Light metallic ticking sound under heavy load

AndrewAugust

TDI
WTB MK4 TDI Wagon
So a few months ago now, I was hypermiling on a tank to see what I could get. After that, and after the dealership replaced my turbo with a "new" rebuilt turbo under warranty (long story but it probably wasn't necessary), I now get a light metallic ticking sound whenever I accelerate hard under load, so any time I push the car. There's definitely an engagement point where at one point it isn't present then you push it a little harder and you can hear it.

To me it sounds like turbo fan blades. Seems to come from that location and sounds like fan blades or something. Either way, it's 100% consistent always there every time I drive. So it's not some phantom problem. But last time I had the car in the dealership I had them check that out and they said they didn't hear anything.

This sound was not present before the turbo swap they did, and it's certainly can't be doing any good for the car. I figure it's a sign of excessive friction somewhere, and therefore will only get worse with time.

Anyone hear this kind of sound before? I could probably get a sound clip of it if anyone wants.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Similar noise. Dealer couldn't hear it back when I had it in there countless times.. but then again, when was the last time you heard of a dealer actually fixing anything other than a vehicle with a missing wheel.

Sounds like little washers rattling around... I'm guessing a leak somewhere related to boost. I gave up on it about the time I gave up on VW.. so honestly don't care what it is. Car dies, I go buy a toyota.. Otherwise when something falls off.. aka when a dealership can actually diagnose something... I'll get it fixed.

On a nice day when I have nothing better to do... aka.. never... I'll get under the car and look for exhaust leaks.

Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat
I know the noise. Easiest to hear when driving up an enclosed parking ramp w/windows open. Don't know anything about it.

Dunno513, I wish you luck with your future Toyota. I'm back with another VW after premature toyota engine failure at 160,000 miles. Sigh, it just seems that no matter how hard we try, some of us will get screwed some of the time, no matter who the manufacturer is.

brad

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Any chance its the beginning of the dreaded camshaft/lifter failure? You may want to pulle the valve cover and take a look.

--Nate

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Lower EGR pipe could be leaking too, had a similar sound at first that eventually got a lot louder. Could only hear it under load.

andrewspearns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDi Highline
Update. My hissing noise can be likened to a rattle snake that gets going when the turbo kicks in. Took a look today, and the flex pipe on my EGR has separated into two pieces. Massive air leak. Crud.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
My guess would be a gasket leak between the turbo and head. When the turbo spools up, the exhaust manifold pressure goes up. Exhaust leak on one port will give a ticking sound.