help programming new remote with only one old on 99.5 jetta

Greaseburger

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta,2011 Tdi sportwgon
I must apologize if this has been asked but the numerous posts are confusing, I have only ever had one key/remote with my 99.5 jetta and I understand this is pre-immobolizer but not wanting to be locked out or having a alarm going off that the old one can't shut off I want to add a second one. I purchsed the new key and remote but cannot seem to get vagcom to add the second one, also the drivers door lock cylinder turns but will not unlock the door:( will I need to fix to get things to work? can someone please send me in the right direction for an explanation?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Do what that post #2 says for programming except it should read (note the bold additions):

[Select]

[46 - Cent. Conv.]or [35 - Cent. Locking](whichever is applicable to the car, as found
here)

[Adaptation - 10]

Enter channel "01" (May be channel "21" in some Audi models).

[Read]

Enter 0 for the total number of keys to program.
[TEST]

Verify that the number in "Test value" is correct.

[Save]

Enter your total number of keys up to a maximum of 4(including any existing keys) in "New Value"

[Test]

Verify that the number in "Test Value" is correct.

[Save]
Then press and hold (for at least one second) the any button on the fob, at which time it will be learned. If you're programming more than one fob press and hold the any button on the second fob for one second, press and hold the any button on the third fob for one second, etc. You have a total of 15 seconds to do them all.

The car may give you some sort of acknowledgement as each key is learned (lights flash, horn beep, etc.)

Greaseburger

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried it but when I enter the new value for number of keys to 2 and hit test it defaults back to 1

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
And it will. Just continue on with the instructions.

Greaseburger

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok got it figured out, when I saw vagcom o0nly seeing the one key over and over i gave up,but ignoring that and continuing with the posted procedure worked like a charm, thank you so much guys for all your help, this place rocks:D!!

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, that's a "feature" of the older control module. They've deleted that "feature" on the newer ones. ;)

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just programmed two remotes to a 99.5 last night.

I was able to clear the existing taped-together fob (owner had 1) as I instructed above. But on this particular car, it was necessary to read adaptation channel 00, save, and confirm as the next step. Then it was possible to go to channel 01 for the fob programming the two new fobs.

Before that, attempts to program the fobs in channel 01 would only cause the 'TEST' and 'SAVE' buttons to be greyed out on the VCDS window.

Greaseburger

Veteran Member
TDI
That's what was going on with me, test would work but still leave the number of keys at 1 even though I set it to 2, after I ignored that it worked fine, and thank you again you saved me $60.00 and my wife now loves that i bought the vagcom:D

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In this case, it wasn't just the business with the number 1, the controller just wasn't allowing the fobs to be programmed at all. That additional step in channel 00, undocumented by VW, was required to get this one to program the new fobs.

Glad I could help.

Ryan_m83

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I know this is old. But having an issue programming mine. It worked fine before I tried replacing the case. I reused the part of the case with the micro chip. Car will start but remote won't work now. It uses the older 1620 batteries. When it was working believe it or not it had only 1 battery in the fob. I've tried 1 batt, 2 every way can't get a response thr car is a 99.5.

I can't get it to test with 0 entered on as new value. Both test and save are grayed out.

Thanks.

Last edited: