Tdi resale?

OhioCoalRoller

TDI
2000 Golf gls tdi
Alright i have just blown my auto trans and am probley going to put another auto in it and sell it, 4dr golf gls heated seats monsoon brand new tires cloth interior 114k miles, really good car but i dont have time for a 5spd swap but anyways Dubwerx is goin to put in the trans that has a 2 year warranty... any opinions?

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
OhioCoalRoller said:
Alright i have just blown my auto trans and am probley going to put another auto in it and sell it, 4dr golf gls heated seats monsoon brand new tires cloth interior 114k miles, really good car but i dont have time for a 5spd swap but anyways Dubwerx is goin to put in the trans that has a 2 year warranty... any opinions?
If you're going to sell it, why are you putting a transmission it it? Why not just drive it another 100k.

OhioCoalRoller

TDI
2000 Golf gls tdi
looked at your sig and i dont want to get into an argument, im done with autos period. haha

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
OhioCoalRoller said:
looked at your sig and i dont want to get into an argument, im done with autos period. haha
Okay, understandable. So why not just sell it as is rather than dumping a grand a more (I'm assuming that you're going to buy a used a trans) into it?? Do you really think that you'll recoup your expenses?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If someone else is doing the work, why not go for the manual swap? If you have that in, you would either decide you still like the car and don't need to sell it, or you'd get a better price when you sell it.

Alternatively, if you want to stay with the auto swap, hope you get a really sweet deal.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
OhioCoalRoller said:
so anyways how much do you guys think i could get out of my car?
I'm guessing your car is <2003 and even in decent condition not enough to pay for a new tranny. Your better off doing what others told you and swapping for a 5 speed and continue driving. Dumping that kind of money into a 8+ year old car just to sell wont work out in your favor, unless your doing the work yourself.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
BadMonKey said:
I'm guessing your car is <2003 and even in decent condition not enough to pay for a new tranny. Your better off doing what others told you and swapping for a 5 speed and continue driving. Dumping that kind of money into a 8+ year old car just to sell wont work out in your favor, unless your doing the work yourself.
How about a used auto trans and then trade?

OhioCoalRoller

TDI
2000 Golf gls tdi
Yeah sorry about the lack of info, my car is a 2000.5, actually had a 2001 FDB code trans in it, and im getting a rebuilt trans for 1900 and add 400-500 to install it so it isnt as bad as i thought, ... and yatzee youre not my english teacher..

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
OhioCoalRoller said:
Yeah sorry about the lack of info, my car is a 2000.5, actually had a 2001 FDB code trans in it, and im getting a rebuilt trans for 1900 and add 400-500 to install it so it isnt as bad as i thought, ... and yatzee youre not my english teacher..
Its bad because your replacing garbage with garbage! Do you have no soul knowing it fail again on whoever buys it?

I still don't understand why you just don't do the manual swap and keep driving it. Your investing $2,500 into a car that might sell for around $5K once you find someone interested in a autobox Golf?

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
OhioCoalRoller said:
The price would depend on the maintenance done or not done and a bunch of answers to questions including all of the below. Has the timing belt been changed (if so, by whom? and when? (i.e. at what mileage and month/year)). Brakes ever changed? Brake fluid ever flushed? Oil used? interval of oil change? Original Tires/replacement tires & Brand?

Sunroof? Steelies? any upgrades? any body damage/rust? Condition of Paint? Clear title/salvage title? Condition of Interior? Anything on the Car broken (besides the sh*tpile 01m8u2 tranny)? MIL(s)? Pictures?

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
FL2AK-tdi said:
If you're going to sell it, why are you putting a transmission it it? Why not just drive it another 100k.
He needs to fix the car first to make it driveable again, whether or not he keeps the car afterwards. OTOH, it's a good opportunity to consider doing a 5-speed manual swap! :cool:

As for resale value, I can't help. I haven't looked at resale values recently since my 2 TDIs aren't for sale.

Good luck.

Last edited:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
n1das said:
He needs to fix the car first to make it driveable again, whether or not he keeps the car afterwards. OTOH, it's a good opportunity to consider doing a 5-speed manual swap! :cool:

As for resale value, I can't help. I haven't looked at resale values recently since my 2 TDIs aren't for sale.

Good luck.
I fully understood that the car needs to be made drivable prior to selling or trading. I suggested finding a used auto trans for that purpose. I believe that one was recently sold here for under a thousand dollars.

A good opportunity....

Why would you even consider thinking about even maybe possibly changing to a manual unless you wanted to drive a car with a manual?

Remember, he's talking about resale value. How do you suppose that having a manual trans in a car whose VIN says it's supposed to have an auto trans is going to effect resale value?

This manual swap hysteria has gotten absolutely ridiculous. (You can quote me on that.)

I love how you guys try to tell new mmebers that a TDI is worth less if it's due for a TB change, yet, somehow, the car is worth more if it has a manual trans in it. The reality is that NADA, Kelly, and auction history set the resale and trade values for all cars, (not, according to local custom, TDI club opinion) and ALL of those reflect a diminished value for any vehicle with a manual trans. That's not me talking, that's the industry. I suspect that it would e even worse if the equipment on the car doesn't match the VIN equipment list.

PS: nowhere in NADA, et al does it mention anything about has the TB been done or, more specifically, WHO did the TB. It only mentions if the car is in good, working order and has no major defects. A used TB is not a defect, neither is an auto trans.

A good opportunity to swap for a manual...pathetisad.

Last edited:

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
FL2AK-tdi said:
HOORAY!!! We're saved! Whatever.

Why spend another 500 on a car you know you're going to sell or trade?

Cheapest way out-junkyard auto trans.
Wow; the AK winter has you all snippy today!

Its not what the book values the car at but what the market will pay for it. The market for TDI's is really soft anyways and add the auto in the mix and its even softer. Good luck trying to sell it, over half the buyers wont even consider a auto.

He's screwed either way IMO, the reason i suggested getting the 5 speed swap and continue driving it.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Good luck trying to find a M01 auto that works.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
BadMonKey said:
Wow; the AK winter has you all snippy today!

Its not what the book values the car at but what the market will pay for it. The market for TDI's is really soft anyways and add the auto in the mix and its even softer. Good luck trying to sell it, over half the buyers wont even consider a auto.

He's screwed either way IMO, the reason i suggested getting the 5 speed swap and continue driving it.
LOL, I"m down in FL at the moment, for grad school; I won't be back in AK till early June.

Don't take this personally, but I would really like to seem some concrete, empirical, peer-reviewed, evidence to support your claim that "...over half the buyers wont even consider an auto."

Do you have some published study that proves, perhaps by comparing the time that identical cars (excepting the trans of course) sit on dealer lots, or are listed on auto trader? What quantitative evidence do you offer to support your opinion that more than half of American car buyers prefer manual transmissions?

Secondly, while it is true that the true value of any item is what you can get someone to pay for it, book values act as a guide in setting value. On occasions, extenuating circumstances might negate or nullify book and auction values of a specific model, (the current Toyota fiasco comes to mind) across the board, prudent people are not going to may far more than book value, nor are they going ot sell their cars for far less than book value. And again, book values are increased, across the board, for vehicles with auto trans, much in the same way they are increased by lower than average mileage.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
MonsterTDI09 said:
Good luck trying to find a M01 auto that works.
It can be done. Quite honestly, he could pull a trans from a gasser and put it in. The rpms won't be right, but he's selling it.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If you are worried about resale value, a TDI is the wrong car for you. Just drive it and maintain it till the wheels fall off, then get another. If you plan on keeping it, fix it correctly (5 or 6 speed manual preferred) and keep on driving it.

If your going to get rid of it, let the next owner worry about fixing it. Just KBB the value as if the trans was still working and then subtract the value for the new trans and labor and sell it for that. Should find someone that would love to convert it to a manual trans.

I find it amazing that KBB values A/Ts at a higher value than a manual. The car was never designed for a slushbox. I guess it was a concession VOA had to accept to play in the American market.

The auto transmissions are really a weak point in these cars. If you don't buy a new trans, you will be setting the next owner up for problems. The rebuilt ones suffer from infant mortality and the used one are really a crap shoot. Usually, these trannys start to crap out at about 120K miles give or take, even with proper maintenance.

Put an add in the For Sale forum and see if you get any takers that work with the money you need to get back...........................

Nuff said.:D

Last edited:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
FL2AK-tdi said:
It can be done. Quite honestly, he could pull a trans from a gasser and put it in. The rpms won't be right, but he's selling it.
There is a special place in hell for people that do that and think that way. Frankly, I am sick and tired of people that go through life trying to con, scam and screw people under the auspices of "I got mine". Integrity matters.

Fl2ak-tdi said:
Why would you even consider thinking about even maybe possibly changing to a manual unless you wanted to drive a car with a manual?

Remember, he's talking about resale value. How do you suppose that having a manual trans in a car whose VIN says it's supposed to have an auto trans is going to effect resale value?

This manual swap hysteria has gotten absolutely ridiculous. (You can quote me on that.)

I love how you guys try to tell new mmebers that a TDI is worth less if it's due for a TB change, yet, somehow, the car is worth more if it has a manual trans in it. The reality is that NADA, Kelly, and auction history set the resale and trade values for all cars, (not, according to local custom, TDI club opinion) and ALL of those reflect a diminished value for any vehicle with a manual trans. That's not me talking, that's the industry. I suspect that it would e even worse if the equipment on the car doesn't match the VIN equipment list.

PS: nowhere in NADA, et al does it mention anything about has the TB been done or, more specifically, WHO did the TB. It only mentions if the car is in good, working order and has no major defects. A used TB is not a defect, neither is an auto trans.....
Sigh ..... Really?

First, NADA is a measuring stick ..... not a conclusive "you will get $$$ for your vehicle". It is pretty much accepted that the 02J manual transmissions is more valuable and has far less problems than the 01m8u2 auto. Resale value and potential buyers are lost when the tdi car is equipped with an 01m8u2. These points are demonstrated everyday in cars that sell (and don't sell) on the classified section of this Board.

Second, do you really believe that someone is going to pay the same amount for a tdi car that is overdo for a TB as they would for one just done by a Guru? You can also throw neglected maintenance into that equation as well. Look, I understand that every rule has an exception --- PT Barnum summed that up quite well, but you are just flat out wrong here --- sorry.

An uneducated buyer is a dealerships' best one time customer. Once they realize they were screwed, they usually buy elsewhere (and tell everyone they know about the ethics of that dealership). Frankly, most people are sick and tired of people offloading hangar queens. When I bought my 1998 I didn't care to ask about the maintenance or the condition of the car for a simple reason --- I was tired of hearing liars, lie about the condition (maintenance) of their car; I was tired of people claiming that the maintenance was done, only to admit that it wasn't upon pointed questions (or ignore those pointed questions, because they were looking for a Chumpion to buy their car). A person's time has value and wasting that time with bullsh*t is wrong.

I said outright, that I was looking for the biggest pile of crap that could be pushed, pulled or towed to me and I would pay accordingly. That way, everyone is happy and there are no surprises and bullsh*t about neglected maintenance or the condition of the car.

As a seller, you should not fear questions about your car and as a buyer you should expect not to have to play 20 questions to get answers --- before wasting your time to go and see the car. Check out this thread, it embodies what I am talking about and addresses what could happen to an unsuspecting buyer when a seller takes your proposed advice:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=275530

Unfortunately, people like to claim NADA values should apply, even though the maintenance was neglected. IMHO, that ranks their car at the bottom of the value list --- right there by those equipped with the legendary sh*tpile of fail 01m8u2 trannies.

Your reputation (i.e. your word, your handshake) is built by how you deal and treat others. The reason that used car salesman and politicians are at the bottom of the food chain (even below lawyers) is that they have earned their reputations through their mis-deeds. But alas, those are my opinions and I could be wrong ....... (end of lecture).

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
FL2AK-tdi said:
LOL, I"m down in FL at the moment, for grad school; I won't be back in AK till early June.

Don't take this personally, but I would really like to seem some concrete, empirical, peer-reviewed, evidence to support your claim that "...over half the buyers wont even consider an auto."

Do you have some published study that proves, perhaps by comparing the time that identical cars (excepting the trans of course) sit on dealer lots, or are listed on auto trader? What quantitative evidence do you offer to support your opinion that more than half of American car buyers prefer manual transmissions?
LoL; that's just what someone says that owns a autotragic VW.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
thebigarniedog said:
There is a special place in hell for people that do that and think that way. Frankly, I am sick and tired of people that go through life trying to con, scam and screw people under the auspices of "I got mine". Integrity matters.
LOL, I tend to agree with you, Arnie. Please note that I didn't say that this was the RIGHT thing to do, or even that this is what I would do, just that this is an option.

thebigarniedog said:
These points are demonstrated everyday in cars that sell (and don't sell) on the classified section of this Board.
Which is my point EXACTLY. ON THIS BOARD. Not the rest of the world. Every measuring stick and value guide assigns a higher value to every car that has an auto trans. This has nothing to do with product quality. I suspect that it is connected to overall desirability of the average American car buyer. (Demand side of the supply and demand theory.)

thebigarniedog said:
Second, do you really believe that someone is going to pay the same amount for a tdi car that is overdo for a TB as they would for one just done by a Guru? You can also throw neglected maintenance into that equation as well. Look, I understand that every rule has an exception --- PT Barnum summed that up quite well, but you are just flat out wrong here --- sorry.
Well that depends on how well a buyer has done his research, doesn't it. But again, every measuring stick and resale value indicator has an adjustment for cars in "disrepair," and they also define disrepair as major mechanical PROBLEMS, such as oil leaking through the block or, in this case, a failed transmission. Simply requiring scheduled maintenance is not typically a "problem."

thebigarniedog said:
Unfortunately, people like to claim NADA values should apply, even though the maintenance was neglected.
Of course it applies, Arnie. The reason that it applies is that it is a relatively unbiased, national, dependable resource guide. Similar cars, in similar states of repair, are selling for, or going at auction for, those prioces all over the country. Why should a seller's car be valued less simply because some TDIClub "guru" whatever that's worth outside of TDIClub, disagrees with the nationwide trend?

I will not address, or quote, your other statements here because I completely agree with them. Honesty is important, and used car salesman, among other,s have a reputation for dishonesty.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
BadMonKey said:
LoL; that's just what someone says that owns a autotragic VW.
I'll take this response as your way of responding to my question in the negative; you don't really have any data to support your statement, do you?

PS: I'm not here defending the 01M transmission; I'm here attacking the tdiClub-specific notion that a car with an auto trans is somehow worth less thana car with a manual trans.

Which reminds me: does this sound familiar: "...it even has the highly desirable, and very rare, automatic transmission." LOLOLOL

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
FL2AK-tdi said:
.....Which is my point EXACTLY. ON THIS BOARD. Not the rest of the world. Every measuring stick and value guide assigns a higher value to every car that has an auto trans. This has nothing to do with product quality. I suspect that it is connected to overall desirability of the average American car buyer. (Demand side of the supply and demand theory.) ..... Of course it applies, Arnie. The reason that it applies is that it is a relatively unbiased, national, dependable resource guide. Similar cars, in similar states of repair, are selling for, or going at auction for, those prioces all over the country. Why should a seller's car be valued less simply because some TDIClub "guru" whatever that's worth outside of TDIClub, disagrees with the nationwide trend? .....
The problem with your analysis Flak is that the NADA is looking across the spectrum (gassers-diesel) of VWs and the predelection of Americans to drive automatics. Hence, NADA assigns more value by market weight to the 97% of the vehicles out there that are not tdis (i.e. to the gassers that the majority of Americans will stop driving when the odo hits 100(k) miles).

This board is TDI specific and the question is TDI based. Therefore the measuring rod is limited to the 3% of people that are interested in the TDI (where life is just beginning at 100(k) miles and the 01m8u2 will soon being dying).

What I am saying is that you are wrong .......

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
FL2AK-tdi said:
I'll take this response as your way of responding to my question in the negative; you don't really have any data to support your statement, do you?

PS: I'm not here defending the 01M transmission; I'm here attacking the tdiClub-specific notion that a car with an auto trans is somehow worth less thana car with a manual trans.

Which reminds me: does this sound familiar: "...it even has the highly desirable, and very rare, automatic transmission." LOLOLOL
Yep you got me; i didn't really run a study on it, no one wanted to fund it:)

All i know after selling my Golf was 90% of the individuals calling about it had the 1st question of "is it a manual" even though it was listed in the add. They wanted to be sure before making the effort to see it in person! Everyone i know with a Golf/rabbit/GTI has a manual tranny. It just fits the car IMO. Those that are interested in auto's really tend to own Honda's or Toyota's. I would put money down that if you ran a random study the average TDI buyer wants a manual tranny over automatic regardless of their crappyness.

Last edited:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
thebigarniedog said:
...the predelection of Americans to drive automatics.
BINGO!!!! What do you know, somebody was listening. Which is why ANY, let me repeat that, just in case readers were only skimming, ANY car with an auto trans will have a bump in resale value.

thebigarniedog said:
Hence, NADA assigns more value by market weight to the 97% of the vehicles out there that are not tdis (i.e. to the gassers that the majority of Americans will stop driving when the odo hits 100(k) miles).
They set the value of a used TDI. They recognize the bump in value that the diesel engine gets, because it costs more to buy a diesel powered vehicle. What they don't recognized is some notion that TDI drivers prefer manual transmissions. The resale value is set for the general car market. Your TDI is not "special" on autotrader; it's listed among thousands of other cars.

thebigarniedog said:
This board is TDI specific and the question is TDI based.
Umm, no the question is resale value. TDIClub does not set a measuring rod for resale value. That's what NADA, KBB, et al do. (Ona side note, TDIClub excels in its breadth and depth of knowledge base about all things TDI, but it does not set car values. For example: if one were shopping for a used TDI, this would be a superb reference guide as to what to look for and one may well choose not to buy an auto trans equipped TDI after reading more than one post here. But that has nothing to do with resale value.)

Look at it this way. Let's pretend, for a moment, that your TDI with the manual trans gets totaled in an accident. Do you honestly believe that the insurance adjuster is going to say, "oh Arnie, I didn't know you had a manual trans, it's worth more because auto transmissions are less reliable. Here's an extra grand." No. They're going to give you the median value for your car, which will be less because it has a manual trans.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
FL2AK-tdi said:
BINGO!!!! What do you know, somebody was listening. Which is why ANY, let me repeat that, just in case readers were only skimming, ANY car with an auto trans will have a bump in resale value.... They set the value of a used TDI. They recognize the bump in value that the diesel engine gets, because it costs more to buy a diesel powered vehicle. What they don't recognized is some notion that TDI drivers prefer manual transmissions. The resale value is set for the general car market. Your TDI is not "special" on autotrader; it's listed among thousands of other cars...... Umm, no the question is resale value. TDIClub does not set a measuring rod for resale value. That's what NADA, KBB, et al do. (Ona side note, TDIClub excels in its breadth and depth of knowledge base about all things TDI, but it does not set car values. For example: if one were shopping for a used TDI, this would be a superb reference guide as to what to look for and one may well choose not to buy an auto trans equipped TDI after reading more than one post here. But that has nothing to do with resale value.)

Look at it this way. Let's pretend, for a moment, that your TDI with the manual trans gets totaled in an accident. Do you honestly believe that the insurance adjuster is going to say, "oh Arnie, I didn't know you had a manual trans, it's worth more because auto transmissions are less reliable. Here's an extra grand." No. They're going to give you the median value for your car, which will be less because it has a manual trans.
Flak, most Banks will not lend on vehicles over 100(k) on the odo. NADA is primarily for lender valuation of collateral. So, you're vehicle is un-lendable over 100(k) and the 01m8u2 is usually dead at 160(k) --- making that vehicle a parts car.

As to insurance: I am not running comprehensive on Muffy --- just liability coverage. On my 2003, I had a "stated value" policy ---- which meant I would get a check for my asserted value ;) . I will do the same with Muffy when it is all decked out.

As to the ultimate issue (i.e. best resale value) there is no argument that the manual will return the highest dollar amount. Is it really important where you get that best resale value? No .... only that the currency exists outside of a book.

Last edited: