Would you buy a mk6 TDI?

Frankenstivan

TDI
05 mk4
I am looking at a '12 golf TDI, but recently found out about the HFPF issues and it's giving me cold feet. Am I overreacting?

This would be my 4th TDI, I am aware of the maintenance and upkeep of these cars, my DD is a mk4 TDI, my spouse drove a mk5 TDI ( Dsg went out at 300k) had a mk6 good that was totaled by my father with 90k on the clock. It never made it to pump failure. I honestly did not know about the issue until recently.

With the mk5 out of commission I need something soon, should I be looking at a mk7 inserted?
Please advise guys. Thanks.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think the frequency of HPFP failures is not as bad as you'd think. I've hardly seen any, and I service these cars every day. There are a half dozen other things that are far more likely to be problematic from my experience.

If you get one of the "fixed" ones, a lot of that will be warranted for a pretty long time. Although if you can find one, a "new" 2015 may be an even better deal.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
The 12s were mostly fixed of the HPFP issues anyway, by then they were on like the 4th iteration of the HPFP. I would not hesitate to by a 12 or newer Golf TDI, they are great fun and return excellent fuel economy for the power you get.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
I just bought an '10 that has been "fixed" so it has the warranty. When that expires, I am hoping I am in a position to have Andrew set me up with his CP3 kit. If I know where we might settle down, I might also make it less EPA compliant... ;-)

But I am curious to learn of what problematic areas I should be aware of.

Frankenstivan

TDI
05 mk4
Thank you guys For responding, I really appreciate it. I was unaware of the extended warranty, and if you wouldn't not have pointed it out I don't think I would have felt comfortable getting one.. I am going to pull the trigger on it and keep it on a additive diet. I'm pretty religious when it comes to maintenance and I already fuel with additives on my other TDI's so it's no big deal or change of routine.

I am also interested to learn about the other problematic issues I may run into. I would rather be proactive and address those issues.

Again thanks for everything. All the best.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The most common things I have seen with the CBEA/CJAA engines:

turbocharger failure

DPF cracking (manifested as a clogged low pressure EGR pipe, which causes an EGR flow DTC... there is a TSB for this)

EGR and DPF pressure sensor failure

cylinder pressure sensor DTCs (part of the glow plug, but sometimes it is a wiring problem... TSB for this too)

Intercooler icing (yes, a TSB and updated cold weather kit available)

short battery life

Much of this can/will/could be addressed with the "fix", and some can be totally eliminated with a different "fix" ;) The latter fix is more fun, but carries no warranty.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
Thanks Oilhammer! Great to know!

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Initially, yes, I would buy a mk6 TDI again. However, having just experienced an out-of-warrantee HPFP failure on my 2013 Golf TDI, I have second thoughts. The simpler mk4 TDI is starting to sound appealing to me.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Yes. I do have 2micron's kits just in case, but it's been my favorite car so far.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
yeah baby, I'd buy a new one fixed or not. however this time a sport wagon, 'cuz i'm a wagon freak.

mine's fixed. the pump is now VW's problem, like tons of other stuff, and this is probably the last car i need to buy in my remaining lifetime.

Frankenstivan

TDI
05 mk4
Update,

I took home a 2013 golf TDI 6spd with 78k miles. The warranty will take me to the timing belt change and I will replace it along with a fuel pump. I plan on keeping this long term. I did want the xenon lighting package but I could not find one within reach. I ended up with a non sun roof standard model. Interior was well cared for on this one. No scratches or stains. The seats did come with seat warmers which I did not have on my 2010. All in all I am very satisfied with my purchase and my better half feels the same. It's just a great value.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Update,
I took home a 2013 golf TDI 6spd with 78k miles. The warranty will take me to the timing belt change and I will replace it along with a fuel pump. I plan on keeping this long term. I did want the xenon lighting package but I could not find one within reach. I ended up with a non sun roof standard model. Interior was well cared for on this one. No scratches or stains. The seats did come with seat warmers which I did not have on my 2010. All in all I am very satisfied with my purchase and my better half feels the same. It's just a great value.

Congratulations on the purchase!

What are your impressions of the MK6 TDI compared to your MK4 TDI?