What other cars have you DRIVEN as you consider replacement?

TDI57

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I just had to throw this out there as a thread.

I see a couple of other threads asking about the potential replacement for our TDI's. Seems like lots of ideas floating around, and some are vastly different rides than what we have.

Keep in mind, I am not looking to spend additional money, I am looking for an exact dollar for dollar replacement, of lower only.

For example, I have test DRIVEN in the last three weeks;

2011 Audi A5 S-Line
2011 R
2008 R32
2008 Tacoma
2013 GLI
2015 GTI
2015 Tiguan

All the had have features/qualities I like in my daily, but in the end I come away with the feeling of being addicted to the low end torque and 43 MPG of my 2013 Golf DSG.

Take the Audi for example. It took me at least 90 seconds to figure out how to turn off the radio. I get back into my car and there it is, a simple knob to turn it on and off and adjust the volume. Why the complexity in the Audi? Maybe I am getting old. All the gassers I drove including the VR6 in the R32 does not have the instant torque of my diesel. Then I see 22.3 MPG on the display. Ouch. I would be at the gas station at every 250 miles, vs. 600 now. I really think the TDI is going to be impossible to replace.

I think I am keeping mine, see what the wild card is with the fix and take my 2 years to figure it all out.

So, my question is to all, what have you actually driven as you contemplate your move? How did it feel after driving something different to get back in your TDI?

Ugh.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
2015 Tesla Model S 70D - awesome, but out of our price range (deposit made on a Model 3)
2016 Toyota Prius 2 - I was surprised and impressed by this little car, and I might actually consider a plug-in version
2015 Mercedes-Benz B-class electric - too small, too expensive for what I'm looking for... more of a family car than I want
2013 smart electric drive cabriolet - priced right and it's a hoot to drive; perfect for the daily grind... looking for the right one to show up
2016 Chevrolet Volt - too small in the back seat, but a good car

All of the above make the TDI DSG feel jerky, which is impressive, because I generally regarded the DSG as a very smooth transmission.

Last edited:

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I have owned 15 or so different VW TDI's all makes and models.

I will always own an 05 Passat.

Of all the ones I have owned the 2015 is the most comfortable, it is eligible for the buyback, if indeed I lose it, I will most likely look at MB diesels, no gasser, electric, hybrid or compressed air on the market would make me happy.

Diesels are addictive!

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
..while my JSW is fuel efficient, roomy and - so far - reliable....................

I did test drive a Mazda3 hatch with 6M. Easy shifting, communicative clutch, tight body and a decent ride. Didn't care much for the afterthought computer screen rearing above the dash..................

I also drove an Impreza. The Mazda appealed more.

ez

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
16 Mini hardtop, 3 cyl is very peppy and fun, but probably take days to master all that tech. Wife bought this!

16 Mini Clubman, same tech issues, otherwise roomy and fun, probably want the four cylinder.

I actually really like the golf, just dont drive it enough to justify the diesel.

Also drove a Ford Cmax Energi, no thanks.

Going to test a bmw 128 next.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
No idea really , maybe a volvo v60 gas mileage sucks, made a acura RLX used, honda accord lose the space, I will have to decide what to give up if I turn in my JSW.

LOUDERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 2dr Golf TDI, 6MT
2016 Subaru Crostrek/Impreza- Considering the fact the Crosstrek is a jacked up Impreza it handles surprisingly well for the height. In fact unless your really testing the chassis, it can be hard to find much difference.
2016 Focus ST- Fun ride! but it sucks down premium and I'd feel terrible putting anyone I don't DESPISE in the back seats...
2016 Mazda3/CX3- the 3 is a fantastic little car, no joke about it. The CX-3 seems to loose more of it's poise compared the the regular 3. The Subaru's felt closer together in handling here.

I will say the Mazda 3 is my top choice IF i don't go for a small crossover. Otherwise it's the Crosstrek for me.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Then I see 22.3 MPG on the display. Ouch. I would be at the gas station at every 250 miles, vs. 600 now. I really think the TDI is going to be impossible to replace.
Same for me. I drove a Tiguan tsi all last week. It was nice. the huge moonroof was neat and it was fast but when I saw 25/26 mpg it felt lousy and when I watched the fuel gauge go down so fast I knew that it will be VERY hard to leave my diesels

MBellantone

TDI
2014 Jetta Sport Wagen 6sp Man
Being that a true three pedal manual is a must, i tested a WRX and a Mazda 3 S Grand touring.

I hate trolling though CL / Ebay and the like looking for a manual and finding "floppy paddles" as Jeremy Clarkson calls them, so the pickings are small. (there should be a law against advertising something as a manual when it's not!)

For the money and what you get, the WRX is fantastic. Tons of power, all the latest electronic wizardry etc, I still am not comfortable with the millennial/hooligan persona of the vehicle. I don't want to be pulled over every 5 minutes by local LEO's and have them have me drive off with a specious warning once they see my gray hair. I also don't need all that power accompanied by the premium gas need.

As for the Mazda; It's a FANTASTIC CAR... for the money. It drives nice and for $6,000 less than the Subbie I'm not sure i can do without the european feel of the VW. For as good as the interior is, the drivability and the Mazda reliability I'm not sure i can live with it. I sold a 2012 Outback XT after 6 months because i couldn't take the utilitarian feel. Yes, i regret selling it now, considering.

I'd LOVE a loaded out Golf TSI but I also have to have a sunroof, so out goes the manual transmission.

My wife, kids and friends are really sick of my vocalized quandary as to what to do next!

I'm really confused!

MKVI_TDI

TDI
2012 MKVI Golf
Just drove the 2016 GTI today. It was definitely a nice car. I am going to also look at the Audi A3 Quattro and the Subaru WRX.

WolfsburgGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
MK VI Golf TDI
Test drove the 2016 Honda Civic Ex yesterday. They've improved some areas of quality but others still feel cheap. The CVT transmission was boring to drive. One nice feature is that the EX comes automatically with remote start though. Other than that, didn't thrill me that much. Going to look at the 2016 VW Golf with the TSI engine.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
The only other car I can see that's at all comparable to my JSW is a 328d wagon. If I want the diesel, and I want the small wagon (and I do), that's the only car out there that fits the bill. It's also rather like a snowflake to find; last time I looked there were only 68 used ones for sale nationwide on autotrader.com. And even the least-expensive used ones are more than I'm going to see for a buyback (though there are a couple in the low $30k range that aren't too much higher).

Saturday I drove a 328d sedan at Carmax, who were asking $26k, less that I'll get for the buyback on my JSW. It was very nice. If I didn't have my heart set on keeping a wagon, it'd be a very strong contender.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I won't start shopping until I know what my compensation will be. It will be fuel efficient though and with a lower and shorter note than what I have on my present JSW. I don't believe that low fuel prices are here forever and now that I am retired I want to finally do some long road trips. I haven't driven more than 325 miles from home in 21 years. A seat that doesn't kill my back is a must. No electric chargers everywhere in my part of the country yet so BEV's will have to wait another 10 years or so for me.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
GTI, GTI, GTI...

I honestly can't imagine anything else. Of course it's not a wagen, but I'm coming from a Golf. I did take a peek at some other cars, but unless I spend almost 2x the price of the GTI I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be happy. And even if I did spend much more, I'm not sure I really would like any car as much as the amazingly versatile GTI!

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Test drove a few MK6 and MK7 GTIs. Get the performace pack for sure, it's well worth the extra money! That's at the top of my list if I go the buyback route.

MK7 Golf R. Hard not to love this one, but MPG will suffer :(

Porsche Cayman... Not practical enough (need a car that seats 4 comfortably), but whoa, what a car! Even though it's not a "fast" car, the way it handles and the noises it makes really did give me pause for giving up those practical items.

Mazda 3. Loved the drive, hated that the manual 6 speed wasn't available in all trims and I also hated that I couldn't delete the sunroof from a higher trimmed model. And I need that little bit of extra headroom!

Subaru Forester. Nice car, but I found the seat bottoms too short for my long legs. I actually like the base model a lot. it has plenty of headroom without the sunroof. the big downside is lack of grunt and a floaty ride that leads to it feeling a bit unstable even though the ride is a bit stiff. How did they manage that?!

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Thinking a MK7 golf R or a 2017 a4 Quattro sedan... Will wait a little while closed to reimbursement time to decide more...

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Mazda 3. Loved the drive, hated that the manual 6 speed wasn't available in all trims and I also hated that I couldn't delete the sunroof from a higher trimmed model.
Agree, agree, agree: Loved the drive. However, 6M non-availability across trim line plus lack of sunroof delete, the vast ocean of black vinyl (alternative to cloth) ...........all bring me closer to VW's GSW 1.8 turbo 5M: In white but with the less preferable (to Vtex) beige CLOTH - - - and finally - - -no hole in der roof!!

I still am (delightfully) in awe that VW is (allegedly) going to buyback my wagon for damn near what I laid out new (less dork fee, sales tax and license).

ez sends

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Not going to replace my TDI Jetta Sportwagen. Nope. I will take the $5K and
fix if that ever comes. If no fix offered I will opt out..

I will enjoy the car another ~10 years (unless they come and get it). I
don't think my state will ban them. I'll take that risk. If they are no longer
imported, my JSW will have value to me first, resale second. Engine has 31K
on it, chassis 85K.... put on the C3 pump.... away I go.

So I get $16.5K. What can I buy with anywhere near the torque, mpg, fit, finish,
handling and utility. There are great cars out there, but this one fits me. If I got
a really nice car, say $38K, financed $22K, it would be at least $500 a month for
36 months... No thanks. Buying cars is huge depreciation as some VW owners
learned and apparently did not know. Fully depreciated, my TDI is the gift that
keeps on giving. Planning a 1400 mile trip in a week and some car camping.
I will laugh when I fill and get near 50 MPG....

I am far better off financially and personally keeping it and driving it as long
as I had planned, even without restitution payment.

Last edited:

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Three choices (not in order): 1. 2015 Volvo S60 (they sell for around $26K). 2. Golf SW gasser (local dealer offering them from $15K to $22.5K). 3. CPO Audi A6.

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
Top choices in order of likeliness:

GSW TSI SEL with lighting and assistance
Golf Alltrack 4Motion DSG (manual available though!)
MINI Clubman S All4 8AT
GTI 4door DSG
BMW 328i xDrive wagon
Tesla Model 3
Mazda CX3 or CX5

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
Hope no one will get upset, but this is definitely a matter of personal opinion, so don't beat me up.

1. CPO Toyota Avalon--Wife liked it, but doesn't have her heart set on it.
2. New Mazda 6--Manual removes all the cool stuff like lighting and sunroof, so we may end up with an automatic touring trim model.

Can't think of anything else, if they settled the V6 TDI case a used A6 TDI was in the running but it's not looking good for this option...

Skylines

TDI
2010 6spd Golf
2013 GTI, loved the feel "almost" as much as my TDI. My only problem with them is I will always want more boost, and I can't realistically afford a Golf R.

2014 BRZ/FRS love the look of the cars, but it felt like I was back in my 02 celica, maybe a little more smooth, far less torquey than what I'm used to.

09? Volvo C30- friends car, don't really care for the back glass, and they're a bit harder to find deals on, as well as being pricier. Probably my favorite of the ones I've looked at, but still not feeling it.

I'll probably just keep my TDI and 94 civic. Gotta live the hatch life!

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Not Buick LaCrosse.
I rented one for a company trip of over 2000 miles and a couple of weeks and I prefer my 2009 and 2013 JSWs.

LOUDERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 2dr Golf TDI, 6MT
Personally, I'm having second thoughts on selling it back. Just went for a drive and I'll be damned if I'm ever that happy in another hatchback that gets 40+MPG.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I got a tune on my golf a couple weeks ago. It'll be very hard to find another car with the same mpg and power ratio :eek:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Top choices in order of likeliness:

GSW TSI SEL with lighting and assistance
Golf Alltrack 4Motion DSG (manual available though!)
MINI Clubman S All4 8AT
GTI 4door DSG
BMW 328i xDrive wagon
Tesla Model 3
Mazda CX3 or CX5

Good luck on the Model 3. I believe there is a three year waiting list that is only getting longer. Does sound pretty damn cool though.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Personally, I'm having second thoughts on selling it back. Just went for a drive and I'll be damned if I'm ever that happy in another hatchback that gets 40+MPG.

If it wasn't for the HPFP worries, I'd probably be thinking the same thing. I've thought about getting the CP3 pump, but I couldn't do it myself so it's just too much to really consider. I'm also pretty sure I'll be happy in a new MKVII GTI, except that it will cost quite a bit of money to make the change even with the extra cash from VW.