Q5 or Q7?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Haldex is a company (they are Swedish), and they supply lots of vehicles with AWD systems (Volvo, transverse Ford/Jaguar/Rover, to name a few).

You may be right in its basic operation with the ultra quattro, but Haldex did not design or supply it. I've not been underneath anything that I can think of that had it but maybe I did and didn't notice anything different.

I was just under a 2014 A7 3.0T this morning. :p

oilhammer

TDI
Just watched a video on the ultra, looks like they sort of combined the variable clutching for both the front and rear axles. And it looks to be much more dependent on the electronics of the ABS to really work. Also looks to be more akin to the "keep me on the road and in control" variety of AWD systems. Which is probably what most Audi drivers expect.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
ah, thanks for clearing that up..

Did it only have one driveshaft? My Q7 has a center diff w/a front driveshaft going to a front diff, not built into the gearbox.. this is what an Ulta looks like, with just a clutch pack on the rear driveshaft.

oilhammer

TDI
The front "driveshaft" is inside the transmission, runs up the right side to the front differential. The picture looks like the one of the newest gearboxes. For a while the 6sp and 8sp had the front shaft inside a metal tube that could be seen exposed on the right side.

The T'reg/Q7/Cayenne use an old fashioned pickup truck style transfer case, but depending on model year/engine/transmission have some differences (like low range). I think those are Borg Warner supplied.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Yeah as far as i know the B8.5 Q5 up to 2017 still had full torsen but quatro ultra was introduced in the 2018 redesign.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
all I gotta say after experiencing Quattro Ultra is that Quattro Season just got a lot more boring and pedestrian.. im sure it works fine at keeping you from getting stuck in a gutter or your own driveway, which is exactly why most people buy AWD around here.. so while I might buy it for my wife to drive, its not anything I'd want personally..

Ive got neighbors on a culdesac who asked me to come cut donuts in front of their house again every time it snows because their cars have a much easier time getting out afterwords, and plows never hit the culdesacs.. so I happily oblige them, ive became quite good at spinning the Q7 on one wheel and they just smile and wave.. its great, my son loves it on his way to school heh.

Last edited:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Yeah I’m not a big fan of the new generation Q5, but I think the previous gen 2017 and earlier is super. If something happened to mine I can easily imagine replacing it with another, although I haven’t looked around much. Loved my Touareg also.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
I bought my wife a '15 Q5 TDI 2 weeks ago and fell in love with it. I tried getting her to swap for a Q7 but no luck. Ended up getting me one Friday just like hers except a different color. They are both Premium Plus. Hers has 49k and mine has 71k. We have had 2 Touaregs(2004 & 2005). They were gassers but still a great driver's car. The Q5's with the TDI is amazing.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Lots of AWD knowledge in this thread, so here I go with a slightly off topic question. I have a lot of experience with FWD VWs with LSDs in them. I'm interested in playing with an AWD car, specifically a MK6 Golf R. I like the interior, the timing belt and a lot of other things about it. I have only driven one on dry pavement gently and I am wondering if pushing it hard and it understeers, will the back end rotate with the throttle when torque is sent rearward, especially on low grip surfaces? Think getting front wheel spin exiting a tight second gear corner on snow or in the rain. There are also Haldex tunes available that send torque to the rear under braking, any experience with those.

lml999

TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
From where I sit, the Q7 is a fabulous vehicle. Incredibly comfortable over both short and long distances, not overly complicated. Great engine and fuel economy (we've seen as much as 31 mpg). I don't like the Q5 platform as much...but perhaps I just haven't driven the right one yet...

Thinking about eventually replacing my urAllroad with a Cayenne diesel, or just possibly a Q5 diesel. Need to get some seat time in the Q5...if I had to choose today, it would be a CD.
So...an update. Wife is still in the Q7 TDi, we still love it. It's at 165K miles and chugging right along. I've spent a lot more seat time in several Q5 (gas cars) and I would choose the Q7 every day...but I like bigger vehicles. The Q5 is fun to drive, but not nearly as comfortable.

And I sold the urAllroad at 175K miles, bought a Cayenne S to replace it. I was thinking about the CD but the S came along with the right options first.

And...now I'm looking for an A6 TDi as a commuter. :)