Chicago 2009 TDI Owners: Non-Biodiesel Support Group

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
LMAO! just ask Jimmy if he can supply a copy of either an MSDS or a bill of lading;)

I agree though, to a certain extent. if your TDI runs SIGNIFICANTLY better on his "remium diesel" then I would say we're onto something here:D

it's also a possibility that some places selling "premium diesel" are only simply blending it with bio-diesel, as it increases cetane similar to how additives like Stanadyne and PowerService do

:confused:IIRC, if <5% bio no label is required in Illinois. 6%-20% bio gets the "one-size-fits-all" label, and >20% bio must say what BXX blend it actually is. also, IIRC, B11 is where the $$tax break$$ begins??

totally off-topic: I bought some B99 today @ $3.07 X 4 gallons and I got a copy of the MSDS... 50.8 cetane:p

I need to scan it and post it in a different thread FWIW:cool:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
PalosParked said:

All kidding aside...Jimmy's is at 260 N Cass Ave(47th and Cass), Westmont, IL. 630-969-2323 Owner (Jimmy of course) said that he has high turnover even at $3.259 per gallon.
Filled up here once a few years ago when I was much less familiar with the burbs. Was rolling down Ogden Ave in my MkIV going west and stopped everywhere but nobody sold diesel. A guy told me to head down Cass and someone sold diesel. The light had been on for a LONG time and I was desperate. Paid their gorilla prices for about 3 gallons and went home. I now avoid this place like the plague on principal alone.

I guess the only guy selling water in the desert can charge what he wishes though :)

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
That's good, because in the past the one at Ogden and Main has had good prices, I think due to the Speedway down the street. For those just passing through, you can go down Highland Ave which turns into Main around Ogden.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Correction to post #40 from a while back-I stopped at the Shell at 83 and Higgins, and now the pump does have a sticker stating the fuel contains bio from 5-20%. Ah well. Wound up heading down the road to JAM trucking to fuel up instead.

PalosParked

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW Black/Black, DSG, Panoramic Sunroof
Jetta09, While you're editing please add:
Worth
Worth Marathon
(Woodstock Petroleum)
11501 S HARLEM AVE
WORTH, IL 60482
708-671-1791

Manager confirmed D2 current price $2.659 @6/13/09
Thanks

PalosParked

Veteran Member
TDI
Chicagoland D2 service stations, requested list from Chicagoland Distributor

Hey guys,

I just realized that I had not asked Texor Petroleum, http://www.texor.com/index.html if they could give us a list of greater Chicagoland service stations to which they distribute D2. Arnie at Texor was one of the people who helped me to understand diesel winterization and gave me Fullers in Hinsdale and Marathon in Markam. He's willing to help us. Arnie said he'd put together a list of D2 stations for us. Just give him a couple of weeks.

Guess what? ..Just like every other industry now-a-days, there is some consolidation going on in the Chicagoland wholesale fuel distribution industry.... They (Texor) now service the Marathon listed in Worth (above). There's now one less petroleum distributor. Seems Texor, like Atlas, is buying.

FYI - Diesel (and RUG) prices are going up. If you find a service station with low price, fill 'er up before they get their next delivery.

CornfieldCraig

TDI
09 Jetta 6-spd manual
This study examined the use of B5 and B20 blends with a DPF in a CR engine. It's very interesting, if very scientific: http://www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels/npbf/pdfs/40015.pdf

I'm not a scientist, so I may be misinterpreting the results, but as I read it, the Diesel Particulate Filter actually performed better with biodiesel blends than with petrodiesel, as it reached a "Balance Point" (DPF inlet temperature at which the rate of particle oxidation approximately equals the rate of particle collection") at a significantly lower temperature and burned away particulates at a faster rate as well.

My main concern with biodiesel blends in my 2009 has been the DPF, but maybe that's misplaced. It could be that the real concern is the oil dilution, related acids, and the resulting corrosion. If so, then maybe this new oil additive from Chevron is the solution, or maybe we Illinoisans need to plan to change our oil more frequently.

I don't think this took into consideration the effects of ambient temperature, so I wonder how winter weather might affect the DPF performance results.

Has anyone found the Chevron Lubricating Oil Additive in stores or online?

CornfieldCraig

TDI
09 Jetta 6-spd manual
UPDATED 7/2/2009

Feece Oil in Batavia, Minooka, and Ottawa has 100% petrodiesel (not correct...see below). The price today is $2.65/gal, which is the same price I paid today at Meijer in Aurora. The pumps are open 24x7. This is a great family-run operation. Very nice people. Ironically, I used to go there to buy biodiesel when I couldn't get it elsewhere.

1700 Hubbard Drive, Batavia (B1 or B11, depending upon the time of year)
517 Twin Rail Drive, Minooka (B1 and B11)
701 Hitt Street (Route 71), Ottawa (no retail pumps)

The phone number for all three is 888.879.1911.

CORRECTION: Apparently, the person I spoke to the first time wasn't completely well-informed. Sorry about the misinformation.

Feece sells both B1 and B11, but no straight petrodiesel from their retail pumps.

Last edited:

BTL

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 PGM Jetta TDI Premium DSG
Joliet/Romeoville/Crest Hill Area....Weber Road and Renwick Road.

Phillips 66 Diesel Pumps are labeled as ULSD, no mention of Bio Blend. Now, I know this does not ensure it is petro, but I wanted to mention it. Perhaps someone can confirm?

BTL

Veteran Member
TDI
One more...Rt. 34 and Orchard Road in Montgomery/Oswego. Mobil. New station, well-maintained. Did not have a chance to talk to the staff, but ULSD label, no mention of BD blend.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
If anyone gets up to the border area, the BP station in Genoa City, WI, just off Hwy 12 has posted right on their sign they have no biofuel in their diesel.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
N8116B said:
I did not see this one listed yet.

Thornton's
Cary, IL
800 NW Hwy
At the corner of NW Hwy and Three Oaks Road.
They carry ULSD

2 pumps, one on each end of all the islands and it is the smaller nozzle that fits into the Jetta filler just fine.
I get fuel from there all the time and it's always been B11. Did they change to straight petro?

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
BTL said:
One more...Rt. 34 and Orchard Road in Montgomery/Oswego. Mobil. New station, well-maintained. Did not have a chance to talk to the staff, but ULSD label, no mention of BD blend.
That station has straight diesel and so does the BP accross the steet.

BTL

Veteran Member
TDI
A couple of things here...

My feeling, or guess, is that a low BD blend like B11 could be used if you changed the oil at say, 5k miles, thus neutralizing the oil dilution issue. thoughts?

Feece says they also sell "Highway Diesel," which doesn't say anything about BD blend. Anyone used this fuel and is it truly low BD?

N8116B

TDI
2009 Jetta
jcrews said:
I'll look today, but the pump has had a sticker "this fuel contains biodiesel 5-20%"
That would be great. maybe I just missed seeing that sticker. I work just down the street from their and it would be very convenient for me to fill up at that station.

BTW do you know if the independent station on Rt14 by the Wendy's and Colfax Rd is petro ULSD? His signs on the pump just said low sulfer diesel.

PalosParked

Veteran Member
TDI
Highway diesel

BTL said:
A couple of things here...
Feece says they also sell "Highway Diesel," which doesn't say anything about BD blend. Anyone used this fuel and is it truly low BD?
There are a lot of terms that people use. Some of which can be misleading to us. Pretty much the term "Highway Diesel" means that the fuel is taxed for street use as opposed to the (dyed) farm use diesel which is not taxed the same.
So, the "Highway Diesel" could either be straight diesel or a bio blended diesel. The distributors I've spoken with use the terms "diesel" and "bio blended diesel" for automotive use. When we go to a new service station, we need to hope that the pumps are properly marked, the service station attendants are knowledgeable, +/or we need to verify with their distributor or delivery paperwork if we feel the need to question further.
BTW..It's not the end of the world if you take a tank of B11. It will be diluted by the diesel already in your tank. If concerned, drive a little and top off with diesel again to dilute the bioblend further. From what I can tell, the bio fuel is more expensive than the diesel. As a result, If they are going for profit, then they will put in as little Bio as possible to get over the 10% rule and receive the sales tax exemption. .....so IMHO you're probably not getting any B20 from a pump labeled bioblended diesel 6 to 20%.
And I don't think anyone is actually producing bioblend diesel 5% or less for regular use..(probably special order)..it's just that there could be small residuals of bio left in the transport truck or pipeline. So <5% covers all the bases.

Last edited:

BTL

Veteran Member
TDI
Got a VERY fast response from Feece..

Hello Brett

Below is a submission that we got from our web site from you earlier. I am happy to say that we have B1 & B11 available at our retail pumps. We also have B5 available only for delivery in bulk, minimum bulk delivery is 5,000 gallons.
I hope this answers your question & Thank You very much for visiting Feece Oil
Please feel free to contact us again.

Good news...B1 would be nice. Locations are a little from me, even at work, but hey, a source for some of us.

BTL

Veteran Member
TDI
b4black said:
That station has straight diesel and so does the BP accross the steet.
Just curious...have you talked to staff there or verified another way?

The stupid Mobil on 55 and rt. 30 in Joliet has bio stickers, which is why I am asking.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
N8116B said:
That would be great. maybe I just missed seeing that sticker. I work just down the street from their and it would be very convenient for me to fill up at that station.

BTW do you know if the independent station on Rt14 by the Wendy's and Colfax Rd is petro ULSD? His signs on the pump just said low sulfer diesel.
I haven't been to HP sprinter in 5 years. I just confirmed with the station operator at Thornton that they discontinued B11. The stickers are no longer there too.

BTL

Veteran Member
TDI
They just redid the pumps at my throntons, and there are not any bio stickers. Perhaps they are shifting away from bio?

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
All Thorntons are? That would be excellent news as I always got great mileage with the fuel from the one at York and Devon. I wonder if the tide is turning against biofuels? A lot of people complained it led to higher fuel prices, so it may be politically correct not to not use bio (diesel, E85 etc.)

Jetta09Chicago

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
VWoA Response RE Oronite Lubricating Oil Additive

This is a follow-up to my Post #60 regarding the new Oronite Lubricating Oil Additive (OLOA) as a potential solution to biodiesel effects. I contacted Volkswagen of America, and here is their response, which I received on June 12:

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding your interest our 2009 Jetta TDI and the current diesel options available on the market. I understand you are seeking to know if Volkswagen has researched the use of a lubricating oil additive in our cars. Our TDI technology has generated a lot of interest in diesel energy, and I am happy to respond to your question.

"Please know Volkswagen is always looking for ways to improve upon our already efficient, reliable, and enjoyable vehicles. With this in mind, I regret I do not have details on the specifics of the research that is being conducted by our engineers. Please know, however, at this time, we do not recommend the use of additives in the fuels or oils that go into our cars. I hope this information is helpful, and again, I am thankful you took the time to contact us.

"As a member of the Volkswagen family, your questions are important to us. Again, thank you for your e-mail. If I may be of future assistance regarding this, or any other matter, please don’t hesitate to contact me again by e-mail at www.vw.com, or through our Customer CARE Center at (800) 822-8987. If I am not available one of my colleagues will be able to assist you."

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Sincerely,[/FONT]

Daniel Rogers
Ext. 43372
Customer CARE Advocate

N8116B

TDI
2009 Jetta
Jetta09Chicago said:
This is a follow-up to my Post #60 regarding the new Oronite Lubricating Oil Additive (OLOA) as a potential solution to biodiesel effects. I contacted Volkswagen of America, and here is their response, which I received on June 12:

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding your interest our 2009 Jetta TDI and the current diesel options available on the market. I understand you are seeking to know if Volkswagen has researched the use of a lubricating oil additive in our cars. Our TDI technology has generated a lot of interest in diesel energy, and I am happy to respond to your question.

"Please know Volkswagen is always looking for ways to improve upon our already efficient, reliable, and enjoyable vehicles. With this in mind, I regret I do not have details on the specifics of the research that is being conducted by our engineers. Please know, however, at this time, we do not recommend the use of additives in the fuels or oils that go into our cars. I hope this information is helpful, and again, I am thankful you took the time to contact us.

"As a member of the Volkswagen family, your questions are important to us. Again, thank you for your e-mail. If I may be of future assistance regarding this, or any other matter, please don’t hesitate to contact me again by e-mail at www.vw.com, or through our Customer CARE Center at (800) 822-8987. If I am not available one of my colleagues will be able to assist you."

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Sincerely,[/font]

Daniel Rogers
Ext. 43372
Customer CARE Advocate
That is a pretty long winded answer to saw he knows nothing and is not going to bother trying to find out.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Long winded say nothing answer

That's the VW corporate way! Even worse than politicians.

Dan

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
BTL said:
Just curious...have you talked to staff there or verified another way?

The stupid Mobil on 55 and rt. 30 in Joliet has bio stickers, which is why I am asking.
Most Big Oil stations are franchises, so they all have different owners. The owners choose to use biodiesel or not.

I test the fuel by sticking some in a glass jar and then put it in the refridegator. B11 will have junk fall out in a day or two, straight diesel will remain clean.