Mileage To Date-How Many Months-Major Issues?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
12,000 miles as of today all good so far.
Dealer said only took 1 bottle of urea (1.89 liters) to fill the tank at 10,000 mile service. I check the level with my vag com when I got home & it was full.
VW dealers only sell DEF (urea) in 2.5 gal (9.4 liters) bottles. Please check your receipt so we can all have an accurate number.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Santa2ya

TDI
None
Picked up 12/27/11
First fuel up (8.19 gallons) 1/11/12.

CEL came on this past Friday (1/13) on the way home. Called dealer, 1st chance to look at it Tue. 1/17 8am. Dropped it off Monday night. This morning (Tue.) at 8:05am get a call from dealer.

Dealer: Mr. Wilson your car is ready!
Me: Already? What cause the CEL?
Dealer: Adblue sensor was sending out a low reading.
Me: Was the adblue low already? It's supposed to last 15k miles & the car only has 300 miles on it!
Dealer: No, the tech said it only took a very small amount, so he reset the CEL.
Me: Is it possible the sensor is bad?
Dealer: We don't know.
Me: You don't know? So you are just going to wait to see if it happens again then check it out?
Dealer: The tech didn't say anything about it.
Me: I will pick it up after work.

If this happens again I will start a new thread if one is not here yet.

poppytdi

TDI
2010 Jetta DSG , 2012 Passat SE DSG,1996 Dodge 3500,2005 GMC envoy XL
I picked my car up from the dealer after hours so I did not talk to anyone.
I had asked them to let me know how much DEF they addded.
Hand writen note said 1 bottle 1.89 liters
Here is the urea part # on the service invoice G-052-910-A2
After 2,000 miles since the service vag com reduction fluid level reads 99.87 % I'm going to check it every 2,000 miles to see how much it does use untill the next service.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Could have been low from the factory, epecially if filled by a person (who ran out and ...)

Santa2ya

TDI
None
Update

1/13 - CEL (check engine light) - Mileage in 313, Out 317.

1/17 - from dealer invoice - "Cause: Gff, Diag, Ran test plans, found codes to be sporadic, found adblue low, topped off fluid, cleared codes retested.

"317 cell light on, sporadic codes P1570, P203B wvw verified cel light, ran 6150 full diagnostic scan, found sporadic codes P1570, P203B. Ran test plan, checked level of adblue, top off, test plan found that the sporadic codes were not occuring at time of diagnostic scan. Cleared codes and roadtested. Returned to find codes did not return."

I have no idea what the codes were but if someone does I would appreciate that knowledge for future reference. I also have a copy of the Diagnosis Log but don't know if that would help. I also spoke with the tech about how much adblue he thought it took to top off. He said he looked in the filler tube & didn't see anything. He stated after just a few seconds the fill tube was full so he is guessing about a pint or so.

lojeff10

TDI
2012 Passat - 6sp MT
5000 miles. I am very happy with the Passat and have had no major issues.

suprnice

TDI
2012 VW Passat DSG TDI
500 miles, the only problem was one time after park and turn off the engine and pull out the key, there is big noise under the hood, like fan spinning fast, or like engine still on, not sure what happens.....restart it and turn off again, the noises are gone.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Interrupted regen
I don't know if it is total coincidence, but I used to have interrupted regens frequently with my 2011 Golf, don't think I have had one with the Passat(Approx 9000 miles now).....same driving pattern/route.

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
18976mi and chime malfunction

At the subject mileage, I've experienced the dashboard chime malfunctioning when I get alerts such as "Ice Conditions" or "low fuel"...gonna have it checked out during my 20k mi service.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
At the subject mileage, I've experienced the dashboard chime malfunctioning when I get alerts such as "Ice Conditions" or "low fuel"...gonna have it checked out during my 20k mi service
How many miles do you have right now? What is the malfunction?

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
18976mi and the "malfunction" is...it doesn't work! I get the written indications and brighter MFD but no chime
Hey, no 39 degree chime, might be better without it, such a useless darn thing.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh...here we go again.
Not at all useless. Next time it "dings" at 39f, I'll get out of my car and take photos of the ice that's beginning to form on the overpasses.
Get over it, Gergg. The engineers/nannies are brilliant!:D

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Oh...here we go again.
Not at all useless. Next time it "dings" at 39f, I'll get out of my car and take photos of the ice that's beginning to form on the overpasses.
Get over it, Gergg. The engineers/nannies are brilliant
Oh, I know, can't figure out when there might be ice on my own, certainly need help there, might as well set off an alarm every 15 minutes to remind me I should be awake while driving too.....It's all good, I can live with the chimes, I'd get it fixed as well;)

k.mojo

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE Manual
Took delivery first week of Nov. 6000 trouble free miles averaging about 42 mpg over the last few thousand miles.

One annoying buzz from driver's rear c pillar, but only at certain highway speeds. Will get it checked at first service. Step dad who is a life long Ford tech rode in it and commented on the large amounts of wind noise from the a-pillars. It bugs me, too, as the car would be darn near silent otherwise. He pointed out that it uses no windshield reveal trim and that the turbulence is from the open channel. Sounds plausible to me. Wonder if I could snap in some off the shelf black trim and solve it??

Otherwise, love driving it and smiling all the way past the fuel pumps!

suprnice

TDI
2012 VW Passat DSG TDI
this is my first TDI, not knowing too much about it, is interrupted regens bad for the car?

I don't know if it is total coincidence, but I used to have interrupted regens frequently with my 2011 Golf, don't think I have had one with the Passat(Approx 9000 miles now).....same driving pattern/route.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
this is my first TDI, not knowing too much about it, is interrupted regens bad for the car?
Not that I know of. I was just commenting on the frequency as it seems like the Passat has fewer regens than the Golf did......which probably makes sense with the different(more efficient?) exhaust/DEF systems.

suprnice

TDI
2012 VW Passat DSG TDI
thanks a lot, when it happens, there are really loud noises under the hood, so I should just leave it and let it run and it should stop after few minutes?
Not that I know of. I was just commenting on the frequency as it seems like the Passat has fewer regens than the Golf did......which probably makes sense with the different(more efficient?) exhaust/DEF systems.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Step dad who is a life long Ford tech rode in it and commented on the large amounts of wind noise from the a-pillars. It bugs me, too, as the car would be darn near silent otherwise. He pointed out that it uses no windshield reveal trim and that the turbulence is from the open channel. Sounds plausible to me. Wonder if I could snap in some off the shelf black trim and solve it?
Or it could just be the mirrors...let us know what you find out.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
thanks a lot, when it happens, there are really loud noises under the hood, so I should just leave it and let it run and it should stop after few minutes?
Yeah, it might run for a while, fans cooling off everything from the regen(hi temp) that was in process.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Or it could just be the mirrors...let us know what you find out
That's what it sounds like to me, it doesn't even get too noticeable until 65+mph, even then it's not bad to my old ears :D

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
While test driving one, all of a sudden we noticed a cyclical thumping sound and vibration when speeding up/slowing down. Pulled over and smelled the brakes. Noticed the right front caliper/pad was glazing lines on the rotor. Limped it back to the the service department. Never found out exactly what it was, but it probably was a caliper sticking or something gimped up with the pad(s).

jumpinjoe

TDI
2012 passat tdi
Just over 4,000 miles and found out the sunroof won't close automatically.I had to hold down the little windscreen that pops up in front, or the glass will hit and and back up as though the pinch protection was stopping it form closing.I'm having the dealer look at it tomorrow.
I was going to run over to the dealer tomorrow when a search on vortex turned up a solution. It's the inside shade being pushed manually all the way back that was stopping the glass from closing. I pulled it back a little bit, and now the sunscreen opens and closes properly.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nothing major, after 3200 miles, but I'm noticing much more brake dust build-up on the FRONT wheels. This is very different than on the Jetta TDIs, where the rear-brake bias is such that the rears wear MUCH more quickly than the fronts.

I'm curious if others have noticed this? VW must have changed the brake bias. Maybe they heard too many complaints about premature rear brake pad wear?

strongtm

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE Black
2300 miles no issues. Received a recall today for a tab in the front seat track. Didn't really read it yet.

1hotdj

TDI
2012 Touareg 3.0 TDI
New ride

Just took delivery 2-2-2012, as above it was ordered by someone who ended up with an Audi. 2012 Passat SEL Premium Candi White DSG. 350 miles and averaging 42 mpg. Riding the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lovin' it!