Poor starting 1.9 tdi bls code engine

Caddyrage

TDI
Mk3 caddy 1.9tdi bls
I've been having problems with starting my caddy 2k 1.9tdi bls engine when cold or hot.

Glow plug 3 comes up on vagcom as being open.

I'vefollowed the procedure in the tdi 101 section to test a few things.

Glow plugs all read 2.4 using multimeter using ground where the battery connects and the positive on the tips of the plugs.

I then disconnected the coolant sensor to the right of the engine which kick starts the fans when ignition on.

I tested the glow plug wiring loom and only reading approx 2.60 across the 4 which all drop to 0.16

Does this sound like the relay?

Torsion value is set at 0.5
I've watched the rpm on vagcom when cranking and it's good, 290+ as I've read the injectors don't work below 250

Any ideas people ?

Stutgart

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Here's a link to a BLS engine code repair pdf:

http://docs.jayzone.eu/erWin/VW/Jetta%20&%20Golf%20Variant/Workshop%20Manuals/Drive%20Unit/4-cylinder%20diesel%20engine%20with%20unit%20injector.pdf

Section 28 page 276 gives a maximum resistance of 1 ohm for a glowplug. Hold the engine head with one probe of your ohm meter and measure each plugs resistance. If you get one much over 1 ohm, then pull it out and measure directly. If over 1 ohm, disgard and replace per section 28 instructions.

If they all measure 1 ohm or less then the problem is further up the circuit. I don't have a pdf of the electrics.

Caddyrage

TDI
Mk3 caddy 1.9tdi bls
Thanks for your reply and PDF link

What gets me is the van will act the same when warm or literally 10 mins or so after a drive.

Blanking the egr and removing the egr cooler wouldn't affect anything would it?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
It will affect everything.
Get a proper problem diagnosis and don't mess with any components

Caddyrage

TDI
Mk3 caddy 1.9tdi bls
Only fault code on vagcom at the mo is the egr due to me blanking it off. This is rectified when remapping which I plan on doing next month.

I've ordered new glowplugs today anyway

Caddyrage

TDI
Mk3 caddy 1.9tdi bls
Well, I may have a result on the van after all the time spent on sorting the starting problem.

After head scratching and changing parts to no avail, I decided to go down the route of the starter motor drawing in too much power and therefore the ecu not having enough juice to power the injectors.

I stripped the starter off and split it down to inspect inside. Bushes still had life in them so I just cleaned up any signs of dust/crap/corrosion etc with electrical contact cleaner and some 500 sand paper. I also slipped a little high temp grease into the tiny bearing in the end and also a bit in the cogs to keep them from drying out.

Rebuilt up whilst also cleaning the contacts on the leads. I also cleaned the earth strap to ground.

Started on the button 1st time and 3 more times last night with different time gaps in between.

Just popped outside and started on the button again :D