Air Conditioning Works But Takes Time To Blow Cool

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hello, just looked at it, its Sanden 1k0820808d

Dont see it on polar bear link... Help?

JP-2010

TDI
Jetta 2010 TDI
Is there a good place to purchase Genuine Compressor, filter and dryer for my 2010 Jetta TDI? I do not want to pay a dealer the prices they will charge and looking for other options. Do not want to buy a cheap KnockOff and have trouble down the road. Looking for the same device found on my car now.

Is best way to have this determined by VIN? Some other way?

Have not had to do anything to my car other than basic wear items and oil and filters.

Thanks

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Hello, just looked at it, its Sanden 1k0820808d

Dont see it on polar bear link... Help?
That s the VW part number not the compressor part number. As hotpocketdeath said, look for bolt or snap ring. It's not hard to see. Apparently the compressor came with two different styles or RCV's. If you don't see a bolt around the valve (electrical connectors), then it is the snap ring version, which I think is more common. I like polar bear folks, bought from them, but I would go to ebay or amazon. Cheaper.

As I say below, if you are having the work done by a shop, the AC shop will not warranty their work typically with owner supplied parts. Some will not do it at all. A lot of AC shops are clueless about this, and would normally just replace the whole compressor and dehydrator. I am assuming you are not a DIY'er. I would not recommend doing this as DIY work because of the need of special gear and recovering refrigerant. I suggest you go to an AC shop, explain what you want, and get them to look for the snap ring or bolt. Have them order the part or you get it. My point is let them look for the snap ring v. bolt version. Once you know that you or the shop can order the correct part number and schedule the service. Most shops will not warranty this work, because it does not always fix the issue. It was a rumor or fact many VW's came out of factory with a low refrigerant charge. Sometimes recharging with correct weight of refrigerant solved low cooling issues...

Is there a good place to purchase Genuine Compressor, filter and dryer for my 2010 Jetta TDI? I do not want to pay a dealer the prices they will charge and looking for other options. Do not want to buy a cheap KnockOff and have trouble down the road. Looking for the same device found on my car now. Is best way to have this determined by VIN? Some other way? Thanks
Well in a way everything is a knock-off. Just do your research. Get the VW part numbers and look at Amazon, eBay and google. You will learn a lot and get alternate part numbers and uses.

You will get hits from real honest to goodness VW dealers that do online sales which sell "genuine" VW parts (they sell on eBay as well). They tend to sell towards the lower end of the markup. With no tax the shipping is a wash. That will get you "genuine" VW.

However many "genuine" VW part are made by the same people who have "knock offs", which just are minus the VW part number and box. If you get the generic part number, not the VW part numbered version, you can expand the search and get lower prices many times. eBay helps as a research tool, as auctions will tell you all applications.

First dealer does not sell the RCV as a stand alone part. Second, if the part is really cheap, I'd be suspicious. In general "genuine" vs generic you can expect to pay 25% to 50% less than dealer part prices. Keep in mind most AC shops will not warranty their work with customer supplied parts, or they will refuse to do it. So you might want to just let an AC repair shop supply parts. Their markup may be modest. If a DIY'er then go bargain hunt for parts.

I learned this lesson on a part Bosh part for Porsche long ago. It was the same part used on other cars and sold for 1/3rd the price, same part just different part number. This does not always work out, and sometimes you have to pay the piper for OEM only part. However with the internet we can research parts, sources, cost. I bought two RCV valves off of eBay. One was an official AC parts place, other eBay. Same part, same box, one was about $30 more and took longer to get.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Is there a good place to purchase Genuine Compressor, filter and dryer for my 2010 Jetta TDI? I do not want to pay a dealer the prices they will charge and looking for other options. Do not want to buy a cheap KnockOff and have trouble down the road. Looking for the same device found on my car now.

Is best way to have this determined by VIN? Some other way?

Have not had to do anything to my car other than basic wear items and oil and filters.

Thanks
http://www.vwpartscenter.net/auto-p.../hvac-cat/condenser-compressor-and-lines-scat

is one of the online dealers. when I provided my VIN with an order, they provided an updated part number for the condenser (which includes the dryer)

http://www.idparts.com/ac-compressor-sanden-a5-brmmkvi-cbea-cjaanms-ckra-p-5035.html

sells the Sanden compressor for about a hundred and a half less than the online price at partscenter... , and offers a couple choices...

you can shop around. advice in previous post, from gmcjetpilot, is right on.

I always provide the VIN with an order, and ask specifically for the seller to check. some dealers also sell via e-bay, but they are not always the lowest price for the same part.

a few of the local DC area dealers sell parts (even online) and jack the prices up. (list price, it seems, depends on who makes up the list.....:eek: ) but the parts desks are sometimes given authority to provide different pricing online, so it is at least worth sending them an e-mail or a call to get a price. in some cases, when you figure sales tax, shipping,.... it makes more sense to go to the local guy.

I would get new seals to go with each new part you plan to install.

looking forward to seeing your experience... do you plan to do the work yourself? there are a lot of fussy details and specialized tools involved....

Last edited:

JP-2010

TDI
Jetta 2010 TDI
I will not be doing myself because I do not have tools to recover refrigerant. I have a friend that has a shop and has these tools. I will have him do the AC work.

I am very close to try the RCV valve by itself but want to price up the whole compressor, filter and dryer. Not looking to cheap out and want the system to work, work well for a long time again without need of servicing again. This is my daily driver that I need for my job and is hard to schedule the service for items I cannot do myself evenings. Rather pay a little more and do it once and be done with it.

Thanks for the links. I am going to start searching around now.

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Just ordered rcv from polarbear for my Sandan compressor. PB informed me that the 030 valve has been causing some problems as far as the install. It seems like the plastic collar is a shade to big to fit and it has to be shaved down a bit. She offered the 019 valve and said it works fine so thats what I ordered. Should arrive tomorrow so I ll post results shortly

JP-2010

TDI
Jetta 2010 TDI
I am being told from a local source that will change my AC compressor I should pickup Compressor, Drier and filter.

Searching on VWpartscenter.net and ip[arts.com I cannot find any drier that is part of the AC system. Does such a part exist?

If changing compressor is a a good idea to alos change the expansion valve? I know on some systems there is a small device that goes inside a line and may look like a filter but think it is an expansion valve device. On the VW this looks to be a fairly sizable device. but maybe what he is looking for?

Looking for some help on parts that may be called filter on a 2010 TDI Jetta.
1K0-820-808-F COMPRESSOR
1K0-298-403-A DRIER
Above is the 2 parts I have been able to find that I think is what I need for my car.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Yes, it is a filter drier. Long vertical tube that comes with a new condenser coil set, or you buy it separately.

The Thermal expansion valve on these systems is a fist full. It is not an orifice tube such as was used on older systems.

JP-2010

TDI
Jetta 2010 TDI
Is there another piece that goes in the drier?

The person told me there should be 3 parts as he called a VW to get OEM parts.

I said I would get the parts and could only find 2 items I listed after looking at 2 online stores for VW parts. I think he may be mistaken an looking for confirmation that the only items I need is the Compressor and Drier. If there is any other item recommended to be replaced when a compressor is being replaced I would like to know.
1K0-820-808-F COMPRESSOR
1K0-298-403-A DRIER

That there is no item listed by itself as a filter?

Thanks

Maybe I will call the local VW location the person said got pricing for the 3 items.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Why are you replacing the compressor?

If the old compressor oil is black and sludgy or if it has metal flakes in it, then I would flush the system (hoses and evaporator), then replace the compressor, condenser, Thermal Control Valve (TCV),

If I was replacing the compressor on a car (say because the case had a pin hole, or the seals were bad) , and the oil was light amber and had no metal flakes I would probably only replace the (filter/drier - one piece), and the compressor.

You can sometimes find the filter/drier listed as a filter, and sometimes as a drier - but it is both in a single piece.

However many professionals will always replace the TCV anytime they replace the compressor. (This may simply be insurance against their misdiagnoses of the original problem, and it may be simply an effort to ensure as long a period of trouble free operation for their customer as possible). And many professionals in the rust belt will always replace the condenser with a new compressor. Down here they last a long time - little corrosion, little gravel damage - not always so true in Massachusetts.

https://www.polarbearinc.com/index.cfm/product/917/rd-10902.htm filter drier for your car.

If you buy a condenser from the dealer, it comes with a filter drier. I cannot tell from the picture if the same is true from www.polarbearinc.com, but you can call and ask them.

Go to their website and put in your car info, they have all the pieces/parts you may want, and it will picture them all for you.

I would buy a real Sanden compressor, from them or from someone else.
I am not sure if VALAIR 214-449-5839 would sell one or not. They are a highly recommended source by my Dodge Cummins friends.

And I always trust IDParts.com as a vendor. He will never knowingly sell poor parts.

JP-2010

TDI
Jetta 2010 TDI
DanG

Thanks.. I am replacing compressor and drier/filter. Well explained and understood.

Best price I have found is from IDParts for a Sanden compressor and is my plan to purchase there.

Thanks Again

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
If the old compressor oil is black and sludgy or if it has metal flakes in it, then I would flush the system (hoses and evaporator), then replace the compressor, condenser, Thermal Control Valve (TCV),
If you had mass contamination it is best to replace it all, not flush. The orifices in the condenser and evaporator are very small. It like a HPFP failure and you have to replace injectors, aux pumps....

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
just ordered new RCV, can't wait! many thanks everyone. Will keep you guys posted when I get it and get it installed via a local shop.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
If you had mass contamination it is best to replace it all, not flush. The orifices in the condenser and evaporator are very small. It like a HPFP failure and you have to replace injectors, aux pumps....
Best, yes, perhaps in some technical sense. But I have never seen it done. Replacing the evaporator is not a minor task. The expense of the flush, new compressor, new condenser, and filter/drier with the labor and refrigerant is enough to send most people into shock.

Add in 8-10 hours of labor to remove the dash and put in an evaporator, and you are into some real money.

RCE1

TDI
Golf
I've been having trouble with the AC in my Golf TDi. Since I expect VW to buy it in the fall, I just had the tech put freon in it and I'm just going to keep driving it that way. I just went through the central valley of California and it was 104 degrees and the AC held its own, although it's never been thrilling.

I had refrigerant added last February and the tech said it was low again, so there was a leak. I'm trying to spend as little as I can on this car, for obvious reasons.

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Well I recieved my rcv from Polarbear and had my ac guy evacuate the system. Got new valve in and recharged system. Worked great for 3 days now back to same problem. There were some minute debris on old valve. Any thoughts. Seems like compressor is fine when valve is working. Would another valve be in order in addition to a system flush?

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Also at times after running ac without recirc buttun pushed the fan sound will change inside the car and it almost sounds like it switches to recirc without pressing the button. It will also stop cooling sometimes when this happens

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Also at times after running ac without recirc buttun pushed the fan sound will change inside the car and it almost sounds like it switches to recirc without pressing the button. It will also stop cooling sometimes when this happens
Sounds like you have issues unrelated to the RCV.

VCDS could help you figure out what is going on.

there are quite a few sensors and actuators in the system.

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Just a followup. Checked fuses. All seem good. Dont know which one controls high pressure sensor. Anyhow. Tried ac in driveway and now fans dont kick on when ac is turned on. Any thoughts. High pressure sensor?

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Got back from my trip and checked low pressure side and found very high pressure on that side. Any thoughts?
Not all RCV replacements solve the issue. Sorry to here. Knock on wood (my head) my RCV replacement is holding.

If you have on high side... the old trouble shoot chart says....
http://www.aa1car.com/library/ac_diagnosis_chart.gif

High P on Low Side
1) Over charged
2) Air in the system or overcharged
3) RCV failure.

The "fix" would be to evacuate. This is over kill but I pull vacuum for 30 to
45 mins. I stop Vac pump, make sure it holds for an hour; then vacuum
another 30 mins. Then recharge. Make sure you bleed the lines with R134a
before opening valve to introduce it into the vacuumed down system.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Reviving this back to life.... RCV was replaced today by my local shop and wow! Huge difference! Super cold! Thankful for this thread.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Reviving this back to life.... RCV was replaced today by my local shop and wow! Huge difference! Super cold! Thankful for this thread.
What did they charge you for the record?

YEP it is awesome AC once the RCV is replaced and it is charged to proper level (rumor that they came from factory undercharged). With that said, my DIY fix has now been going strong for +9 months. Started using in the last month for hotter weather.... Still blowing cold making my nipples hard :eek:... ha ha ha :D.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Haha! They charged me $275 by credit card but if by cash, $250. Oh well I was in a hurry. They drained oil, freon then replaced RCV and gave me the old RCV. Right now It is in the car with me. So they filled new freon, oil and dye. No leak so far. Super cold which made my nipples hard like you said. Haha! I am so grateful For this forum... I am already on 3rd compressor..... VW really are dishonest on that area... they could have just replaced RCV and send us back on the road.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
It seems you are right about underfilled from factory. It is super cold than ever!