What did you do to your MKIV today?

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Changed the MAF sensor and cleared the code. While I was in VCDS, decided to turn off the stupid seat belt warning so that when I sit in the car and listen to the radio, I don’t have to have my seat belt on. Of course it’s always on when I drive anyways, don’t need a reminder.

Of course the MAF code came back anyways. Completely puzzled as to the source of the code, gonna get the cat out of the picture soon I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Tinkering on 3 things at one time on my 04. GLI reproduction rear bumper skirt, extending the 3" exhaust through the cutout instead of a turndown and installing the euro hitch. The GLI lower section clears the hitch much better - it actually fits without trimming if the hitch isn't being used - I'll need to trim slightly for the swan neck to fit. If I use the original wiring connector - I'll need to trim more for it to rotate down. Looks like it has the full wiring harness including power.

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
K, just had CEL for MAF but no limp mode. Have a new MAF going in today. MAF code came on after installing a boost sensor and I have checked and cannot see any leaks around it. Also installed the dog collar and all new boost hose seals. Light did not com on until I did all this.

I did see worn cam can cause MAF light to come on. That’s why I was worried a little after seeing your pics. Cam and lifter pucks still look ok, been looking at cam kits already though.

Yeah my cm was pitted pretty bad but I don't know if that was there before or after it grenades.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Yeah my cm was pitted pretty bad but I don't know if that was there before or after it grenades.

He led mine about a month ago and looked like it was ok for a little while longer.

Been slowly fixing and repairing things as the show themselves or I find I should be checking them since I got the car. Everything I do makes it run better. So I have not killed the thing yet!

Garcia

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon
I installed a backup camera with a 5" TFT-LCD mirror monitor screen display and NTSC/PAL video system.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Still chasing an oil leak on the front of my engine, I pulled the Crank Position Sensor and found that I'd smeared the o-ring badly when I replaced the sensor ~20k ago.
Of course it's a THIN o-ring, and none of my kits come anywhere near having one that thin.

I ended up putting a "normal" thickness o-ring behind the collar that centers the sensor in the bore, and it sealed against the block when I installed it, so we'll see if that had anything to do with the oil on the top of the oil pan flange area, and dripping off of the engine.

I'm suspecting that the oil filter housing gasket just didn't seal properly when I replaced it, and have another here to try again if I have to.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Still chasing an oil leak on the front of my engine, I pulled the Crank Position Sensor and found that I'd smeared the o-ring badly when I replaced the sensor ~20k ago.
Of course it's a THIN o-ring, and none of my kits come anywhere near having one that thin.

I ended up putting a "normal" thickness o-ring behind the collar that centers the sensor in the bore, and it sealed against the block when I installed it, so we'll see if that had anything to do with the oil on the top of the oil pan flange area, and dripping off of the engine.

I'm suspecting that the oil filter housing gasket just didn't seal properly when I replaced it, and have another here to try again if I have to.
Haha I can't win with my car and oil leaks. I had a leaky aftermarket valve cover, put a light light smear of RTV under it, that stopped it from leaking down the back of the engine.

Then on my old vac pump, it was leaking, replaced the o-rings, that pump gave out. Then the new vac pump I got with new o-rings, installed that, IT started leaking.

So I pulled it, light smear of rtv on the o ring where the pump meets the head, installed it, good to go from there. But now, I have another leak coming from the vac pump, I can see a mini puddle, and I suspect it's coming from the inner pump o ring.

I'm not dealing with it now though, I'll fix it up next TB job or if I get bored. It's enough to leak a little down the back of the block, but it's not coming down the oil pan, just a bit on the mount down low.

I don't like the design of our vac pump...2 bolts to hold the thing down. I don't over torque it, but it's my suspicion that not having more bolts gives too much uneven clamping and with the temp that thing can get to when it works hard causes it to expand more than the head and the o-ring can't just do it's job anymore.

Edit: Disregard that statement, it's 3 bolts not 2 (was thinking of the bracket that bolts to the pump, not the pump bolts themselves

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Were all the o-rings, seals, etc, made of Viton? If not try to get only Viton ones in the future.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Replaced the old coolant ball that developed a leak at the level sensor. Thankfully I caught it early enough I didn’t suffer from any coolant migration. I didn’t realize realize how yellowed the old one was until it was next to the new one.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I don't like the design of our vac pump...2 bolts to hold the thing down. I don't over torque it, but it's my suspicion that not having more bolts gives too much uneven clamping and with the temp that thing can get to when it works hard causes it to expand more than the head and the o-ring can't just do it's job anymore.
Two bolts? I just did a reseal job on mine back last October, and I am pretty sure I had to pull 3 bolts to get the pump off the head.

I used the seal kit from RKX Tech (https://www.rkxtech.com/products/vw-alh-tdi-vacuum-pump-reseal-kit, ran across a reference to it in another thread here) so I could swap out both seals in one shot rather than doing one then and having to do the other one later. Pump hasn't leaked a drop since.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Two bolts? I just did a reseal job on mine back last October, and I am pretty sure I had to pull 3 bolts to get the pump off the head.
I used the seal kit from RKX Tech (https://www.rkxtech.com/products/vw-alh-tdi-vacuum-pump-reseal-kit, ran across a reference to it in another thread here) so I could swap out both seals in one shot rather than doing one then and having to do the other one later. Pump hasn't leaked a drop since.
Sorry it's 3 you're correct...I was thinking about the vac line bracket that bolts to the pump and was somehow correlating that to the pump bolts.

I've used about 3 of those kits in the last 2 years, between 2 different vacuum pumps and still leaking. I've taken a dial indicator to the head sealing surface and it's flat within .003, which should be great for sealing.

So i don't know what's up, I just don't have luck with vac pumps apparently

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Yeah, that is strange. Pretty sure all I did was wipe the surfaces down with a blue shop towel on mine.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry it's 3 you're correct...I was thinking about the vac line bracket that bolts to the pump and was somehow correlating that to the pump bolts.

I've used about 3 of those kits in the last 2 years, between 2 different vacuum pumps and still leaking. I've taken a dial indicator to the head sealing surface and it's flat within .003, which should be great for sealing.

So i don't know what's up, I just don't have luck with vac pumps apparently

The kit that Rob referenced uses Viton seals; what material seals were the kits you used?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think I mentioned in the post above that I used those kits that were in the link
OK, it wasn't clear you had used that specific RKX kit. If it still leaked, then most likely either the seals were bumped slightly out of position during reassembly/install or the pump mating surfaces were not smooth enough.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
OK, it wasn't clear you had used that specific RKX kit. If it still leaked, then most likely either the seals were bumped slightly out of position during reassembly/install or the pump mating surfaces were not smooth enough.
Seals have been in their place each time I pulled the pump apart (2 different pumps) and all mating surfaces have had a .003" flatness.

Not sure beyond that, luck of the draw or what. I'll let er leak until I decide I can't take it anymore or next TB, whichever comes first

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Hit the finish line on my 2003 Golf fixer-upper.
Came to me with seized turbo and failing 01M, soooo.....
  • Swapped in 5MT with new Luk 17-050 clutch kit
  • Swapped over a set of .186 (manual) injectors that I had lying around
  • Replaced turbo with stock VNT15 (also lying around)
  • Braided SS clutch hydraulic line
  • 160K km Timing belt kit (ContiTech) w. Hepu water pump
  • New Bilstein shocks and struts at all four corners - kept the factory springs, which looked fine
  • Podofo 6" 2DIN Stereo w. Nav and steering wheel controls and backup camera (shockingly good for ~$100)
  • Replaced two blown airbags on the driver's side (seat and side curtain)
  • Glass-lens HID headlights that I built with FX-R projectors
  • 2.5" BuzzKen downpipe (shocking how narrow the stock downpipe is)
  • LED turn and tail/brake lights (way brighter than incandescent)
  • Front steering knuckles and one replacement tie-rod end
  • All the filters in all the places
  • MFA half-height cluster
  • LED DRLs in the L/R bumper grills
  • Nice, pretty shifter
  • Replaced brake pedal with MT pedal
  • Chrome pedal covers
  • And the finale today: wheel alignment
Took it out onto the freeway and ran it up to ***kph to blow the carbon out and see if I tightened all the bolts - ran great! :D

Quite pleased how with how it turned out.

Last edited:

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
  • New Bilstein shocks and struts at all four corners - kept the factory springs, which looked fine
  • Podofo 6" 2DIN Stereo w. Nav and steering wheel controls and backup camera (shockingly good for ~$100)
  • Nice, pretty shifter
  • Chrome pedal covers
Took it out onto the freeway and ran it up to ***kph to blow the carbon out and see if I tightened all the bolts - ran great! :D

Nice work there

I painted the rear cover I found for a sedan with sun shade to add as a benefit in the jetta here soon. And then threw on the gli wheels to run the tires down on those till then they wont get refurbished :p

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
New tires on Stella. Went with Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ in 195/65R15, $426OTD at Costco with road hazard.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
  • Nice, pretty shifter
  • Chrome pedal covers

I love that 2 tone interior, love to find that and swap mine out!

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
So I headed out this morning and my steering didn’t feel right, got really hard to turn so I pulled off and checked things and found my power steering fluid empty. Limped in gently to a station to get something to put in it to get to my destination and it ran straight back out.

Found a hole had been rubbed n the return line going to the resivore. Tracked down a hose I could make work at the pull a part then went and got the correct fluid and got it back on the road.

While working on the steering hose, I found the little boost hose that comes off the SMIC was not fully connected and figured it was the source of my MAF code. So got it snapped in good and cleared the code.

No light, better boost and smoother running now.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Refreshed my 20 year old steering wheel with a stitch on leather wrap, what a pain in the a$$, but worth it in the end.

Some of the crevices in the pic smoothed out once it warmed up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I bought one of those leather wraps years ago; after spending an hour convincing myself I could do it and still only being three stitches in and frustrated beyond belief, my wife asked, "why not just take it to the leather place?"

We live in a small town (pop. 20K) on Vancouver Island....and indeed, we have a place that does leather stitching (catering mostly to motorcycles from the look of the shop).

Best $30 I've ever spent!
(I would've paid them triple that.)

You can see it (this is at least 10yrs. old....with the last three spent sitting in a box in the garage, hence the scuffs), in one of the interior photos of my car a couple posts up.

(Edit: Here's a close-up. Sidenote: airbag not seated yet as I was working out some fault codes with the airbags )