www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old December 5th, 2016, 11:37   #16
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBellantone View Post
k1xv: i need to respectfully disagree...
Feel free to be respectfully incorrect. The problem with the offer letters is that they're based on an assumption that you'll turn in the car at some particular time, with some particular mileage, and neither of those is stated. So far, the examples that have been given of discrepancies between the offer and the tables/calculators have resulted from issues with mileage adjustments, though there can also be issues with misreading the equipment adjustments.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW, 2013 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Jetta Sedan, 2015 Audi A3
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 11:38   #17
k1xv
Veteran Member

Quote:
sorry for multiple posts but to continue with "K1xv"'s comment of "So I would only complain if the payment figure at the turn in disagrees with the calculator."

If you show up for your appointment for the buyback, with your signed and notarized paperwork, do you expect that you will be handed more money than what is stated in the paperwork? If they don't hand you what your calculator says at the turnover and it's $850 less, as mine says, what is your recourse?

Perhaps i'm confused.

Their offer, is, well, their offer.
I believe if that were to happen, they call a "higher authority" supervisor to try to get a resolution. If there is no resolution, or the resolution is not to your satisfaction, I think I would take back my keys and title, not complete the sell back that day, go home, try to get the right figure resolved through class counsel, and then, if things seemed to be straightened out, reschedule.

I do not recall anyone so far being paid less than the settlement tables amount, but I can be wrong.

k1xv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 08:05   #18
Redcatcher

Default Joined at the Hip

Just amazing.....my calculation for my 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDi SE model is to the penny of your $840. I see this discrepancy pop up throughout the forum. I have the SE model with auto, power moon-roof, power seat and aluminum tires in the New England area. So naturally I phoned VW in Michigan to try and determine what was causing the difference, obviously in VW's favor. I also used the website calculators and my own Excel spreadsheet based off the settlement PDFs and in all instances confirmed the higher amount. The VW rep indicated that the amount was what the VW "auditors" came up with, the amount was non-negotiable but he would have someone higher up the food chain call me.....yes you guessed it, crickets. In my calculation, I used the standard gas mileage amount of $1950 based upon 22000 miles as of January. What I found amusing was that the "auditors" also managed to compute a different loan settlement amount (also in VW's favor) despite the fact that the loan is with VW Finance. You would think that the right hand would know what the left hand is doing....I guess not. If I wait another month or so and minimize the mileage, I believe that I will benefit from a higher mileage amount of $2460 rather than the $1950. But given the above, who knows. Obviously I am not signing or notarizing any offer sheet until this discrepancy is resolved. An acquaintance of mine sells VW's on the left coast and he has numerous stories of folks trying to drop off their TDi's and going postal when the poor sales reps cannot help them. Supposedly there is a VW Ambassador assigned by VW Corporate to work at each dealership and assist in the handover but they are like Sgt. Schultz: they see nothing, hear nothing, know nothing when it comes to dealing with the dealership sales folks so needless to say there is a little agida floating around on the sales floor. Not a good view in my opinion and I could see where this fire drill could sour one on ever purchasing another VW vehicle. I will adopt a wait and see attitude since I am in no hurry. I will continue to monitor the forum as to the latest and greatest updates but will not hold my breath from the bunker in Auburn Hills, Michigan.
Redcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 15:30   #19
DanB36
Veteran Member

Paragraphs would really help people read and understand your post.

A couple of points, though:
  1. Your car doesn't have power seats--power recline doesn't get the value add for power seats.
  2. Alloy wheels are not a value add on a JSW, only on the Jetta "value edition" sedan.
  3. The rest of the discrepancy you're seeing (if any is left) is likely from a different assumption about mileage and turn-in date than what you're making.
Your actual payment at turn-in will be based on the actual appropriate value adjustments for the factory-installed equipment on your car, the mileage at turn-in, and the date of turn-in. It may be more than you offer letter says, or it may be less, depending mostly on mileage adjustments.

Edit: And yes, it would be helpful if the offer letter broke out how they arrived at the numbers they used--what equipment they based the value on, what mileage they assumed, and when they assumed the car would be returned. The most recent letter I got is slightly better in that regard than the first one, but they could still improve a lot in this regard.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW, 2013 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Jetta Sedan, 2015 Audi A3

Last edited by DanB36; January 14th, 2017 at 15:32.
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 19:09   #20
PacCoastFwy923
Veteran Member

The offer letter is pretty clear: "Estimated Amount VW will pay you / the actual amount VW will pay you may differ..."

Don't let that be a reason to drag your feet returning the letter. Everyone seems to be getting paid accurately per the settlement tables, based on the year, options, mileage, and turn-in month.
Old January 14th, 2017, 19:22   #21
dmarsingill
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34.5 mpg 135000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacCoastFwy923 View Post
The offer letter is pretty clear: "Estimated Amount VW will pay you / the actual amount VW will pay you may differ..."

Don't let that be a reason to drag your feet returning the letter. Everyone seems to be getting paid accurately per the settlement tables, based on the year, options, mileage, and turn-in month.
Exactly.......and mine was more. The restitution was bumped up. This was addressed on another post.

Donald
dmarsingill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 19:24   #22
CT_White_SRT
Veteran Member

DanB36 seems to be always on point.
I think it is only for people with 15s like PacCoastFwy923 and I that have different numbers from calculator (and yes, I am referring to final buyback nunbers, not offer letter).

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
CT_White_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 19:45   #23
PacCoastFwy923
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_White_SRT View Post
I think it is only for people with 15s like PacCoastFwy923 and I that have different numbers from calculator (and yes, I am referring to final buyback nunbers, not offer letter).
Yeah, except that for some reason our Passat didn't have that *estimated - check back in July disclaimer that your Golf, the Audi A3, and some of the other 2015 models had. No idea why.
Old January 16th, 2017, 14:04   #24
Redcatcher

Dan, thank you very much for clarification......when I back out the power seat and alloy wheels (total amount of $840), it then does tie out to the VW buyback amount knowing that mileage and loan payoff numbers will change.

Who would have known that power incline is NOT a power seat.

Appreciate your setting me back on the straight and narrow. The settlement PDFs are not clear on those 2 options and the VW offer document just provides the 2 amounts (vehicle return and additional restitution) without any detail as to how they arrived at those numbers.

Again, thank you.
Redcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 16:08   #25
k1xv
Veteran Member

Quote:
k1xv: i need to respectfully disagree... The offer letter, if accepted by you is what you are signing and notarizing. Saying the letter is irrelevant would be irresponsible and making you liable to be laughed at that utterance if said outloud. How could it be irrelevant?
It says right in the letter that it is subject to further adjustment. If you accept the offer, you also accept this provision. There is no reason to give an owner turning in a car anything more, or less, than what is specified in the Settlement.

k1xv is offline   Reply With Quote