I just got back from Elizabethtown, PA to Breckenridge, CO and back total 4100 miles

dieselsRus

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5-Spd
We decided to drive on our summer vacation this year and I don't know if I'll do it again. The way out was fun, but the way home was looooong!

No mechanical problems but in kansas I filled up and made it to our destination on the same tank and my car started funny and was really underpowered, I just thought it was the high altitude that was making it like that, until I filled up with some cononco diesel and it was running like a champ. Please nobody fill up diesel in western kansas!

I also turned over 100,000 miles on the way out!

Colorado is beautiful, and I saw many TDI's. I came out a few times once at a trail and another at the marina and tdi wagons parked right next to my tdi wagon, I thought on purpose, but who knows.

70-85 MPH the whole way and averaged 35-40 MPG with the a/c on and bike racks on top but I smashed the bikes in the rear to save MPG's. Is this normal I never get over 40 MPG with my 04 wagon?

1800 miles each way and a 400 mile day to the national park and to denver for the day and roughly 100 around Breck equals 4100 total miles in two weeks!

Last edited:

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
dieselsRus: What a trip...!

To get that mileage, do you have the 5th gear MOD. in your B4 Variant?

That is what "we" do..., park next to another TDI for the :cool:'ness effect and moral support of having a great vehicle .

Did you see another B4 Variant very similar to yours in Colorado(Boulder/Denver area?) either was mine or Hans's(Longmont).

Do you have an EXTRA fuel filter with you IN the Variant? That is a must if you don't .

Keep it up and good tripping...!

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
dieselsRus said:
70-85 MPH the whole way and averaged 35-40 MPG with the a/c on and bike racks on top but I smashed the bikes in the rear to save MPG's. Is this normal I never get over 40 MPG with my 04 wagon?
QUOTE]

Yep. For me, 40 is about the best I've done loaded down and moving 70-85...
Sounds like a great trip!

Nocky

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Did you get up some of the mountain roads? If so how did it run?:confused:

dieselsRus

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5-Spd
Nocky said:
Did you get up some of the mountain roads? If so how did it run?:confused:
When I first got to the rockies, it was running really doggy and actually had to down shift and put it to the metal on I70 just to keep up with traffic. It was really wierd, I tought it was due to the elevation. Then I had a brilliant idea "bad fuel" I put some treatment in and filled it up, and it ran like a new one then. Don't buy fuel in Kansas is my feedback to all.

We also drove through the national park (some roads reach 12,000 feet) and the car ran great.