Anti-theft radio code

GladesTDI

After 2 years I learned that my 2000 Golf has a radio code, except that my sales mman never gave it to me.

How do I obtain the radio code for my car?

Thanks, and have a great July 4th!

dave

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Glades, I recall that the code card is on a perforated stub in the front of one of the car's manuals. Take a look at the books and you may find it.

alex wetmore

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It is also often in the trunk or back of the car on the driver's side. In our 2002 Jetta Wagon I found it by lifting up the plastic organizer bins that are under the carpet in the cargo area.

alex

HkyTDiGuy

TDI
2001 Golf GL TDi Reflex Silver w/ blk int
My dealer had to replace the stereo in my 2001, and I reminded them every chance I got to give me the radio code. I think they had to pull the unit from the console to look at the serial # & then email VW C/S for it. You probably could contact VW C/S at the toll-free # & give them the serial # of the unit. Just explain to them the dealer never gave you the code card. Unless the power to it has already been disconnected & it is locked up, don't unplug the power harness - just slide the unit out & look for the #. The dealer should let you borrow the radio removal tools for a few minutes in their parking lot. Now, if I can just get the key code to my car - the little black tag was not there when I bought the car.

GladesTDI

I appreciate the replies! I did find my key code, but searched my manual, and zip.

I'll have to pull the radio I guess.

Thanks everyone!!!

dave

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
At some point in time, VW started using radios that reset without the radio code after about 4 starts. This will only happen if it is plugged into the car that it is supposed to be in.

Mine is one such radio. I've had the battery disconnected for a lengthy time and did not need to plug in the code afterwards.

Try it on yours.