96 Passat glow time

dee_zell

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 03 auto
A 1996 Passat hard to start when cold. Tried to extend the glow time but it doesn't seem to work with the Vagcom procedure explained in the How-To's. Help please.

dee_zell

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 03 auto
wrenchman30 said:
if your glow plugs are working correctly its most like timing.
It's my friend's car with 320K Kms on the odo. GPs has never been changed. No fault codes but as you mentioned timing might be an issue. Can I use Vagcom to check it?

wrenchman30

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 gray 2006 dark blue
i would recomend using the timing tools to check the base timing on the engine. with that many miles i would recomend you read the broken glow plug removal posts and then decide to change them. they probably arent working correctly. check for voltage at the glow plugs you can use a test light hooked to battery positive and touch to the terminal on the glow plug and if it lights up usually the glow plug is good.

dee_zell

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 03 auto
wrenchman30 said:
i would recomend using the timing tools to check the base timing on the engine. with that many miles i would recomend you read the broken glow plug removal posts and then decide to change them. they probably arent working correctly. check for voltage at the glow plugs you can use a test light hooked to battery positive and touch to the terminal on the glow plug and if it lights up usually the glow plug is good.
Okay, timing checked and within the specs. All glow plugs get power. No fault codes, engine is responsive and once it warms up it has no startup issues but when cold it cranks unacceptably long before it starts choking and shaking scaring everybody inside.

What's next to check, any ideas?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Check the compression. You still might try adjusting the timing. Tweeting it may help.

dee_zell

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 03 auto
Joe_Meehan said:
Check the compression.
Ouch! No tools, will have to look for some service. This car has always been run on mineral oils changed religiously every 3000 miles. Is it OK?

Joe_Meehan said:
You still might try adjusting the timing. Tweeting it may help.
The timing is within specs but retarded.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
dee_zell said:
Ouch! No tools, will have to look for some service. This car has always been run on mineral oils changed religiously every 3000 miles. Is it OK?

The timing is within specs but retarded.
Mineral oils? What about full synth 5/40 every 10K.

Timing should be slightly advanced, slightly retarded does cause harder starting.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I believe that mineral oils were OK for 96, but I could be wrong. It depends on what was specified. However it still comes down to current condition and a compression test is one good indicator.

BTW how many miles total on it?