Gen 1 TDI fix receives EPA approval

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
From VW:

Today, Volkswagen received approval from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and California Air Resources Board (CARB) for an emissions modification for affected Model Year 2009-2014 2.0L TDI vehicles with Generation 1 engines in connection with our settlement program. This includes the following vehicles:

VW Jetta TDI (Model Years 2009-2014)
VW Jetta SportWagen TDI (Model Years 2009-2014)
VW Golf TDI (Model Years 2010-2014)
VW Beetle TDI and VW Beetle Convertible TDI (Model Years 2012-2014)
Audi A3 TDI (2010-2013)

This modification has only been approved for customer owned or leased vehicles that remain in their possession. For clarity, the approval has not been provided for vehicles in VWGoA or dealer inventory for purposes of resale. In the coming weeks we will update you on the status of the availability of previously bought back vehicles for purchase and resale as well as the process for selling any remaining new dealer stock.

Good news.

atsffan

TDI
2013 Golf United Grey 6M 2 doors, no waiting.
Doesn't sound too brutal on the hardware side:

The fix includes software changes, but there are hardware changes as well. The original emissions modification agreement specified that Generation One 2.0L TDI models require a new exhaust flap, exhaust gas recirculation filter, and NOx trap, or other hardware that could complete the same function. New diagnostic functions to ensure that the new hardware is functional are also required.

This was on hybridcars.com

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Great news! I'm sure more than a few folks will be kicking themselves for taking the buyback option prematurely.

jekl843

TDI
2011 Golf TDI (sold), 2002 Jetta TDI 5spd, 2017 GTI SE 6spd
Great news! I'm sure more than a few folks will be kicking themselves for taking the buyback option prematurely.
*Kicking myself*

But I also had the APR Stage 1 tune and live in a state with emissions testing (ie. no snip snip). I can't imagine the current APR software would work reliably on a post-fix TDI and don't see them, or other tuners, spending time to create a post-fix tune.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
*Kicking myself*
But I also had the APR Stage 1 tune and live in a state with emissions testing (ie. no snip snip). I can't imagine the current APR software would work reliably on a post-fix TDI and don't see them, or other tuners, spending time to create a post-fix tune.
Huh? They won't be any harder to tune post fix then they ever were. Maybe Malone will finally release their stage 4 kit now. Fingers crossed!

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Exactly what I have been waiting for. Get fix, collect compensation, use compensation for tune and associated parts, drive it till the wheels fall off. It's a good day!

jekl843

TDI
2011 Golf TDI (sold), 2002 Jetta TDI 5spd, 2017 GTI SE 6spd
Huh? They won't be any harder to tune post fix then they ever were. Maybe Malone will finally release their stage 4 kit now. Fingers crossed!
If that's the case, then *thumbs up*. I was thinking with so many less on the road that they wouldn't spend any R&D time to fix their tune to work with the new hardware/software updates.

If they do, I just might try to track down my bought-back TDI and buy it for a second time! :p

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Nope. $18.5k after 7yrs, 195k km = a new Outback and the wife is happy.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
*Kicking myself*
Can't speak for APR but...

News flash: we are already tuning post-fix cars and the gen 1 cars will not be any different. Those are our bread and butter for the coming years so you better believe we will support them with tuning and go-fast parts. Time to dust off the projects that have been in the wings... ;)

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
Nope. $18.5k after 7yrs, 195k km = a new Outback and the wife is happy.
108,000 miles on my 2010 JSW. Sold for almost $16,000

Bought a 2015 GSW with 14,000 miles for $18,300

$2,300 to upgrade (and it is a nice upgrade) as well as a fairly new car. I was about to drop a few thousand $ on maintenance (DSG, timing belt...) of the $5100 I would have got.

No regrets and I got a sweet deal

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Very good news.
By the time the dust settles I suspect I will have about $16k CDN invested in my near pristine low mileage 2010 GSW c/w Containflo, Pureflo, Bilsteins and HID's, the mods purchased at lower pricing courtesy of Dieselgate.

Now on to the soundproofing, skid plate..., maybe I should have picked up that CR190 turbo and 3" exhaust��

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Gen 1:

"Extended Emissions Warranty shall be the greater of:

10 years 6 months or 126,000 miles from original service date.

or

4 years 6 months or 54,000 miles from the date of modification"

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
this generally means they will take my license away for old age before the car comes out of warranty. COOL

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
I haven't had a TDI in a while but if VW can sell what they've bought back, I could go for a JSW again for a 3rd family car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Custom - Funky Green. 99 NB TDI, 06 Jetta TDI
So, I don't see anything about hardware being added for urea injection. Are they doing the fix without DEF? That's kinda shocking.

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
My car is just too good to let it go so decided to keep mine either way, but this great news!
I feel exactly the same way...been driving TDI's for 14 years, no plans to stop now. Love these JSW's especially.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
So, I don't see anything about hardware being added for urea injection. Are they doing the fix without DEF? That's kinda shocking.
They made an agreement with the EPA to still be able to run above the NOx threshold, but just not as much as before.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Now I just have to submit the paperwork and collect my $5000+ with the fix. Our plan was to drive the JSW for 10 years and now it looks like we'll get to do that. Some of the money will go towards the 120k service and the rest will go towards my new truck. Finally got her to agree to a new GMC Canyon diesel. I just have to figure out where the rest of the money is coming from.

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
GMC Canyon diesel?! I had no idea they were producing one of those...but that sounds awesome.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Second year of production but they are few and far between. At least the 2016 model was limited to a maximum of 20% diesels due to worldwide demand of the 2.8l baby duramax. Engine is (was) designed and made in SE Asia. I guess the truck was also designed there. They are on the expensive side. List starts around $35K US and can run up over $50, if you really tart it up.

jeepnguy

TDI
2011 JSW
Got my appointment to get the fix done next week! I will keep you all posted on how it goes! They asked if I was just going to wait! That sounds pretty minor to me! They said there may be extra engine noise, will have to see about that.

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
Got my appointment to get the fix done next week! I will keep you all posted on how it goes! They asked if I was just going to wait! That sounds pretty minor to me! They said there may be extra engine noise, will have to see about that.
Awesome, I'm hoping I can get mine done next week also. But I read it's like a 5 hour fix, so you might tell them you want a loaner.