BEW vs AHL, 2005 Golf TDi 1.9L

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
"combined best" ?!?! That's an oxy, moron.

I know how to hypermile and save those techniques for the few times when it matters. The rest of the time I'm one of the worst Mass holes out in public.
Yes, I drove conservatively to (and from) the fest, and did that specifically to (finally) gain the annual recognition, but I also autocross, and practice THOSE techniques much more frequently.
I less frequently drag race on a course, but quite frequently practice launches (0~35) at stop signs.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I drive a mixture of conservatively and aggressively. Here on the west coast, I'm getting between 41 and 45. I don't drive by any means like I'm in a Prius or Nissan Leaf, though.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Interesting. I've had 2 BEW's, both averaged 40-41 mpg combined. Best tank so far was 850 km's to 13 gallons, which is 41 mpg, with 2 adults, 2 kids, all our gear and driving it hard, average speed was 130 km/h. :D
Manual or automatic?

My '05 BEW automatic comes in around 37 mpg per tank with an average speed of 70 mph indicated.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That seems really low to me.
Well, the longest trip is usually down to Sacramento to fill up at a Propel location so the majority is probably local trips around town and up to Paradise or Chico now and then.

I just checked my records and my cumulative average from when I bought the car in July 2011 to my last fill-up in August, is 36.62 mpg over 49,827 miles. I've added about 500 miles since last fill up which includes a trip to Redding and back. Since I have to be in Sacramento on October 13th for my Miata club meeting, I'll take the Jetta and fill it then; Sacramento is just over 70 miles south of me.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Since this is an ALH vs. BEW discussion, for comparison my '02 Wagon (manual, admittedly) has averaged 45.8 over the last 124K miles on Fuelly. I drive a lot of short trips, but some long ones, too. But I also drive pretty fast, usually 75-80 on the highway. On a long trip at that speed I can see 52-53 MPG in the summer, 48 in the winter.

Most of those miles were accumulated when the car was making about twice stock power. FE has improved since I've gone back to closer to stock.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another factor that is probably hurting me, is our triple digit temps from May to October as the A/C is always on adding to the engine load.

MarionCohrs

TDI
TDI diesel
I would also like to try WVO too..

FWIW, I ran an '02 and an '06 on WVO, for around 200K each, with no engine problems. There is no doubt that some have had issues, but no one I know personally. Many have done it very succesfully. I had a lot of fun, and saved a lot of money. If oil was easily available, I would do it again.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
Welcome MarionCohrs. The very first question these days would have to be, do you have oil available? If so, then you can begin to look at the other considerations.

Not so long ago, restaurants were begging you to take their oil as they had to pay to dispose of it. Nowadays, it seems most get paid for it.

JetJet

TDI
Jetta TDI
Here is my take, I make my own biodiesel from UVO or WVO. My cost to produce Biodiesel after my expenses is .67 cents per gallon or less if I make my own Methanol (.13 cents per gallon). My engine runs cleaner, less carbons, cleaner oil and I get the same fuel economy or better. I made my own system using a 10 gallon stainless steel filter that I picked up from a Yard Sale that a water company was having and 55 gallon drums that I picked up here or there. Most important is to wash you biodiesel, its not hard. I do it for fun and economy. Especially do it for my motor home, it takes 150 gallons to fill up my tank.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here is my take, I make my own biodiesel from UVO or WVO. My cost to produce Biodiesel after my expenses is .67 cents per gallon or less if I make my own Methanol (.13 cents per gallon). My engine runs cleaner, less carbons, cleaner oil and I get the same fuel economy or better. I made my own system using a 10 gallon stainless steel filter that I picked up from a Yard Sale that a water company was having and 55 gallon drums that I picked up here or there. Most important is to wash you biodiesel, its not hard. I do it for fun and economy. Especially do it for my motor home, it takes 150 gallons to fill up my tank.
How much per gallon do you have to pay in Federal/state road taxes? That is not counting the first 400 gallons that are tax-free.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Manual or automatic?
My '05 BEW automatic comes in around 37 mpg per tank with an average speed of 70 mph indicated.
5 speed. I am sure if I drove with a light foot I could get better but having too much fun. :D

"combined best" ?!?! That's an oxy, moron.
I know how to hypermile and save those techniques for the few times when it matters. The rest of the time I'm one of the worst Mass holes out in public.
Yes, I drove conservatively to (and from) the fest, and did that specifically to (finally) gain the annual recognition, but I also autocross, and practice THOSE techniques much more frequently.
I less frequently drag race on a course, but quite frequently practice launches (0~35) at stop signs.
Not really, lol. You said it, not me. :p. I drive about 50/50 city/highway so my combined best is 41. I did drive to Kamloops in the summer thru some stupid hilly mountains loaded to the gills but couldn't keep my foot out of it. :eek:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Manual or automatic?

That seems really low to me.
Or not. I was getting about 37mpg as well when the car was still bone stock. After doing my upgrades/improvements, that shot up to at least 39-41 locally (where the terrain is hilly), and up to 48mpg on both the east and west coasts at lower elevations and flat terrain.

Overall, I'm getting about 41mpg.

Another factor that is probably hurting me, is our triple digit temps from May to October as the A/C is always on adding to the engine load.
Yup, I forgot about that. I used to always drive with the AC on, until I learned how much of a hit it takes on fuel economy. Now, the AC only comes on when it's excruciatingly humid and over 95, or dry and over 100. Living in FL in the past and driving the Sportwagen without AC, windows down in the Florida humidity, I got used to no AC pretty quick.

I've found that on cruise control on a relatively level surface, I'm seeing an 8-12mpg hit with the AC on.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
How much per gallon do you have to pay in Federal/state road taxes? That is not counting the first 400 gallons that are tax-free.
Lets not start this crap again. Ok, I'll play, how much do electric cars pay?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Or not. I was getting about 37mpg as well when the car was still bone stock. After doing my upgrades/improvements, that shot up to at least 39-41 locally (where the terrain is hilly), and up to 48mpg on both the east and west coasts at lower elevations and flat terrain.

Overall, I'm getting about 41mpg.

Yup, I forgot about that. I used to always drive with the AC on, until I learned how much of a hit it takes on fuel economy. Now, the AC only comes on when it's excruciatingly humid and over 95, or dry and over 100. Living in FL in the past and driving the Sportwagen without AC, windows down in the Florida humidity, I got used to no AC pretty quick.

I've found that on cruise control on a relatively level surface, I'm seeing an 8-12mpg hit with the AC on.
8-12 mpg hit? Wow, I've tried it on and off and made no noticeable difference. Somethings off.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lets not start this crap again. Ok, I'll play, how much do electric cars pay?
True, but that is beside the point. Under CURRENT law, if you make and personally use more than 400 gallons of biofuel per year you are required to pay all Federal and state road taxes, and comply with all the other rules they put on the major refiners: OSHA, EPA, etc. Also if you sell any biofuel you make then you are subject to even more rules and treated no differently than any other business.

Bottom line: make and use no more than 399 gallons (to be safe) personally per year and you should be OK. 399 gallons @ 40 mpg is 15,960 miles per year.

As for EVs, the states/provinces should just assume they get 30 miles per gallon and drive 15,000 miles per year thus "consuming" 500 gallons annually. Multiply 500 by the tax/gallon, and attach that bill to the annual registration notice. For the provinces make it 13 kilometers per liter and 24,000 kilometers per year giving an annual "consumption" of 1,846 liters per year.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
True, but that is beside the point. Under CURRENT law, if you make and personally use more than 400 gallons of biofuel per year you are required to pay all Federal and state road taxes, and comply with all the other rules they put on the major refiners: OSHA, EPA, etc. Also if you sell any biofuel you make then you are subject to even more rules and treated no differently than any other business.

Bottom line: make and use no more than 399 gallons (to be safe) personally per year and you should be OK. 399 gallons @ 40 mpg is 15,960 miles per year.

As for EVs, the states/provinces should just assume they get 30 miles per gallon and drive 15,000 miles per year thus "consuming" 500 gallons annually. Multiply 500 by the tax/gallon, and attach that bill to the annual registration notice. For the provinces make it 13 kilometers per liter and 24,000 kilometers per year giving an annual "consumption" of 1,846 liters per year.

Just hit up good old Google, seems 10 States have implemented a fee on the yearly registration to cover the gas tax loss. Found this snippet too, very interesting and a good sign.

In 2014, U.S. retail fuel stations sold the lowest volume of gasoline in the last 30 years. According to the Energy Information Administration, Americans purchased fewer than 2 million gallons per day, compared with 2.3 million in 2014 and nearly 6.2 million gallons in 2003. The University of Michigan found that despite an 8-percent population increase between 2004 and 2013—and ever more cars—fuel consumption dipped by 11 percent. The federal government complains of the highway trust fund running dry on an annual basis
We regularly cross the line and buy fuel in the US as its way cheaper, even with the exhange. :D

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just hit up good old Google, seems 10 States have implemented a fee on the yearly registration to cover the gas tax loss. Found this snippet too, very interesting and a good sign.

We regularly cross the line and buy fuel in the US as its way cheaper, even with the exhange. :D
At least one state, Oregon, is experimenting with imposing a tax based on the number of miles driven annually according to this Wikipedia article.

Well, when you buy fuel in these United States, you are helping pay for the wear and tear your vehicle is putting on the roads; unfortunately the road tax you pay per mile driven is probably effectively higher than that of a local since you normally won't use the entire tank here.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
At least one state, Oregon, is experimenting with imposing a tax based on the number of miles driven annually according to .
Our local Government brought that up, we had it quickly squashed, the public backlash was insane and rightly so.