The 600k exclusive club!

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
He doesn't have that kind of data. That's what is commonly called an opinion. Rotella T6 is a good oil. For somebody to make a blanket statement that another oil is vastly superior to Rotella makes me think he is getting a paycheck from that company. :)

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
True, no concrete data, just personal observations. Which is what was requested. ;)

But my current stock cam has over 350k on it now and just last month when I did a timing belt change, and I inspected the cam it looked fantastic. No pitting, no scoring, looked great. Previous cam made it to 300k (pitting), but it had T6 @ 7k OCI, then I switched to Schaeffer's roughly around 230k and went to 10k OCI.

In the 11 years I've specialized in TDI's, your average ALH cam lasts 200k, if the customer has used a good oil and followed a regular OCI, then 300k tops (at least from all the cars I've ever seen).

Currently I personally own 14 TDI's :eek:, some are daily drivers, most are projects, some are wrecked parts cars, miles ranging from 150k-660k. I've seen all types of oils ran, never seen a cam last as long or wear as good except when using Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 5w40 synthetic oil.

Personal observations, regarding my personal car, YRMV.

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
He doesn't have that kind of data. That's what is commonly called an opinion. Rotella T6 is a good oil. For somebody to make a blanket statement that another oil is vastly superior to Rotella makes me think he is getting a paycheck from that company. :)
Paycheck? I wish, lol. :D I can understand why people like T6, cheap, readily available, but superior to Schaeffer's? Not in my book. ;)

But as I've said many times before, put whatever oil you like into your car, it's a free country. :) Personally I like Schaeffer's oil, and think it's a fantastic product which is superior to other oils I've used.

Seriously though unless you have tried Schaeffer's oil, don't knock it. I've at least personally used every oil I talk about.

In an effort to try and get the topic back onto high mileage cars vs oil discussions, lol, I have an update on my car. Finally decided to replace my MAF sensor, it was not giving me any symptoms of being bad, but my fuel mileage has been suffering for quite awhile lately. Checked all the usual suspects, even tested the MAF and everything tested out great. So I finally decided to swap out the MAF with a new one on the shelf, gained back my MPG. Now I'm back up to averaging 47-48 MPG (70+ MPH, with 200-300 lbs of tools/parts).

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
Paycheck? I wish, lol. :D I can understand why people like T6, cheap, readily available, but superior to Schaeffer's? Not in my book. ;)
But as I've said many times before, put whatever oil you like into your car, it's a free country. :) Personally I like Schaeffer's oil, and think it's a fantastic product which is superior to other oils I've used.
Seriously though unless you have tried Schaeffer's oil, don't knock it. I've at least personally used every oil I talk about.
In an effort to try and get the topic back onto high mileage cars vs oil discussions, lol, I have an update on my car. Finally decided to replace my MAF sensor, it was not giving me any symptoms of being bad, but my fuel mileage has been suffering for quite awhile lately. Checked all the usual suspects, even tested the MAF and everything tested out great. So I finally decided to swap out the MAF with a new one on the shelf, gained back my MPG. Now I'm back up to averaging 47-48 MPG (70+ MPH, with 200-300 lbs of tools/parts).
No. I meant the oil you use being vastly superior to T6. I don't see how it would be. But i think it's great that you are seeing differences in oil. I may give your oil a try in the future, depending on price.

Back to topic, my car only has around 230k on it. But my mpg has been a bit low lately. I've tried everything. I'd like to say mine is the maf too. But I hesitate to spend money on something that isn't bad.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
vwjettadsl...what had your MPG dropped to with "bad" MAF?

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
I'm just (mean my TDI) over 240,000 miles. So - we have to go many more miles. Right now the car is just under 400,000 km. I hope to make it to about 800,000 km in my lifetime. Just got a new clutch and DMF (LUK) last week. It's like a new car. The last 300,000 km the oil was TOTAL. I will stay with it as long as I drive to my GURU in Vancouver.

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
MPG had dropped all the way down to 41-45 MPG. I check mileage every fill-up, its been getting worse over the past 6-7 months. What was frustrating is the MPG would be great once in awhile and I would think I had finally figured it out, then back to being low again. But since the MAF change the worst tank I've gotten has been 45.2 MPG, and that was driving 70-75 MPH into a 20+MPH headwind 75% of the tank.

Panther, I got my MAF here: http://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=0281002757

They had the best price I could find. :)

sledhead999

TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDI Auto
Yeah, I reset the trip meter so it would read 600,000 & 600.

Last year I drove 70k miles in my Jetta, plus the miles I put on my F250 truck, 03 Golf TDI, & 01 Golf TDI. Yeah, lot of driving, lol. Did I mention I travel doing mobile service work? :) I work on TDI's most of the time, plus I have another part-time that comes with an 8 state territory. Needless to say, I get around quite a bit. ;)

I'll have to try and wash the car and post a pic, its still in amazingly good shape considering its a 16 year old car with 600k+. Not perfect by any means, but solid.

Btw, I use Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 5w40 synthetic oil, best oil I've used by far. (Not trying to start an argument about oils) I switched to it back around 250k, I used mobil & rotella 5w40 oils prior to that.

Also I modded the car right after I bought it at 172k. Currently has VNT17 turbo, Malone Stage 4 tune, PP764's, G60/VR6 clutch kit (431k and counting), .681 5th gear, towing hitch, 1" lift, wagon springs & more stuff that I'm probably forgetting. :)

Lifetime average of 46 MPG.

Cheers,
Ben
I know you don't want this to be an oil thread, and you touched on the differences you've noticed with the T6 vs 9000. Can you elaborate more on the Mobil1 vs Schaeffer's oil differences?

I'm new to the TDI world. The PO has only run Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck the entire life of my '04. It's still on the original cam, and I'm reading that's pretty good for the BEW engine.

I know some of the best trans builders in the country use Schaeffer's oil in their competition use pulling trucks! I'm tempted to order some and send both Mobil and Schaeffer's off for analysis.

Thanks! We value your opinion :)

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
I know you don't want this to be an oil thread, and you touched on the differences you've noticed with the T6 vs 9000. Can you elaborate more on the Mobil1 vs Schaeffer's oil differences?
I'm new to the TDI world. The PO has only run Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck the entire life of my '04. It's still on the original cam, and I'm reading that's pretty good for the BEW engine.
I know some of the best trans builders in the country use Schaeffer's oil in their competition use pulling trucks! I'm tempted to order some and send both Mobil and Schaeffer's off for analysis.
Thanks! We value your opinion :)
I don't have a lot of personal experience with Mobil 1 TDT, I used it a couple of times a long time ago in one of my cars, but for the price I'd rather have Schaeffer's. Only thing I don't like about TDT is the "yellow" staining it leaves under the valve cover, lol. I can always tell when a customer uses TDT when I first pop off the valve cover, it's annoying. Haha

Maybe someone with more firsthand experience can chime in about TDT.

Also I'm going to have to replace my tires soon, I have 105k miles on my Michelin Defenders, which are only a 90k mile rated tire. Been very, very pleased with them. Expensive, but worth it if you drive a lot and have a really good alignment. I'm gonna try and squeeze out another 10k before I get another set.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
MAF can be checked/verified via VCDS.

Oil is part of the equation. How you drive, especially how you get your vehicle up to operating temp, makes a huge difference: I recall someone on this forum saying that they just get in and floor it!:eek: After reading an excellent article on oil as per Ferrari's take on what oil to use I have a LOT better understanding of what happens with oil and what is most important. Anyway... driving style, environment and driving conditions matter a LOT.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Maybe someone with more firsthand experience can chime in about TDT.
Only in my ALHs -- can't speak for PDs. But through 58 oil changes, 55 of them have been Mobil 1 5w40 or Mobil Delvac 1 5w40. Plus one Castrol, one Total/Elf, and one bulk 5w40 that was probably Castrol (that led to a shorter-than-normal oil change interval).

IMO it's good oil at a reasonable price. About $26/gallon for TDT at Walmarts, $24/gallon for Delvac 1 at Mills Fleet Farm.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
guys on cumminsforum also love Schaeffers oil... it seems to have an awesome reputation in the diesel world, no matter what vehicle you drive.

sledhead999

TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDI Auto
Only in my ALHs -- can't speak for PDs. But through 58 oil changes, 55 of them have been Mobil 1 5w40 or Mobil Delvac 1 5w40. Plus one Castrol, one Total/Elf, and one bulk 5w40 that was probably Castrol (that led to a shorter-than-normal oil change interval).
IMO it's good oil at a reasonable price. About $26/gallon for TDT at Walmarts, $24/gallon for Delvac 1 at Mills Fleet Farm.
That's great news. I think I will continue to use Mobil1 TDT. Its easy to get at Walmart for me. I have a timing belt change coming up quick, I think I will pop the valve cover and inspect the cam for wear and pitting. Other than that, at 251k miles, the PD TDI seems to run great!

saltwater46

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Another Goal

Here I was, so proud of myself pushing 350K on my 2000 Jetta, that I thought I was already in an exclusive club. Damn, you make me feel like, I don't know...... Well anyway, now I have another goal for my car. Congratulations on the 600K club. I now have something to make me know that I can do it too. My wife says I'll never sell this car, and she's right. It's much more fun working on it in retirement than when I had to rush to get 'er done. The ol' girl is asking for a new clutch and another TB service, so I figure I'll be busy this fall, and maybe I'll even get her some new control arm bushings and upper strut mounts. It's kinda like a boob job and new teeth at this stage of the game (and I'm not talkin' about the wife...yet).

NoSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2K2 Golf
I'm just (mean my TDI) over 240,000 miles. So - we have to go many more miles. Right now the car is just under 400,000 km. I hope to make it to about 800,000 km in my lifetime. Just got a new clutch and DMF (LUK) last week. It's like a new car. The last 300,000 km the oil was TOTAL. I will stay with it as long as I drive to my GURU in Vancouver.
My 02 is at 430KKm now and is getting to feel like it needs a clutch. I've been quoted $1,500 here in Calgary (at a "guru" shop). Was wondering what you paid (assuming parts + labour)?

TDI smile

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
My 02 is at 430KKm now and is getting to feel like it needs a clutch. I've been quoted $1,500 here in Calgary (at a "guru" shop). Was wondering what you paid (assuming parts + labour)?

Parts: Clutch Kit / with DMF = $ 532.12
Clutch Lever = $ 33.98
Labour = $ 151.50

TDI smile

Veteran Member
TDI
Good grief, only $151 for labour?? :eek: Any chance of getting your guru's name and contact info? I might be willing to drive to Vancouver for that kind of a deal.

Thanks!
That's what my Bill says. Give him a BUZZ: IB MOTORS on Shaughnessy
It's close to Vancouver Airport. Labour inc. change of Starter too.
Was on 4 MAR 2016
2nd Page: Labour TOTAL: $ 757.50

Makes more sense!

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
WOW! I paid someone $300 AND I helped! (yeah, yeah, I know someone is going to say it...)

If this isn't some sort of typo (and they do good work) then I'd have to consider them (wife's car)! And with the USD/CAD exchange rate that would only ding me for $115?

NoSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2K2 Golf
That's what my Bill says. Give him a BUZZ: IB MOTORS on Shaughnessy
It's close to Vancouver Airport. Labour inc. change of Starter too.
Was on 4 MAR 2016
2nd Page: Labour TOTAL: $ 757.50

Makes more sense!
Got a quote from them:

Clutch c/w dual mass flywheel = $1,200
T-belt c/w water pump = $900

Not sure I understand your post - what did the $151 and $757 actually cover?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
TornadoRed, welcome to the 600k club! :)
Thanks, Ben. I have to admit, 600k feels more exclusive than 500k. I've seen Toyota Echos and Tacoma pickups with 500k miles -- I just hate to think how horrible it must have been to drive one of them for so long.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Nice going, Red!!!! Our original 2003 wagon's 'only' up to 531xxx miles, since we've been driving mostly our other 2003 wagon the past 2+ years... Unfortunately, they both show the effects of the ravages of the copious amounts of salt the provinces put on the roads up here... :(

Yuri

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
What? No pictures?! These threads are not for unrelated talks about the prices of repairs, etc. please only use them to announce that your car has made the journey this far. And post some pictures, and stories of getting this far! That why people read these! :cool: Just sayin'

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Rollback successful -- all set for another 400k miles.

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
Mine failed at 172k, replaced it with a Sachs VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel kit and haven't had problems since.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It depends on how you drive, I think. Stop-and-go traffic is harder on clutches than long highway commutes.