Selling 2010 JSW -- tips, anyone?

dmitripr

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Hi all!

Unfortunately, due to my job I will be relocating to another country for a couple of years very soon and cannot take my 2010 JSW with me. I love the car, but have to sell. :(

Throughout my time on these forms I've received a lot of good advice, so thanks to all for that!

I need one more -- any recommendations of how/where to sell these JSW for the best price? Or maybe even some one here is interested.

I stopped by CarMax today, they did their thorough check and came back with a "low ball" offer of $18,500 :eek:, but I see these same cars on CarMax (with higher millage) going for $24K+, retail of course. Would VW dealer have a better offer?

Here are my basics:
Bought Aug 2010; 22,500 mi; white-gold color, black leatherette interior; Panoramic roof; mat kit; iPod interface; DSG Auto. All else standard. Used Bio-diesel 5% for practically all fill-ups (if that matters to anyone).

Any suggestions/hints/tips appreciated. Thank you all again!

Fordcougar

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (SOLD)
Its really interesting, I was going to suggest carmax my dad used them for his town-car(15k book, carmax paid 13k) I suppose it depends on demand in area, all I know is our VW dealer only had 1 JSW on the lot, and it wasn't a TDI(they can't keep them on the lot) You might have good luck at the dealer, although I'm not sure how many just buy vehicles.
Of course you will always make more in a private sale, the benefit of carmax/dealer purchase is you don't have to deal with 500 people coming to your house and kicking tires, test driving etc.

OilBurningBrit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
Just entering the info you provided into the online car appraisal tools, it looks like they CarMax was about $1000 under the trade-in number ... about $19,500 is trade-in. I don't know if that's "wiggle room" for you to negotiate up, or if it's because you're selling, not trading. Have you considered just doing a private-party sale? If you're prepared for the hassle of dealing with the public (!) you should get just over $20k.

Best of luck with the overseas gig, and I hope you make out OK with the reluctant sale.

dmitripr

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Its really interesting, I was going to suggest carmax my dad used them for his town-car(15k book, carmax paid 13k) I suppose it depends on demand in area, all I know is our VW dealer only had 1 JSW on the lot, and it wasn't a TDI(they can't keep them on the lot) You might have good luck at the dealer, although I'm not sure how many just buy vehicles.
Of course you will always make more in a private sale, the benefit of carmax/dealer purchase is you don't have to deal with 500 people coming to your house and kicking tires, test driving etc.
Yeah, I hoped CarMax would at least be around 20K -- but it is what it is. Like you said, I'm sure demand/time-on-lot is taken into consideration.

I don't know if taking it to a dealer would be better. I already have an ad on Craigslist, only have a couple of people responding so far, nothing concrete yet. I wish I had 500 people banging on my door to get this car :).

Thanks!

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I would put in on the for sale section here at TDI and maybe VW vortex as well

Yeah, I hoped CarMax would at least be around 20K -- but it is what it is. Like you said, I'm sure demand/time-on-lot is taken into consideration.

I don't know if taking it to a dealer would be better. I already have an ad on Craigslist, only have a couple of people responding so far, nothing concrete yet. I wish I had 500 people banging on my door to get this car :).

Thanks!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I got a snail-mail letter from VW a couple days ago that says:

Demand is higher than ever for used Volkswagen models. In fact, your Jetta could be worth more than you think --
And it invites me to call any VW dealer for an estimate of trade-in value, and gives me the name and contact info for the local dealer I bought the car from.

So you might give your dealer a try.

dmitripr

TDI
2010 JSW TDI

And it invites me to call any VW dealer for an estimate of trade-in value, and gives me the name and contact info for the local dealer I bought the car from.

Thanks! I guess it's worth a drive to check them out.

zeuloa

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen

I would definitely check with your local VW dealers and get bids from them. Besides VW I would check Audi, and also find out who is the largest in used sales in the area (regardless of manufacturer) and check with them as well.

Best of luck on your new assignment!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
VW will only really want "buy" your car, if you want to buy a newer car from them! I bet the dealer will give you the same deal as carmax, but if you were going to buy a new car, they'd come up a bit more.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Knowledgable folks will low ball knowing of the potential problems with these cars.....
That said craigslist sounds like a good Idea....

m_skena

Veteran Member
TDI
Not Any More!
Had mine parked at the local dealership the other day as I was in the parts dept. and came out to find three people looking at my car. Turns out the couple has been waiting 8 months for a TDI JSW in grey or silver. They offered me 20k to buy it right then and there. Sorry, ain't for sale.

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
Put it on Craig's List, mine sold in 2 days, for close to asking.
+1 on Craigslist - It eliminates a lot of the anxiety when you deal locally.

I sold my BMW wagon on Craigslist - and we closed the deal at the buyer's bank - no issue with that cashier's check!

I also had the car on CARS.com - and got a lot of bogus and annoying emails - will never do that again...

VeganTDI

TDI
2012 JSW
Craigslist is the way to go. I sold my 2002 M3 on it about a week ago. Only had it listed for 6 days.

ajkreider

TDI
2011 Golf
Can't hurt to try craigslist. Sold a Passat with no brakes, no AC, and leaked oil, in exactly 7 hours.

But, most of those who haunt craigslist are looking for a deal. And, you're not looking to offer a deal. So, I would temper hopes a bit.

ukjeeper21

TDI
2011 JSW
+1 on Craigslist - It eliminates a lot of the anxiety when you deal locally.
I sold my BMW wagon on Craigslist - and we closed the deal at the buyer's bank - no issue with that cashier's check!
Did the exact same thing. Sold my Jeep Wrangler in 5 days...got full asking price.

dmitripr

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Thanks to all for the tips. Craigslist was the way to go for me. Sold in 2 days to the first buyer that contacted me, paid cash.

I ended up only owning $400 to the bank ... which is not bad considering less than 1.5 years of ownership and $0 downpayment, and for 72 months.

Thanks all again!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Thanks to all for the tips. Craigslist was the way to go for me. Sold in 2 days to the first buyer that contacted me, paid cash.

I ended up only owning $400 to the bank ... which is not bad considering less than 1.5 years of ownership and $0 downpayment, and for 72 months.

Thanks all again!
What'd they pay cash for it? sounds like you had a pretty good "lease program" with you bank, not bad considering you had zero down. I don't think you'd come out as good if you bought a 2.5 gasser either.

dmitripr

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
What'd they pay cash for it? sounds like you had a pretty good "lease program" with you bank, not bad considering you had zero down. I don't think you'd come out as good if you bought a 2.5 gasser either.
Sold for 21,800. I had the 72 month 2.9% deal. At that low rate, that's virtually free money, doesn't make sense to do a down payment.

You're probably right on the 2.5 gasser. I don't think it would hold value as well.