Considering a 2015 Golf TDI 6 speed manual for next commuter

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
Looking at a 2015 6 speed Golf TDI with pleather, no sunroof, alloy rim for my next commuter vehicle.
I've driven a 2006 Jetta TDI 5 speed (Malone Stage 1.5 BRM) pleather, sunroof for the past 5 years, and it currently has 310,000km on it, I've put on almost 170,000km of them...
Considering a Malone tune for this one too if I buy it, flashzilla for reverting back to 'stock' tune should an issue with the powertrain/tranny need addressing by the dealer for dieselgate warranty. Even if I don't have warranty, I am not all that concerned as my daily driver's havent had warranty for the past 12 yrs or so....
I noticed the clutch on the one I test drove was really light... is this normal for the 6 speed manual?
How's the pleather holding up on your vehicle?
It came with this stock radio....Doing some internet surfing, it looks like it should support streaming music by bluetooth.

My fuel mileage research says I should get 5.5L/100km for my style of commuting.... about 80 or 150km roundtrip to work, rural county roads with speeds about 110-120kph, 4 stop signs... no traffic lights.
Anything I should watch for?

Tsquare86

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
If I could have kept my ALH going I probably would have stayed with that for a while longer as a longer distance commuter. With kid on the way and the MKIV looking like death I gave in.

Biggest disappointments: Fuel Mileage (I knew this going into the purchase) at 41mpg freeway. The extended warranty, ECU tracking, resulting in me not tuning it.

Loves: It's new, full of gizmos, started in the cold, and tows my atv like a champ.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
yes, bluetooth streaming is possible.

with modifications, i am seeing between 55-65 MPG's.

light clutch normal.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, right now I'm backtracking a bit and considering keeping it stock, the warranty is too enticing to me...

This is despite both my previous jetta being tuned (Apr 91 on my 2002 1.8T, and the stage 1.5 on my 06 brm)

I will try the vcds throttle response mod if I do purchase this vehicle.... 6 yrs of added warranty based on my driving habits seems too good to give up at this point) and stock it should have similiar torque to my 06 brm.....

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Y
I will try the vcds throttle response mod if I do purchase this vehicle....

Some people report better throttle response after the Phase I which makes me wonder if VW already did the mod to help keep any loss of power from being noticed. My Golf with DSG has no lag at all and will easily squeal the front tires.

The radio is not bad at all and streams Bluetooth easily once set up.

I am new to VW (not counting a Beetle in the old days) and I couldn't be happier with this car, five weeks in and I am still looking for excuses to drive it whenever I can.

Last edited:

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
The one I test drive definitely had a huge flat spot in 1st and 2nd...

I'm hoping to take a rebuilt Audi a4 for a test drive later this week and then decide...

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
I just bought one of these. '15 Golf SE manual w/sunroof, lighting package, etc etc. It's been a wonderful car. I thought for sure I'd miss my '01 Golf a ton, but I haven't even looked at it since I bought this one. I've been getting 41-42 mpg on the two tanks I've used on it. I expect that to go up some. So far, no regrets.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I just bought one of these. '15 Golf SE manual w/sunroof, lighting package, etc etc. It's been a wonderful car. I thought for sure I'd miss my '01 Golf a ton, but I haven't even looked at it since I bought this one. I've been getting 41-42 mpg on the two tanks I've used on it. I expect that to go up some. So far, no regrets.
Funny, I'm doing the opposite. I have a '15 GSW I bought nearly two years ago. Only has 12K on it now, mostly sits. I still drive my ALH Wagon most of the time. Old habits die hard.

michTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and 2015 GSW MT
I have a 2015 GSW CPO, that I have only had for a couple of months. My 2003 A4 Jetta gets better mpg for sure. GSW is bigger and rides better. I don't find that the GSW has very comfortable front seat (probably cuz I am 6'2" and they are made for somebody about 5"5"). Love the automatic lights and rain wipers on the GSW. I also drove a Passat-and kinda wish I had bought that, just for the more roominess in front seat.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I have a 2015 GSW CPO, that I have only had for a couple of months. My 2003 A4 Jetta gets better mpg for sure. GSW is bigger and rides better. I don't find that the GSW has very comfortable front seat (probably cuz I am 6'2" and they are made for somebody about 5"5"). Love the automatic lights and rain wipers on the GSW. I also drove a Passat-and kinda wish I had bought that, just for the more roominess in front seat.
It must depend on where you are folded in half because I am 6'3" and I weigh 240 lbs and the GSW with no sunroof is one of the roomiest and most comfortable passenger cars I have driven. It came up on a search for "cars for tall people" which is what got me looking in the first place. It has more headroom than I had in my Grand Cherokee, my Toyota Highlander and my Infiniti FX35. Only my F-350 is more comfortable but it uses 3 times the fuel and needs a city block to make a U-turn and can't fit in a normal parking spot.

The only complaint I have on the GSW seats is I wish the lumbar support came out just a tad more, and a tad lower. But I can adjust to that with some different pillows I have. Relax the Back has a great, self inflating airplane pillow that you can adjust to any thickness. I am folded in half a bit low though giving me a longer torso with shorter legs than most tall guys, but the GSW works for me, no problems on long drives.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
The only complaint I have on the GSW seats is I wish the lumbar support came out just a tad more, and a tad lower.
The SEL driver's seat has 4-way lumbar (electric) adjustment. Since, like you, I wanted more lumber protrusion and a different height, I swapped in a used set of SEL seats into my SE. The only downside of these is if you are broad in the torso, the narrower, taller side bolsters could keep you from fitting flat against the backrest without being wedged in.