//// Fuel Cooler ////

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi All,

So I ran my question by a friend who is somewhat more book smart than me and this is what we determined ....

11 MM pump with .158 nozzle yields 69.6 ratio and gets factory cooler

10 MM pump with .184 nozzle yields 54.78 ratio and needs no factory cooler

so if the math / concept is correct then ....

An 11 mm pump with .184 nozzles yields a 59.78 ratio and "may" need a cooler

BUT ....

An 11 MM pump with the popular .205 nozzles yields a ratio of 53.61 which is BELOW the thresh hold of 54.35 (the ratio for a 10 MM pump with a .184 stiock nozzle where the factory does not think you need a factory cooler).

So I guess my original thinking that I NEEDED to add a cooler may now show that I don't ?

I suppose one could be added just as a precaution (after all plenty of people add aux tranny coolers to provide an extra safety margin and probably longer tranny life .... I wonder if the same though can be applied to our injection pumps?

I think I feel relieved I may not HAVE to install a cooler BUT I MAY just to provide a little extra safety margin and who knows maybe it will extend pump life ....

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Keep in mind that you are doing a mod (IP + nozzles) that tens of thousands have done already.
Just guessing that none added a cooler to a car that didn't already have one (like mine).
Possible exceptions could be actual racers that were trying it to gain a slight edge.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I added fuel cooler to both of my tdis, daly driver and racer, for what you spend doing it, like $20.00 doing it yourself, I did not need any statistic to get me going, cheap and an insurance, and I live in a moderate climate in summertime, if I were to live in a harsh environment climate I would not"ve even hesitate doing it.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Here are some pics of the cooler on my BEW. Both lines come from above the tank, one is blue and one is black both the same size.

06 Golf BEW