Rolling the coal.... Side effects?

niftyg

TDI
N/A
I'm wondering what kind of negative effects rolling coal has on the tdi engine - as in letting the turbo spool down and mashing the gas.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Mashing the accelerator below 2000 rpm is never a good idea. Its hard on the turbo and can lead to compressor surge. If your car is stock and "rolling coal" (even when lugging it then stomping on it) then something is up. They don't smoke much when everything is in order.

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
hid3 said:
How do you take off? How do you switch gears?
Floor accelerator.
Sidestep Clutch.
How else could you?

No, but seriously... is the world really as black and white as you make it out to be?

twentyeight

Veteran Member
TDI
1Z & ALH
hid3 said:
How do you take off? How do you switch gears?
Roll the accelerator on. Even taking off quickly I have problems keeping my wheels stuck to the pavement, so mashing it wouldn't get me anywhere anyway.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
It will also cause EGTs to skyrocket, which is never healty for the head, valves, and turbo.

Black smoke has a lot of soot in it. Soot will eventually clog up you VNT.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Excessive soot will make its way into the oil, possibly decreasing your OCI and/or causing increased wear.

niftyg

TDI
N/A
Well the engine has been freshly rebuilt... metal hg, cranked up injector pump. It'll smoke if I stomp on it at pretty much any rpm if the boost isn't up.

Where should I ideally be on my pyrometer? It goes to 14 tops, and I heard its not good to ride on 12.. I usually average 6-8. Not sure how it's mesaured.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Sounds like it's measuring hundreds of degrees. I hope it's in F and not C.

Garrett VNT turbos you're good to 1650*F (900*C) sustained.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Keeping it one piece!

And potential TDI buyers wonder why they fall apart!:rolleyes:

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
In some areas of the world you can get ticketed or your car can get towed for excessive smoking. I have been behind some pickup trucks that have had crappy tuning boxes that smoke like a coal locomotive, actually worse.