Frantz bypass oil filter

Bio Jetta

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
I just installed a bypass oil filter in both my Dodge Cummins and my TDI Jetta, and I thought I should let you guys on the forum know of the results. I've been running Rotella T synthetic oil in both engines for quite a while. Just from the financial standpoint I figure it's cheaper to change a toilet paper filter and top off my oil every three months and then change the oil once a year, than it was costing me to change the oil and filter quarterly.
This is the link to the Frantz oil filter company we are talking about http://www.frantzoil.com/home.htm
and the place you can buy them http://www.wefilterit.com/index.htm . The person I was in contact with was Deborah Walker Harley her e-mail address is DWalkerHarley@wefilterit.com

The kits I ordered came with everything I needed to install them on my truckand car and both kits are completely removable so I can use them on my next car/truck. They are a really high quality made in America product that many people are still using from the 1960s when they were invented, and I can't say enough good about them. My only advice is to get a kit that doesn't require you to puncture the oil pan on your truck (use the oil fill cap or drain plug as the location for the return line) and order plenty of their oil filters (toilet paper rolls) when you place your order so you don't need to pay for shipping a second time when you need more filters.

I am not going to be able to include pictures, because my camera is not working.

Bio Jetta

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
I'm supprised that this hasn't started a bunch of conversation on the subject.
Personally, I'm not worried about particles smaller than what VW sais is ok for our engines (20 microns - I think?). I don't think these engines have a need for extra cleen oil. How many engine failures do you know of due to falty lubrication systems on a TDI? It's common for the engine to out last the rest of the car.
To me, the value in this kind of product is not needing to change my synthetic oil more than once a year. I only drive about 12,000 miles per year, so my maintenance schedule is seasonal and looks like this. Fall - change air filters, oil, oil filter, and TP filter. Winter, Spring and Summer, each season change TP filter and top off oil. At that rate, the TP filter pays for itself in under 2 years - mostly because of the high cost of synthetic oil. The extra cleen oil is just a posative side efect in my opinion. 2 or 10 micron filtration - either one is good in my book.

turbodan62

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI, Rabit TDI
Frantz filter

I;m also thinking of putting a frantz on my 2005/5 tdi, i have been useing the frantz for about 10 years. A company called Stilco had a product about the same ,but folded :p

ppopa

TDI
Gorgeous Jetta PD 2004 5M
I did order two kits for my Jetta PD and Cabrio. Any suggestion regarding puncture location on the oil pan? Is your camera working now? Can we have some pics, please?Any oil sampling results? Thoughts? Thanks

04tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf GLS
These things are surprisingly good filters. You can get em off ebay for next to nothing and the 40 year old ones are just as good as the new ones. In the articles/research I have seen, Scotts toliet paper is the best you can buy for these. I too have a cummins and have seen a good write up about them on there. There are mods you can do to the housing to improve its filtering.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
oh NOoooo tp fiters are back there was a lot of discussion 10 yrs ago about that same thing. There were many motels short of TP then I guess now too..