Engine light and flashing glow plug indicator

TRAMPLINEMAN

TDI
JSW
2012 JSW. Started the car tonight and both these lights were on. Drove the car about 10 miles home. Pulled a P2564 code. Did a search on here and found some info. Now, I've never done a bit of work on this car, always had the dealer do all the service cause I had warranty. In 119,988 miles, this is only the second time it's had the engine light come on. In my searching, I found that the wiring going to the sensor or actuator can possibly go bad. Is this the wiring that plugs in right above the passenger side axel shaft? Also, some said that this code could possibly be due to the vains in the turbo being full of soot and to clean them. Ok, where do I find this? I really don't want to disassemble things I don't need to.

Most of what I found on here when I searched this code was for older cars. Do those problems still pertain to the newer cars? I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I'm not afraid to tackle this, I just need to know where to look.

TRAMPLINEMAN

TDI
JSW
Well, I cleared the code that same day and car ran great. Today, lights came back on and got same code, P2564.

Anybody?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I've never done it, but you should be able to do an output test with a VCDS and see if the actuator is moving.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
I don't have VCDS.
Unfortunately, for these complex creatures, that's about the same as saying "I don't have a 10mm or 13mm wrench". :) :)

Best 300 bucks you'll ever spend on your car, and if you ever sell the car you'll get most of your money back anyway.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Without this you really can not move forward, what I would suggest is finding a local "guru" or very competent indie repair shop that has this and knows VW TDI's and have them look at it. Good luck BTW your do for a timing belt , soon ( 130K)if you have not done it yet so finding a shop will be a good idea if your not planning on doing it yourself and I think you need a VCDS for that also.

I don't have VCDS.

TRAMPLINEMAN

TDI
JSW
Without this you really can not move forward, what I would suggest is finding a local "guru" or very competent indie repair shop that has this and knows VW TDI's and have them look at it. Good luck BTW your do for a timing belt , soon ( 130K)if you have not done it yet so finding a shop will be a good idea if your not planning on doing it yourself and I think you need a VCDS for that also.
I knew I'd need it eventually, I guess now's the time. There is a kinda local guy who's really good that did my timing belt last weekend. Now, I need to somehow fabricate an 8th day of the week so I can find time to get it back to him.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
If you just had the timing belt serviced, bringing it back to him is a good idea.

timing belt replacement includes some manipulation of the position of the engine, and it is possible to disturb wiring and other connections.

(might be a coincidence, but worth mentioning in any case.....)

If he knows what he is doing for these CR diesels, and has VCDS, he should be able to figure out what is going on, one way or the other.

TRAMPLINEMAN

TDI
JSW
If you just had the timing belt serviced, bringing it back to him is a good idea.

timing belt replacement includes some manipulation of the position of the engine, and it is possible to disturb wiring and other connections.

(might be a coincidence, but worth mentioning in any case.....)

If he knows what he is doing for these CR diesels, and has VCDS, he should be able to figure out what is going on, one way or the other.
This problem actually started a couple weeks before the timing belt replacement.