VW best in test!

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Very eye-opening chart. Makes VW, SEAT, Skoda and Audi look like angels by comparison. Might have to rethink my plans to buy a MB E-250 BlueTec.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Very interesting article. That helps explain smog problems in Europe despite tightening NOx regulations.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
"The true scandal of Dieselgate in Europe is national regulators turning a blind eye to the glaring evidence of test cheating with the sole purpose of protecting their national carmakers or their own business. This is killing tens of thousands of people annually. We need a European watchdog to stop EU member states protecting their national champions and to ensure the single market for vehicles operates in the interests of all citizens,” Greg Archer said.
LMAO .. .how so? :rolleyes:

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
Please enlighten the ignorant with some 'real' science, then.
How about instead you explain the hard evidence for causation being raised (?)

This is no different than telling people to stop using aerosol sprays or the ozone layer will deplete and we'll all die of global warming.

Science needs to control variables, be falsifiable, be testable, have controls and many, many corroborated studies, etc. Where are they?

“NO2 correlated with other damage from other emission gases, so its contribution couldn’t be disentangled,” says Martin Williams of King’s College London. “Now, there’s much stronger evidence for independent effects of NO2.”
That's all you got? Sorry, color me a skeptic.

And the "estimated" 23,500 deaths allegedly caused are termed "tens of thousands". How disingenuous! When one reads the "tens of thousands are being killed" line, it's a dead giveaway for scaremongering propaganda and sensationalized headlines. See the war on fossil fuels intimately tied to the degrowth movement and statism at large.

Too many people these days mistake "studies" for fact and "science" without examining the details very closely. It's become a magic buzzword to squelch debate and increasingly political and even religious at the activist extremes.

Last edited:

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
I approach research from places like 'transportenvironment.org' with a grain of salt.

One litmus test we may as well apply to the Euro 6, or FTM Tier 2 bin 5, is whether there is a urea system or not? The biggest offenders seem to either lack one, or have it shutting off. At this point, either of those scenarios would offend me less than saving money with "check out our fancy Clean Diesel LNT".

JDenyer232

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Well if cars are gonna have to be in 100% compliance for on road emissions, don't complain about steep price increases and further complexity in vehicles. It is just not practical to attain 100% compliance at the allowable emission levels today. We have pretty much reached the limit as far as emissions reduction for ICE powered vehicles. Don't count on electric vehicles to be replacing ICE powered cars in any mass quantity. Our grid doesn't have the capacity or ability to move that number of electrons without some massive upgrades. Even if the money was there you are looking at a couple of decades to get it all built.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
How about instead you explain the hard evidence for causation being raised (?)
This is no different than telling people to stop using aerosol sprays or the ozone layer will deplete and we'll all die of global warming.

Science needs to control variables, be falsifiable, be testable, have controls and many, many corroborated studies, etc. Where are they? edit...
You appear science-challenged so I'll help you.

No one said ozone depletion was related to global warming.
What was observed was the presence of man-made chloro-flourocarbons and
suddenly reduced ozone in the upper atmosphere and increased UV at the surface.
Lab testing (science) proved that the Freon-like chemicals do destroy ozone at the observed rate.

So if the mentioned study is no different than the ozone example you cited,
I guess that means they both are scientifically valid, right?