ecu swap? 2000 alh ecu into 2002 car possible?

arcticcat93

Veteran Member
TDI
06 V10 Touareg
before i kill myself in google searches and part number comparisons i figured someone on here would have a quick answer. i picked up a 2000 jetta tdi parts car to use the 5 speed swap on a friends 2002 auto golf. the ecu from the 2000 jetta has a tune in it, so i figured it was worth looking into if they are interchangable, even with some tweeks. i have full version vag-com and all the components from both cars.

thanks in advance

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The immobilizer is of a different generation between 2000 and 2002. There's other changes too (e.g. the ABS pump), but I think this is the main one that would throw a wrench into the works. I haven't checked, but I'd bet the connectors at the ECU changed also.

If the Y2K car is being otherwise parted, perhaps the best way to go about it is to sell the ECU and put the $$ toward a tune for the 2002 after construction is complete.

Cheers,

PH

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The 2000 ECU will fit, but you'd have to have a tuner either reset or delete the immobilizer or the car won't run. And the '02 has a different glow plug system so you'll get a fault for that. Also, I'm not sure the cruise will work with the earlier ecu.

Powder Hound as a good idea. Sell it and get a correct one.

arcticcat93

Veteran Member
TDI
06 V10 Touareg
Thanks guys, the sell and replace will probably be what we do. I was thinking immobilizer was different but wasnt sure about the others.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
What if you swapped the ecu and cluster and the immo ring and the chip from the key? Surely that would work? I mean the immo is in the ecu and cluster isn't it? There's nothing else.

arcticcat93

Veteran Member
TDI
06 V10 Touareg
That doesnt address the differences with abs and glow plug wiring. For the sake of the cost of a tune its not really worth getting into swapping wiring and a bunch of parts to make it work.