removing only vac hose from EGR?

mitchofcanada

TDI
2000-Jetta-TDI
I found the thread somewhere on my phone but cannot re locate

Have a 2000 VW tdi jetta.

my intake and EGR were clogged they were cleaned.

Dont have an EGR delete in just yet. but wondering if i can just take off and plug the EGR vac hose which would disable the EGR but not throw any CEL.

I read that it just throws codes on 05' and later?

would be nice to know. i like the anti shutter valve system for softer shutdowns and run away safety.

cheers,

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Yep, pull the hose off the top of the egr and plug it, egr delete complete.

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
...complete with a check engine light that is

pulling the hose will throw a code 99% of the time!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...complete with a check engine light that is

pulling the hose will throw a code 99% of the time!

I think it's only if you unplug the electrical connector that happens but even then it's very rare

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
I can add...
My 0.02, direct experience with my 02 Jetta ALH- did exactly what OP indicates- pulled vacuum line from EGR and plugged it as an experiment. Result (in my case) was immediate CEL. I re-connected the vac line and left it that way. The computer somehow calculates something based on known flow via the MAF sensor, and can tell the difference.

Contrary to my own direct experience, I think I have read on here where at least one other person claims to have done the above and never got a CEL, and others who got a CEL but it went away.

You may want to consider doing the vagcom modification- it leaves the EGR functional (legality).

Lastly, but perhaps most importantly... I've read others who indicate the change to low sulfur diesel in North America a few years ago... vastly reduced the tendency for carbon accumulation in the intake. So this may be a moot point. I cleaned my intake several years ago... I should inspect it and see how it looks!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Seatman, your cars are different than ours. The ALH will absolutely set a DTC with the EGR vacuum line unplugged. I would not worry about it, however, just leave it in place and working. Chances are with the new fuel you won't have to worry about it for a very very long time.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Seatman, your cars are different than ours. The ALH will absolutely set a DTC with the EGR vacuum line unplugged. I would not worry about it, however, just leave it in place and working. Chances are with the new fuel you won't have to worry about it for a very very long time.

Yeh I'm kinda coming to that conclusion but it doesn't make any sense that they should be.

mitchofcanada

TDI
2000-Jetta-TDI
Pulled the Egr line (one off the disc ontop) and an ECL resulted. Will put it back when I can to confirm the ECL was because of this. I had nothing before.

Will stop by the vw dealer here and see if they can disable or tone down Egr as this vw idles a bit more from traffic and such.

Will be doing an Egr delete maybe but will most likely just do it with software as I want the asv kept and the Egr cooler as it heats up the coolant for cold starts. -10c to - 30c weather is on its way for a couple of months here in Alberta.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Emissions standards, as well as OBD standards, are different. We've had OBD2 since 1996 (gas) and 1997 (diesel), while Europe was still using E-OBD as recent as 2003, and even after that the readiness monitors are not necessarily the same.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I can add...
My 0.02, direct experience with my 02 Jetta ALH- did exactly what OP indicates- pulled vacuum line from EGR and plugged it as an experiment. Result (in my case) was immediate CEL. I re-connected the vac line and left it that way. The computer somehow calculates something based on known flow via the MAF sensor, and can tell the difference.

Contrary to my own direct experience, I think I have read on here where at least one other person claims to have done the above and never got a CEL, and others who got a CEL but it went away.

You may want to consider doing the vagcom modification- it leaves the EGR functional (legality).

Lastly, but perhaps most importantly... I've read others who indicate the change to low sulfur diesel in North America a few years ago... vastly reduced the tendency for carbon accumulation in the intake. So this may be a moot point. I cleaned my intake several years ago... I should inspect it and see how it looks!

Did just that ^^^ as well as unpluged the vac hose at 167k miles. Over the next 170k miles the CEL has come on about once per year pertaining to the procedure..... delete code with ScanGauge and drive on!:D

Rollincoal311

TDI
2001 Golf TDI ALH, 2.5 inch straight pipe
For myself I have 400,000kms on my late year 01 alh mk4 tdi unplugged the vac lines from the egr and asv. My brakes are better have more mid range power and haven't thrown a cel yet. I drive 340kms a day every single day aside from weekends and no issues. The brake and more power tells me I had a vac leak on one of the hoses either way hasn't hurt me any. By the way it is a Canada car

need4speed

Veteran Member
In my experience;
(03 ALH), I got a CEL when I unplugged the vac line.
I also agree with Andy Bees; running either B99, or ULSD, I don't get nearly the intake clogging I remember getting in the 2003-2005 time-range.

fossill

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Malone egr delete tune to rid the cel. From my understanding anytime the cel is on fuel economy and performance are going to suffer as the ecu retards the timing.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
If you adjust the EGR thru adapation, mpg suffers. If you want to delete the egr with no tune, do the MAF twist.

Malone egr delete tune to rid the cel. From my understanding anytime the cel is on fuel economy and performance are going to suffer as the ecu retards the timing.
Incorrect.

FYI, just got 44 mpg on a trip with the CEL on with gobs of power and high speeds, big hills, :p

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
Hmm So I have been getting an Egr related Cel that I need to dig into this weekend. I too would Love to Delete the little sucker and have no problem turning the Cel off occasionally with Vcds.
Sorry for butting in..... I hate emissions on an oil burning vehicle's!!!

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
If you adjust the EGR thru adapation, mpg suffers. If you want to delete the egr with no tune, do the MAF twist.

Incorrect.

FYI, just got 44 mpg on a trip with the CEL on with gobs of power and high speeds, big hills, :p
how?? ive got a 04, same car as you. just no mods. I drive pure highway, 120 km/h, flat line. I can only get 36 mpg. you are 30% better than me. youve got giant fuel dumping injectors, and larger tires. how does that work? summer fuel in bc still or what?!

also, not sure if the ops 2000 is the same, but with my 04. I unplugged the plug up top, and did a delete on the header side of the lower EGR pipe. this caused the opposite side of the broken lower EGR pipe to leak oil. so I blocked that side off too. now I imagine instead of the oil leaking, it just pools up, and up, and up. but what happens when it gets too full in there?

so I then deleted the upper EGR pipe via a block off plate, supposedly that fixes the problem. but as far as I know, just unplugging that upper plug would still cause oil to migrate into my lower EGR tube, then either leak if the tube is broke, or collect in there until its topped off. at that point im not sure what would happen.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
how?? ive got a 04, same car as you. just no mods. I drive pure highway, 120 km/h, flat line. I can only get 36 mpg. you are 30% better than me. youve got giant fuel dumping injectors, and larger tires. how does that work? summer fuel in bc still or what?!

also, not sure if the ops 2000 is the same, but with my 04. I unplugged the plug up top, and did a delete on the header side of the lower EGR pipe. this caused the opposite side of the broken lower EGR pipe to leak oil. so I blocked that side off too. now I imagine instead of the oil leaking, it just pools up, and up, and up. but what happens when it gets too full in there?

so I then deleted the upper EGR pipe via a block off plate, supposedly that fixes the problem. but as far as I know, just unplugging that upper plug would still cause oil to migrate into my lower EGR tube, then either leak if the tube is broke, or collect in there until its topped off. at that point im not sure what would happen.
That was on my 2000 ALH Jetta with injectors, exhaust, tune and egr delete. Tires were 205/55r16's.

Haven't modded any of my BEW's yet.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
so why are you getting so much better? totally different engine? I cant see the bigger injectors helping, and we both have deleted EGRs. my tires are 195. it must be the tune?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
so why are you getting so much better? totally different engine? I cant see the bigger injectors helping, and we both have deleted EGRs. my tires are 195. it must be the tune?
BEW's don't generally get as good as MPG as ALH's sadly. Some do but the norm is ALH is way better if you want MPG. I am going to sell my 05 and find or build an ALH wagon.

Kyleig

TDI
2001 Jetta
I just had a shop tune my 01 for this. Deleted the egr and asv and gave me 30 horse for 360$. Pretty cheap imo compared to my duramax that cost a grand to turn up by myself. They used Malone and the car runs like it never has. I unhooked the egr as soon as I got it, after cleaning the nearly completely plugged intake that is. The egr delete by itself was just 100$. Worth every penny.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Sometimes it's the "BETTER" part of the new, bigger injectors that can account for improved mileage.

Vasu

TDI
2002 Golf 2 door manual
I found the thread somewhere on my phone but cannot re locate

Have a 2000 VW tdi jetta.

my intake and EGR were clogged they were cleaned.

Dont have an EGR delete in just yet. but wondering if i can just take off and plug the EGR vac hose which would disable the EGR but not throw any CEL.

I read that it just throws codes on 05' and later?

would be nice to know. i like the anti shutter valve system for softer shutdowns and run away safety.

cheers,
Plugged my EGR vacuum, No CEL since it's an 2002, Noticable difference the first drive.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Same with my formerly owned 2000 Jetta and my present 2003 Jetta. However, they will throw a code two or three times per year!........ scan and clear!

Vasu

TDI
2002 Golf 2 door manual
I can add...

My o2 Golf went 3 full days of driving with No CEL after I plugged the Vacuum line on the EGR. The performance difference was amazing, Might just leave it plugged. I cannot do a delete because of physical injuries and know of No one around here that will do it. I have also been warned of Exhaust Temps. with a delete, anyone heard this? Thanks

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have also been warned of Exhaust Temps. with a delete, anyone heard this? Thanks
So, who did you hear that from? Seriously!
I cannot imagine why deleting the EGR or it's function would cause Exhaust Temps (whatever that means).
And, I've not seen any improvement in performance after EGR mods......... never, just long term clean Intake!