RNS 315 lack of speed dials work around...

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
As you know if you have an RNS 315 you have no way to program speed dials for your cell phone on the PHONE display page.

A work-around for this is accomplished simply by repeating the entries you need speed dials for in your phone's contacts and prefacing the entry name with a special character such as "@". The 315 will load the phone book in alphabetical order and all of your "@" entries will appear first in a nice list down the page. Just touch the one you want to call. Mine looks like this:
@ 911
@ Phone Home
@ Work
@ etc.

Loving the new Passat. Picked it up Saturday

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
This post has had 134 reads and no one has said it was either:
a. A great idea.
b. A stupid idea.
c. An obvious work around that any moron would have thought of.
d. Thanks for that I'll use it.

Instead all I got is none of the above. :confused:

Ozzmosis86

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Not a bad idea, I always use the most recent calls option. That gets me to my main numbers I need.

Sharky

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI manual, 2012 Passat TDI manual
As you know if you have an RNS 315 you have no way to program speed dials for your cell phone on the PHONE display page.

A work-around for this is accomplished simply by repeating the entries you need speed dials for in your phone's contacts and prefacing the entry name with a special character such as "@". The 315 will load the phone book in alphabetical order and all of your "@" entries will appear first in a nice list down the page. Just touch the one you want to call. Mine looks like this:
@ 911
@ Phone Home
@ Work
@ etc.

Loving the new Passat. Picked it up Saturday
911 is your number one speed dail ? I hope that is not because it's your number one most used phone number. Thanksfor the great advise though.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
911 is your number one speed dail ?
Funny you should mention that. I accidentally push it the other day not being familiar with the RNS 315. I immediately disconnected before a single ring. Don't you know, 911 called me back instantly to ask the nature of my emergency. I apologized profusely and thanked them for getting back so fast.

I used it one other time after I ran over a ladder on Rt. 95 with my JSW and they patched me in to the Mass. State Police. The Jetta was unharmed but I figured some guy in a Toyota Prius would probably wipe out his whole front end on it so I called it in.

Anyway, my motivation is that I see myself in a ditch off the road, my cell phone having flown into the back seat on impact, me hanging upside down by the seat belt. There on the RNS-315 is my telephone book display showing 116@ which is @911 upside down, and I push that button and I am rescued.

Last edited:

under2x

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE manual
I just use the handsfree audio interface, "call foo". It's fun to guess how the computer wants you to say people's name so it will understand.