Flashing glow plug light

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Our glow plug light comes on occasionally when driving our 2010 Jetta TDI.

Came on today but turned off every time I stopped. When I went to turn onto our street, it went off; battery light came on, and I saw the engine had died. Had downshifted into 3rd; so I just let clutch out to restart the engine.

Anyone know what might be going on?

First time the engine has died like that.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Get the codes read. Maybe you are just stalling the car?

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Not sure I can get a code when it doesn't stay on. Had code checked recently when the turbo boost blew one (went back off after; now okay). He didn't mention any other codes sitting there.

Today was the first time the engine died during a downshift.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Is the glow plug light coming on steady, or flashing?

Flashing is a "fix me asap" check engine light, and there are almost always codes stored to help you figure out what's wrong.

Searching on "Flashing glow plug" should bring up a ton more info on all the various possible causes, should you want to dig in deeper.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Sorry, not flashing. It just dings and comes on. Stops if car is stopped or for sure stops if stop, turn off ignition and restart.

This is the first time, the engine stalled on a downshift with the light on (NOT flashing).

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Just thinking out loud here... "braking" and GP light... I know that the MKIVs will trigger flashing GP light if there's a brake issue. Maybe a brake switch or a contact on one of the bulbs is flaky? (I had broken wires in the wire harness to the hatch on one of my MKIVs)