Removing trunk trim

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg- R Line
Hi,

I just ordered a trunk latch for my golf hatch. I wasn't able to find any info on removing the trim for the trunk lid to access the latch. Are they just clips all the way around? Do I need to remove tail lights to access any bolts?

I have a mk6 golf hatchback.

Thanks!

Ron

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
I was able to pull the trim off, replace the latch, and trunk now closes/locks. There are 2 screws on both sides of the trunk handle that should be removed. I ended up using a screw driver and some needle nose pliers to remove 4 metal clips, and just enough room to unplug the wire for the latch You have to becareful, as I ended up cracking one of the plastic housing for the metal clips.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Hi, I just ordered a trunk latch for my golf hatch. I wasn't able to find any info on removing the trim for the trunk lid to access the latch. Are they just clips all the way around? Do I need to remove tail lights to access any bolts? I have a mk6 golf hatchback. Thanks! Ron
Piece of cake.... I did this job. Very satisfying, does not take too long and restores trunk operations. You have two torx screws. Then you pop the clips as I show below. The tools I list below as well. A long flat blade screw driver with tape over it and interior removal tools (Harbor Freight, $9) helps. If you do any work on a VW or German car, get a set of triple square bits (not hex, not torx).... Ebay has them for under $15. I have a thread on the forum someplace, but here are my pictures. If you have tools, 30 minutes done deal, add re-assembly and putting tools away... an hour tops.

Last edited:

akrievins

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Comfortline - DSG
Thanks everyone!
I was able to do this fix with only the tools that I had. Long screwdriver, and vice grips. I actually used vice grips on the two triple square 8mm bolts since I didn't have a set of them.

The part cost me $45 from ebay, delivered to me in Canada.

Took me about an hour to do.

Very satisfying to have my trunk working again. Anyone know how much a dealer would have charged to have this done? The part alone would probably be over $100 at the VW dealer.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Thanks everyone!
I was able to do this fix with only the tools that I had. Long screwdriver, and vice grips. I actually used vice grips on the two triple square 8mm bolts since I didn't have a set of them.
Very satisfying to have my trunk working again. Anyone know how much a dealer would have charged to have this done? The part alone would probably be over $100 at the VW dealer.
the triple square sets are under 10$ at Princess Auto. well worth it if you ever have to take your steering wheel off ;)

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Thanks everyone!
Anyone know how much a dealer would have charged to have this done? The part alone would probably be over $100 at the VW dealer.
The part is about $90 list + tax and an hour labor which is $120 hr.... So min charge $200 to $250.
Yep the forum is worth it... we all should chip into... they don't harass you for donations....

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks gmcjetpilot! I ended up only removing the 4 clips and removed the 2 triple square bolts. From there it was pretty easy to remove and replace the latch.

I paid just over $100 for the latch and didn't take to much time to replace. I wish I found your diagram earlier, thankfully I managed to figure it out without breaking too many clips :p The hardest part was trying to remove the clips.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome! The part wasn't too unreasonable at the dealer($100can incl tax), and needed my trunk fixed asap. And as previously mentioned, princess auto for triple square tools ?
Thanks everyone!

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I want to boast that it costed me $0 to fix it.

My trunk light as well as MFD were not working. Seems that the latch was the problem.

I removed the 2 torx screws and pulled lower side of the trim a bit. Did not remove it entirely.

used triple square to undo the bolts. Those were pretty tight, I'd say. Took the latch out.

Dismantled the latch bit bending 2 tabs and separating the piece. It seems that micro switches are causing the MF and trunk light the failure. Added some electrical tape, straightened the micro switch followers and bench tested. Was OK.

Reassembled the latch in closed (locked) position. Reinstalled it onto the car. Tested. The light and the MFD do work fine.

$0.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
That's awesome! I tried fiddling with the broken latch, but couldn't pry it open to diagnose any further.

I want to boast that it costed me $0 to fix it.

My trunk light as well as MFD were not working. Seems that the latch was the problem.

I removed the 2 torx screws and pulled lower side of the trim a bit. Did not remove it entirely.

used triple square to undo the bolts. Those were pretty tight, I'd say. Took the latch out.

Dismantled the latch bit bending 2 tabs and separating the piece. It seems that micro switches are causing the MF and trunk light the failure. Added some electrical tape, straightened the micro switch followers and bench tested. Was OK.

Reassembled the latch in closed (locked) position. Reinstalled it onto the car. Tested. The light and the MFD do work fine.

$0.