Unique Issue

ctmoore79

TDI
2012 Golf
Just took my car to the dealer to replace the front brake pads. I had extra wear on the passenger side and they needed to be replaced. Dealer had a deal so just took it in. Service rep takes me out to the bay to show me that there was an issue. The passenger side has the wrong rotor, caliper, knuckle and hub. They come back later and tell me that the parts a for a Skoda. I bought the car new from the same dealer with 85 miles on it and it has been serviced there since new. It was transfered from another dealer before I picked it up. I have never had an accident and have not messed with the front end in any way. I am waiting to hear back from the dealer once VWOA tells them what to do. This is a very odd situation that I hope gets resolved soon.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Well that is odd, I would have them check all 4 brakes, seems like VW owes you new brakes and rotors all around and they should pay for everything. Good luck and let us know what happens

gsmith2424

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Value Edition DSG
My questions is, how in the world did they even get Skoda parts in the USA since they aren't sold here?

ctmoore79

TDI
2012 Golf
That is what I am wondering also. This makes no sense at all. I am annoyed that I have been driving it like this for 4 years.

gsmith2424

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Value Edition DSG
Are Skoda's assembled in the same Mexican plant as the US cars? Or the German plant if that is where the Golf was assembled.
That's what I've been thinking might have been the case and they might have just placed the wrong part in for the wrong line or the wrong part got shipped to the plant. If that was the case did any other cars end up the same way?

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
While I would not be mad at VW for making this mistake, I would expect them to put a new assembly on the Passenger front and a new rotor and pads on the drivers side to balance the system. I would not expect them to touch the rear.....unless they have the wrong parts, also. I would give VWOA a call to give your side of the story.

Donald

ctmoore79

TDI
2012 Golf
While I would not be mad at VW for making this mistake, I would expect them to put a new assembly on the Passenger front and a new rotor and pads on the drivers side to balance the system. I would not expect them to touch the rear.....unless they have the wrong parts, also. I would give VWOA a call to give your side of the story.

Donald
Just talked to the dealer and VWOA is asking them for pictures. VWOA is trying to figure out why no one noticed until now. That is why things are being held up. I am pretty confident the dealer has it covered. If they start feeding be a bunch of BS then I will take it up with VWOA.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
tactdi: The window sticker says Germany. Port of entry Brunswick.
Presumably, the Skoda parts are from a Skoda line in the same German factory, and as someone suggested, the parts got mixed up inthe plant.

Amazing that an experienced work on the line did not notice. They must look essentially identical but for the part number. Amazing that they happened to FIT!

vr6chris

TDI
'10 JSW S 2.5L 6mt
Under the skin, so to speak, many Skoda parts are the same as VW parts. I wonder if you got the 280mm rotor on the right side (which did not come on US market Golfs AFAIK). The most noticeable difference is that the caliper carrier is built into the steering knuckle and not a separate piece as it is on cars with 288mm or larger rotors. I would have them check the strut and spring, too, while they're at it.

ctmoore79

TDI
2012 Golf
Under the skin, so to speak, many Skoda parts are the same as VW parts. I wonder if you got the 280mm rotor on the right side (which did not come on US market Golfs AFAIK). The most noticeable difference is that the caliper carrier is built into the steering knuckle and not a separate piece as it is on cars with 288mm or larger rotors. I would have them check the strut and spring, too, while they're at it.
I think you hit the nail on the head. The mechanic did mention the spring being wrong as well. The rotor was just a bit smaller and the carrier was attached to the steering knuckle.

Last edited:

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Sounds like an entire subassembly would up on the wrong vehicle. I am thinking the hub, brakes, and strut are put together before being placed on the car.

No idea how that would happen, but you can bet VW is asking the same question as well.

ctmoore79

TDI
2012 Golf
Update:
Service manager said VW will be replacing the strut, spring, knuckle, wheel bearing, caliper, rotor and pads. Like GetMore stated the sub assembly. They are ordering the parts and I am going to grab a loaner tomorrow morning. Not sure if I will ask for anything else since this was a from new problem. Most likely not from the dealer but may contact VWOA about it and explain my concerns.

vr6chris

TDI
'10 JSW S 2.5L 6mt
..The mechanic did mention the spring being wrong as well. The rotor was just a bit smaller and the carrier was attached to the steering knuckle.
These parts are used on lower-spec Golfs in Europe and similar parts are used on lower-spec US-market Jettas, too. It certainly does sound like the wrong subassembly got put on the car. Who knew that mistakes happen at German factories!

It would be nice if they didn't charge you for the rest of the brake job, which would be the left side rotor, I guess, and a little extra labor. If you do end up with a $0 bill, I'd say the Service Advisor and Technician have earned a little 'gratuity' for doing the right thing.

ctmoore79

TDI
2012 Golf
Update:
Job is done and I am going to pick up the car tomorrow. Looks like they still want me to pay for part of the brake job and a brake fluid flush, that was due anyway. I am kind of annoyed by this I would not have needed a brake job of the proper parts had been put on in the first place. I do see where they are coming from since I can not prove that the parts were there from new. Kind of sucks but whatever it is not like it is that expensive.