and regular diesel was in the tank, so I figured that the full tank of biod that I just put in could have something to do with it. About a week later, the car just won't start, so I finally replace the filter. I primed the filter, there's fuel in the line, but still it won't turn over. The air filter is fine, as is the battery. The crank sounds normal.
If you replaced the fuel filter you might have lost prime of the injection pump. Try slightly loosening the injector line nuts and having someone else crank the car. When they start to ooze fuel tighten them and you should be in business.

TWSTDVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2k Golf GlS
TDI Golf won\'t start

You did have the key on when you tried this, didn't you? If not that is the cause of the link error. If you had the key on and get this then either there is a wiring problem ( non-factory radio installed incorrectly or other such problem) or the ECU is not being powered or is shot. Lack of power to the ECU could be a blown fuse, bad relay 109 or wiring problem.
I'm trying to help Josh solve his problem. Key was in the position before ignition and vag tool got the link error. He has a factory head unit, so I was thinking that the ECU was f-ing up. We will check relay 109. Any other electrical tests we can run?

If you replaced the fuel filter you might have lost prime of the injection pump. Try slightly loosening the injector line nuts and having someone else crank the car. When they start to ooze fuel tighten them and you should be in business.

More details please, we don't have Bentley.

Thanks all.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
Re: TDI Golf won\'t start

Usual sign of a Relay 109 failure is the glowplug light will not light at all when the key is turned on, as opposed to lighting for only a second or so at this time of year, and a no start situation if you try to crank it. The lack of a glowplug light indicates the ECU is not being powered which would be consistant with your link error as well. Relay 109 is a $20 or so part at a dealer, so this is a cheap fix if it is the problem.

A blown fuse could also cause this problem, perhaps someone with a Bentley handy can tell you which one to check. Beyond this you might want to consider getting in touch with car54 or tditech, who are NorVA locals who deal with TDIs.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green

about loosing prime on the pump. You loosen the nuts on top of the injectors where the fuel line pipe goes in. Throw a towel around it so fuel doesn't go everywhere. Have someone crank and stop when it squirts. Then tighten the nuts back up.

dieseldubs

TDI
golf 2001 indigo

I just replaced the relay 109 and she started right up!

Thanks for all your help!