AVIC-Z110 in 2010 Golf MKVI TDI wagon

bassewitz

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
(alternate discussion not related to installation problem http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3250861#post3250861)

This thread is started to keep all those responses to my install of my AVIC-Z110BT in my 2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI with Panoramic sunroof just about the install and this one about all the other options I could/should have considered.
Like for example the fact that I am quite happy with the original 8 speaker installation by Volkswagen.
When I still had my 2001 VW Golf TDI I opted to give the Monsoon speakers that I thought were already pretty good a bit more boost by installing a 10" sub and a mono amp.
It definitely helped with the middle of the range single DIN head unit from Panasonic.
My AVIC-Z110BT has a built-in EQ that has enabled me to give the sound of the 8 speakers a lot more depth. Even when I connect the iPhone only via Bluetooth.
That is actually something where even I notice that the sound quality is not quite up to snuff.
Otherwise I have a hard time justifying purchasing and installing more expensive speakers.
I personally try to keep the volume at a level where I can still hear things going on around me. So I don't need speakers with higher output or a sub that rattles my car and the three around me when I play my tunes.
Even in my 2001 Golf I didn't turn up the sub's volume to the point where the base was all I could hear or worse where the base acted as my pacemaker.
I also find it a waste of money since a car is inherently noisy. May it be engine, wind or road-noise. Even worse when I open my sunroof or my windows. At that point I don't think you will notice the difference between the factory speakers and those that cost $150-200 a piece.
You may disagree and that is fine.
I also don't see a point in playing lossless MP3's or AAC's in my car compared to 192k MP3's or AAC's. At home - maybe. But you will need a really good setup there to hear the difference.
Feel free to disagree.

Last edited: